Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 06:43 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,149,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Where is this peace that the birth of Jesus is meant to have brought about and that so many religious people refer to at this time of year?
I think you are referring to Luke 2:14

Bible translations include:

"Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men."-KJV

"Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”-NIV

Sometimes it's good to read more than one Bible translation to get the gist of it

In this case the NIV translation nails it.

The shephards, Mary, Joseph, Anna the prophetess, etc upon seeing the infant Jesus experienced peace, joy, praised God. Then, as now, there is peace to those who recognize Jesus as the one through whom God will bring about peace to a worn torn planet AND who align there lives in a way that pleases God. There were also those who didn't experience that peace. Back then King Herod was one such person and the same is true to this day of many others.

Bottom line the scripture is telling us we experience peace when we align our lives in a way that pleases God. It's not about having worldwide peace because Jesus was born. Obviously peace on a worldwide scale is coming but not yet here. But, this is the time of year people want to experience the mood of the holidays so this scripture gets paraphrased in such ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 07:12 PM

3,220 posts, read 925,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
In those who emanate good will to all men. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts.
Peace is my gift to you. My peace is my farewell to you.

What you received as a gift, give as a gift.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:42 PM

3,220 posts, read 925,486 times
Quote:
To be in Christ means to be aware of being in the Light(Something i do not believe for 1 minute fundamentalists are), and in the Light you are aware that there is no separation from God and there never has been. It does not mean there are some in Christ and some are not. So being in Christ is being enlightened and that none of what the condemned mind thinks and believes exists there.
Think again.

This is the most blatant lack of understanding I have ever heard. Totally misrepresenting what Jesus said and meant.

"I am the light of the world. No one who follows me shall ever walk in darkness because he will possess the light of life."(The Father and the son)

Get it?

The light of life!! Meaning their light is life.

What is life but God's word.

"The words I spoke to you are spirit and life."(The Father and the son)

Without God's word one has no spirit, one has no life.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:13 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
To be in Christ means to be aware of being in the Light(Something i do not believe for 1 minute fundamentalists are), and in the Light you are aware that there is no separation from God and there never has been. It does not mean there are some in Christ and some are not. So being in Christ is being enlightened and that none of what the condemned mind thinks and believes exists there.
Well said, pcamps!

Old 11-26-2018, 08:28 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post

"Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”-NIV

Sometimes it's good to read more than one Bible translation to get the gist of it

In this case the NIV translation nails it.

The shephards, Mary, Joseph, Anna the prophetess, etc upon seeing the infant Jesus experienced peace, joy, praised God. Then, as now, there is peace to those who recognize Jesus as the one through whom God will bring about peace to a worn torn planet AND who align there lives in a way that pleases God. There were also those who didn't experience that peace. Back then King Herod was one such person and the same is true to this day of many others.

Bottom line the scripture is telling us we experience peace when we align our lives in a way that pleases God. It's not about having worldwide peace because Jesus was born. Obviously peace on a worldwide scale is coming but not yet here. But, this is the time of year people want to experience the mood of the holidays so this scripture gets paraphrased in such ways.
To me this nails it: Aramaic in Plain English

"Glory to God of the Heaven's and upon the earth, peace; and Good News to the children of men."

It is inclusive of peace to ALL upon the earth, not just some as you have indicated, perhaps you should expand your horizon to that of humanity and not a particular religious sect. But I have no doubt that HIS FAVOR rests upon the children of MEN for such is the Kingdom of heaven. It's amazing that children are not biased or prejudice, until they are taught to be by the adults who should be extending the hand of friendship.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:12 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
To be in Christ means to be aware of being in the Light, and in the Light you are aware that there is no separation from God and there never has been. It does not mean there are some in Christ and some are not. So being in Christ is being enlightened and that none of what the condemned mind thinks and believes exists there.
Men have drawn lines in the sand from the dark recesses of their own mind.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:53 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Sometimes it's good to read more than one Bible translation to get the gist of it.
We can all check a Greek Interlinear ( Greek/English) translation.
Where it says...' and upon earth peace in men of well thinking.'
So, it is Peace on Earth toward men of goodwill (thinking), or on Earth peace among men of goodwill/ thinking.
That means people whom God approves, such as the humble figurative ' sheep ' of Matthew 25:31-33,37,40.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:10 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
Quote:
Where is this peace that the birth of Jesus is meant to have brought about and that so many religious people refer to at this time of year?
Like everything covered in the Bible, it's addressing your internal life -- some say "spiritual" life, or what's in your heart. Once it's attained inside, it will manifest in your behavior.

As for where it is out here in the external? Find a person that actually practices the Christ's teaching and you will see that peace.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:25 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
I find ' where is this peace (on earth ) that Jesus (Messiah) is meant to ' bring ' about ' .
This Peace on Earth among men of goodwill is when Jesus begins his thousand-year governmental rule over Earth.
For now this ' peace' is in knowing about Jesus (John 17:3) and looking forward to calendar Day One of Jesus' coming millennium-long day of governing over Earth when there will be ' healing ' for earth's nations as per Rev. 22:2.
That is why we are all invited to pray the invitation of Rev. 22:20 for Jesus to come !
Come and bring the benefits of ' healing ' to earth's nations when Earth will be as described in the 35th chapter of Isaiah.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:16 PM

1,382 posts, read 768,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Romans 8:1 "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." That's peace.

When he comes back, those that reject him will be cast in the lake of fire, and there will be lasting peace for all eternity.
I am thinking that the "goats" (Matthew 25:33) will "depart".. "into the eternal fire" (Matthew 25:41), which would parallel Ezekiel 34:17, whereas "I" (Ezekiel 34:17) will judge between the "sheep" and the "rams" and the "male goats". The "goats" would evidently refer to the "shepherds" who ate the "fat", did not seek the lost, or heal the diseased, and who did not feed the flock (Ezekiel 34:3) & (Zechariah 11:16).

As for the goats, the shepherds who do not heal the diseased, they take their pound of fat (Ezekiel 34:3) for visiting the sick and dying in their death beds, and giving them false hope of immediate eternal bliss upon their death. The message is best lost on the living, for the dying are often so heavily sedated, they often have no cognizance of what is going on. They will find their peace, escape from suffering, in the grave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity