Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 08:01 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,316,388 times

Advertisements

How is it that we have decided that scriptures support our personal biases to ignore, reject and even take up arms against our neighbor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ2L-R8NgrA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 12:49 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,455,848 times
If anyone enjoys stand up comedians, you might find this:
ironic and funny provided you have a sense of humor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URr0O9aHW38

Old 11-23-2018, 05:56 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,033,631 times
I enjoyed both the videos.

Seth comes across as a cynic, appearing to have thrown the baby out with the bath water. I think there is middle ground for faith in the matters of being born from above, and learning what the Father is like. Everything else is negotiable after those 2 ideas, for me; ....who said what and what does it mean is only narrative (story telling) that is available for analysis and then incorporation or discarding. Perhaps many don't have faith because it really doesn't matter at the place they're at on the journey.

Last edited by Age-enduring; 11-23-2018 at 06:19 AM..

Old 11-23-2018, 09:27 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,441,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
Seth comes across as a cynic, appearing to have thrown the baby out with the bath water. I think there is middle ground for faith in the matters of being born from above, and learning what the Father is like. Everything else is negotiable after those 2 ideas, for me; ....who said what and what does it mean is only narrative (story telling) that is available for analysis and then incorporation or discarding. Perhaps many don't have faith because it really doesn't matter at the place they're at on the journey.
Sounds like a reasonable stance. And I agree, Seth does sound very cynical and angry. I don't begrudge him those feelings, but I hope for his sake he moves beyond them.

May I ask what "being born from above" means to you? (Not wanting to argue it with you, at all. I'm just genuinely interested in understanding more where you're coming from.)

Old 11-23-2018, 11:41 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,455,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Sounds like a reasonable stance. And I agree, Seth does sound very cynical and angry. I don't begrudge him those feelings, but I hope for his sake he moves beyond them.

May I ask what "being born from above" means to you? (Not wanting to argue it with you, at all. I'm just genuinely interested in understanding more where you're coming from.)
A higher way of perceiving things, instead of this earthly court of religion that has been established by men.

Old 11-23-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
A higher way of perceiving things, instead of this earthly court of religion that has been established by men.
That's a beautiful way of describing it. Thanks Jer.

Old 11-23-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:

Born from above is the literal Hebrew for born again, with respect to the Christian tradition. It has equivalents in other spiritual belief systems, though I'm not read up in those areas. It basically means one has had a revelation of knowing one is spirit first and foremost. I suppose the reason I'm not read up, is because after that initial revelation the next most important thing is knowing the Father.

The revelation of spirit is accepted by faith, and that faith is given. I think those are non negotiable for me, and another is that the belief in spirit and having faith is not to be held against those who don't profess to have them.

Old 11-23-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Born from above is the literal Hebrew for born again, with respect to the Christian tradition. It has equivalents in other spiritual belief systems, though I'm not read up in those areas. It basically means one has had a revelation of knowing one is spirit first and foremost. I suppose the reason I'm not read up, is because after that initial revelation the next most important thing is knowing the Father.

The revelation of spirit is accepted by faith, and that faith is given. I think those are non negotiable for me, and another is that the belief in spirit and having faith is not to be held against those who don't profess to have them.
Thanks Age. As I said, I have no intention of arguing with you, but even if I did, I wouldn't find anything in what you say to argue about. I couldn't agree more, really … a willingness to accept that we are spirit (a non-materialist view) allows us to move to the more important understanding that the "Father"/Source of our spirit is love. I do think, though, that there are plenty of materialists/atheists who live, experientially, as people who are "born again" in love. So while intellectual assent may be one aspect of "knowing", it must not be the most important one. Just my thoughts.

Old 11-23-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Thanks Age. As I said, I have no intention of arguing with you, but even if I did, I wouldn't find anything in what you say to argue about. I couldn't agree more, really … a willingness to accept that we are spirit (a non-materialist view) allows us to move to the more important understanding that the "Father"/Source of our spirit is love. I do think, though, that there are plenty of materialists/atheists who live, experientially, as people who are "born again" in love. So while intellectual assent may be one aspect of "knowing", it must not be the most important one. Just my thoughts.
Nice thought that - being born again in love. It is the essence and meaning of family and getting the chance to be a Mum or Dad in the flesh - what a more perfect example of something approaching the expression of unconditional love could there be, and without higher spiritual or intellectual assent. 😀

Old 11-23-2018, 01:59 PM

64,048 posts, read 40,340,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post

Quote:
That's a beautiful way of describing it. Thanks, Jer.

Quote:

The revelation of spirit is accepted by faith, and that faith is given.
Given BY the Father as in "born of God" (a conception by God, NOT a birth).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity