Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 08:56 PM

9 posts, read 3,640 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I hope this is the right forum for this question. Rabbi Michael Skobac (Jews for Judaism) says it’s impossible for Jesus to be the Messiah. He cites issues of improper tracing of tribal lineage on both sides of Jesus’ line (adoptive father, Joseph, came from the cursed line of Jeconiah; mother, Mary, cannot pass down tribal lineage due to gender). Is he right?

Things like this really scramble my faith. 🙃
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 09:06 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Garnet View Post
Hi everyone! I hope this is the right forum for this question. Rabbi Michael Skobac (Jews for Judaism) says it’s impossible for Jesus to be the Messiah. He cites issues of improper tracing of tribal lineage on both sides of Jesus’ line (adoptive father, Joseph, came from the cursed line of Jeconiah; mother, Mary, cannot pass down tribal lineage due to gender). Is he right?

Things like this really scramble my faith. ��
The New Testament writers certainly portray Jesus as a descendant of David. It's to be expected that a Jewish rabbi who rejects Jesus as the Messiah would deny that Jesus is of the line of David. Since Jesus was born of a virgin, without the involvement of a human father, then his biological connection with David had to be through Mary despite what Jewish law may say about it, and despite difficulties with how the genealogies in the Gospels are to be understood. Shortly after Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection, thousands of Jews, as attested in the book of Acts came to believe that Jesus was the Messiah.

Last edited by Michael Way; 05-20-2019 at 09:52 PM..

Old 05-20-2019, 09:18 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:

The real question is, "Does it matter?"

Old 05-20-2019, 09:28 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Evidently, it matters to the poster or else he/she would not have stated it mattered... but if he/she hangs around long enough they'll soon learn to drop it and fall in line.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:32 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:

The rabbi is correct. Why would you think he is wrong?

Old 05-20-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Yes, it matters. The Old Testament Messianic prophecies speak of David having a descendant who would sit on the throne forever. The New Testament portrays Jesus as the fulfillment of those prophecies.

Isaiah 9:1-7 is one such Messianic prophecy. In Acts 2:22-36 Peter proclaims that Jesus is the descendant who would sit on the throne of David.

If there is any historical value in the Bible, and I fully believe that there is, then it absolutely matters if Jesus is the fulfillment of the Messianic prophecies in the Old Testament.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Evidently, it matters to the poster or else he/she would not have stated it mattered... but if he/she hangs around long enough they'll soon learn to drop it and fall in line.
You are quite the cynic.

Perhaps he will consider my question in the spirit in which it was intended--for thought.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Yes, it matters. The Old Testament Messianic prophecies speak of David having a descendant who would sit on the throne. The New Testament portrays Jesus as the fulfillment of those prophecies.

Isaiah 9:1-7 is one such Messianic prophecy. In Acts 2:22-36 Peter proclaims that Jesus is the descendant who would sit on the throne of David.

If there is any historical value in the Bible, and I fully believe that there is, then it absolutely matters if Jesus is the fulfillment of the Messianic prophecies in the Old Testament.
Thanks. While I am not sure I agree that it does matter, I am often impressed with the balance of logic and Christian spirituality in your theological assessments, Mike555. You could almost pass for an Episcopalian.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:07 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
The rabbi is correct. Why would you think he is wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Yes, it matters. The Old Testament Messianic prophecies speak of David having a descendant who would sit on the throne forever. The New Testament portrays Jesus as the fulfillment of those prophecies.
Clearly, the Israelis expected the Messiah to be a worldly King which Jesus is definitely NOT and He said as much. That is why the Israelis mistakenly rejected Jesus as the spiritual Messiah GOD intended to send. The Israelis do not have the authority to determine what God intended, especially since God's concerns are Spiritual, NOT worldly. Still expecting a worldly King in denial of the real spiritual Messiah God sent is just unbelievably silly. Worldly Kings are an endangered species in today's world.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks. While I am not sure I agree that it does matter, I am often impressed with the balance of logic and Christian spirituality in your theological assessments, Mike555.
Thank you.
Quote:
You could almost pass for an Episcopalian.
Ah. . . well . . , hummm . . . I can live with that.

Points of agreement I have with the Episcopalian church.
That is not how The Episcopal Church tends to approach faith and belief. Our list of “non-negotiable” points are very few, and largely shared with most every other Christian tradition. Those relatively few points are:

•There is one God, who is a Trinity of Persons.
•The First Person of the Trinity, traditionally called “Father,” created all things at the beginning of time.
•Jesus Christ, the very human rabbi from 2000 years ago, was and is the Son of God, the Second Person of the Trinity, and our Savior.
•The Holy Scriptures (the Bible) are the revealed word of God, written by human beings under the inspiration and guidance of the Holy Spirit, who is the Third Person of the Trinity. The Bible contains all things necessary for salvation.

https://episcopaldiocesefortworth.or...lians-believe/
Although with regard to the second bullet point, according to John 1:3, Col. 1:16 and Hebrews 1:10 it was the preincarnate Jesus who did the actual work of creation. The Father just gave the command for Jesus to do the work.

Last edited by Michael Way; 05-20-2019 at 10:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity