Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 12:12 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,051,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hball72 View Post
You got me. You know more about the 8th son of Jesse than I do. I feel so ashamed.
Yishai’s son, Elihu, is not mentioned in I Chronicles 2:13-16...So, in actuality, the eighth son is David...The youngest...

Last edited by Richard1965; 06-07-2019 at 12:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 01:06 AM

3,061 posts, read 916,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Yishai’s son, Elihu, is not mentioned in I Chronicles 2:13-16...So, in actuality, the eighth son is David...The youngest...
According to Young’s Analytical Concordance to the Bible, Eliab, the eldest son of Jesse, is one and the same person as Elihu, who in 1 Chronicles 27 18; is one of the heads of their fathers houses, in Elihu/Eliab’s case, the head of the house of Judah.

See 1 Chronicles, for the line of heads from Eliab/Elihu to Judah. Eliab/Elihu, (David's brother) Jesse, Obed, Boaz, Salmon, Nahshon, Amminadab, Ram, Hezon, Perez, Judah.

Eliab, who is also called Elihu and is the eldest son of Jesse and half brother to David, was the head of the house of Judah 1 Chronicles 27: 18.

https://www.bibleapps.com/e/eliab.htm

(3) Eldest son of Jesse and brother of David (1 Samuel 16:6), once called Elihu (1 Chronicles 27:18). He was of commanding appearance (1 Samuel 16:6) and when serving with Saul's army at the time when it was confronting the Philistines and Goliath, was inclined to lord it over his brother David (1 Samuel 17:28 f). His daughter Abihail became a Wife of Rehoboam (2 Chronicles 11:18).

Last edited by The Anointed; 06-07-2019 at 01:26 AM..

Old 06-07-2019, 12:21 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
It appears from the parallel places of Samuel, that Jesse had eight sons, of whom David was the eighth and youngest; but one may have died before David came to the throne. So, is the focus on his name, or on his relationship status (i.e., adopted)?

Old 06-07-2019, 01:36 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,051,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anointed View Post
According to Young’s Analytical Concordance to the Bible, Eliab, the eldest son of Jesse, is one and the same person as Elihu, who in 1 Chronicles 27 18; is one of the heads of their fathers houses, in Elihu/Eliab’s case, the head of the house of Judah.

See 1 Chronicles, for the line of heads from Eliab/Elihu to Judah. Eliab/Elihu, (David's brother) Jesse, Obed, Boaz, Salmon, Nahshon, Amminadab, Ram, Hezon, Perez, Judah.

Eliab, who is also called Elihu and is the eldest son of Jesse and half brother to David, was the head of the house of Judah 1 Chronicles 27: 18.

https://www.bibleapps.com/e/eliab.htm

(3) Eldest son of Jesse and brother of David (1 Samuel 16:6), once called Elihu (1 Chronicles 27:18). He was of commanding appearance (1 Samuel 16:6) and when serving with Saul's army at the time when it was confronting the Philistines and Goliath, was inclined to lord it over his brother David (1 Samuel 17:28 f). His daughter Abihail became a Wife of Rehoboam (2 Chronicles 11:18).
You’re using Christian sources to decipher a Jewish document...

Old 06-07-2019, 01:36 PM

11,902 posts, read 3,709,906 times
Quote:
When you say; "“Jesus” has been made up from the inspirations that were given to the apostles." Are you suggesting that Jesus was not an historical figure, and that the witness given to us by the Apostles and gospel writers, of the words spoken through Jesus and the miracles that the Lord performed through his chosen prophet, were not actual factual ?

Your quotations from the book of Revelation, written by John who was spiritually/mentally carried forward in time to the day of the Lord, are in reference to the worthless shepherd that the Lord said that he would raise up in the Land, to guide his stubborn flock after He, who revealed himself to us through his chosen earthly host body, 'The Man Jesus,' had been paid his majestic wage of thirty pieces of silver, (See Zechariah 12: 11-17) The great prostitute who sits on the seven hills of Rome.
Quote:
And I agree, as long as a person who lived some six thousand years ago, who would never have read the scriptures, nor heard about Jesus, treated his neighbors as he himself would wish to be treated, that person is in line for the salvation, but don't you realise that every time a mystery is solved, it opens new windows that shed more light on the words of the Lord God our savior.

The Hebrew bible from which the Latin OT was translated, claims that Arpachshad is the father of Shelah, while Luke, who was taught from the Greek Septuagint, reveals that Cainam/Kainam the son of Arpachshad, is the actual father of Shelah.

The Septuagint, is a Greek translation of the Hebrew bible by Jews, that was in existence at the time of their translation, some two hundred years before Jesus, while the Aleppo Codex, the oldest Hebrew Bible that has survived to modern times, was created by scribes called Masoretes in Tiberias, Israel around 930 C.E. See Wikipedi.

It is from the Aleppo Codex that Jerome and others translated the Roman OT in the fourth century

Although You couldn't care less, You will never know if the walls of Jericho were brought down 40 years after the exodus or 200 years after that event, according to the Roman OT.

Was Abraham and his descendants, in the land of 'CANAAN AND EGYPT' for 430 years, as stated in the Septuagint, or only in the 'LAND OF EGYPT' for 430 years as stated in the Roman OT as translated from the Aleppo Codex?

I realise that you couldn't care less, but those who seek the truth do. And they also search the scriptures to discover, who the eighth son of Jesse is, the eighth son who is not recorded in the genealogy of Jesse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
It appears from the parallel places of Samuel, that Jesse had eight sons, of whom David was the eighth and youngest; but one may have died before David came to the throne. So, is the focus on his name, or on his relationship status (i.e., adopted)?
When I read the bible I know that there are metaphors, parables, symbols in there both because the scriptures say it and from reality

Jesus being the son of David, the son of Jesse and how many sons did Jesse have seem to be related

The things written in the scriptures may or may not be historically true but it seems to me that the seven sons of Jesse are the physical sons that are rejected, like the firstborn does not get the inheritance, and The eighth is David .... it is not about the physical David, just like it is not about the physical Jesus, it is about the Christ .... it seems to me they are both types, symbols

1Sa 16:1 And Jehovah said to Samuel, Until when will you mourn for Saul, for I have rejected him from reigning over Israel? Fill your horn with oil and go. I will send you to Jesse the Bethlehemite, for I have seen a king for Me among his sons.
1Sa 16:2 And Samuel said, How can I go? When Saul hears, then he will kill me. And Jehovah said, You shall take a heifer from the herd in your hand, and shall say, I have come to sacrifice to Jehovah.

1Sa 16:6 And it happened as they came in, that he saw Eliab, and said, Surely His anointed is before Jehovah.
1Sa 16:7 And Jehovah said to Samuel, Do not look on his appearance, nor to the height of his stature, for I have rejected him. For man does not see what He sees. For man looks for the eyes, but Jehovah looks for the heart.
1Sa 16:8 And Jesse called to Abinadab, and he passed him before Samuel but he said, Also Jehovah has not chosen this one.

1Sa 16:10 And Jesse passed seven of his sons before Samuel, but Samuel said to Jesse, Jehovah has not chosen among these.
1Sa 16:11 And Samuel said to Jesse, Are these all the young men? And he said, There yet remains the youngest; and behold, he is feeding the flock. And Samuel said to Jesse, Send and bring him, for we will not sit until he comes here.

1Sa 16:13 And Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the midst of his brothers. And the Spirit of Jehovah came upon David from that day and onward. And Samuel rose up and went to Ramah.

Samuel seems to be a type for john Baptising Jesus

Old 06-07-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
When I read the bible I know that there are metaphors, parables, symbols in there both because the scriptures say it and from reality

Jesus being the son of David, the son of Jesse and how many sons did Jesse have seem to be related

The things written in the scriptures may or may not be historically true but it seems to me that the seven sons of Jesse are the physical sons that are rejected, like the firstborn does not get the inheritance, and The eighth is David .... it is not about the physical David, just like it is not about the physical Jesus, it is about the Christ .... it seems to me they are both types, symbols

1Sa 16:1 And Jehovah said to Samuel, Until when will you mourn for Saul, for I have rejected him from reigning over Israel? Fill your horn with oil and go. I will send you to Jesse the Bethlehemite, for I have seen a king for Me among his sons.
1Sa 16:2 And Samuel said, How can I go? When Saul hears, then he will kill me. And Jehovah said, You shall take a heifer from the herd in your hand, and shall say, I have come to sacrifice to Jehovah.

1Sa 16:6 And it happened as they came in, that he saw Eliab, and said, Surely His anointed is before Jehovah.
1Sa 16:7 And Jehovah said to Samuel, Do not look on his appearance, nor to the height of his stature, for I have rejected him. For man does not see what He sees. For man looks for the eyes, but Jehovah looks for the heart.
1Sa 16:8 And Jesse called to Abinadab, and he passed him before Samuel but he said, Also Jehovah has not chosen this one.

1Sa 16:10 And Jesse passed seven of his sons before Samuel, but Samuel said to Jesse, Jehovah has not chosen among these.
1Sa 16:11 And Samuel said to Jesse, Are these all the young men? And he said, There yet remains the youngest; and behold, he is feeding the flock. And Samuel said to Jesse, Send and bring him, for we will not sit until he comes here.

1Sa 16:13 And Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the midst of his brothers. And the Spirit of Jehovah came upon David from that day and onward. And Samuel rose up and went to Ramah.

Samuel seems to be a type for john Baptising Jesus
So you believe that Samuel anointing David the seventh biological son, who is recorded in the genealogy of Jesse, is an actual historical event, and that the 8th son of Jesse, who is not recorded in his genealogy is among the seven older brothers of David. Am I correct?

Old 06-07-2019, 03:42 PM

11,902 posts, read 3,709,906 times
Quote:
So you believe that Samuel anointing David the seventh biological son, who is recorded in the genealogy of Jesse, is an actual historical event, and that the 8th son of Jesse, who is not recorded in his genealogy is among the seven older brothers of David. Am I correct?
I make no decisions about what is historical or not in the scriptures, I just don’t think the point of the scriptures is a history book

I suspect that they are not literal events though however it makes no difference to me as a person if those things are historical events

Gen 1:1 �� In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth;
Gen 1:2 and the earth being without form and empty, and darkness on the face of the deep, and the Spirit of God moving gently on the face of the waters,

Gen 1:14 And God said, Let luminaries be in the expanse of the heavens, to divide between the day and the night. And let them be for signs and for seasons, and for days and years.
Gen 1:15 And let them be for luminaries in the expanse of the heavens, to give light on the earth. And it was so.

Idolatry Forbidden

Deu 4:15 Therefore you shall carefully watch over your souls, for you have not seen any likeness in the day Jehovah spoke to you in Horeb out of the midst of the fire,
Deu 4:16 that you not deal corruptly, and make for yourselves a graven image, a likeness of any figure, the form of a male or female,
Deu 4:17 the form of any animal in the earth; the form of any winged bird that flies in the heavens;
Deu 4:18 the form of any creeping thing on the ground; the form of any fish in the waters under the earth;
Deu 4:19 and that you not lift up your eyes towards the heavens and shall see the sun, and the heavens, and you be drawn away and worship them, and serve them; which Jehovah your God has allotted to all the peoples under all the heavens.

Deu 4:20 And Jehovah has taken you, and has brought you forth out of the iron furnace, out of Egypt, to be a people to Him, an inheritance, as it is this day.

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 1:2 He was in the beginning with God.
Joh 1:3 All things came into being through Him, and without Him not even one thing came into being that has come into being.
Joh 1:4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men;
Joh 1:5 and the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overtake it.
Joh 1:6 There was a man sent from God; his name was John.
Joh 1:7 He came for a witness,
that he might witness concerning the Light, that all might believe through Him.

Rev 1:1 A Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave to Him to show to His slaves things which must occur quickly. And He signified by sending through His angel to His slave, John,
Rev 1:2 who testified of the Word of God and the witness of Jesus Christ
, even as many things as he saw.
Rev 1:3 Blessed is the one reading, and those hearing the Words of this prophecy, and keeping the things having been written; for the time is near.

What I believe is that the people, dates, times, names are not to be used in worship and have meaning but they are to be understood in context of the spiritual not the Literal and not by the individual but the group

Old 06-07-2019, 03:58 PM

Why did Jesse not have David present when the Prophet Samuel came to choose a man to be God’s anointed (1 Samuel 16:1-13)? And, why did his eldest brother Eliab react the way he did - when David later showed up at the Israelite camp (1 Samuel 17:28)?

Old 06-07-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Why did Jesse not have David present when the Prophet Samuel came to choose a man to be God’s anointed (1 Samuel 16:1-13)? And, why did his eldest brother Eliab react the way he did - when David later showed up at the Israelite camp (1 Samuel 17:28)?
I enjoy mysteries, so was just wondering about a few things. Perhaps, I will look into it a bit more myself.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I make no decisions about what is historical or not in the scriptures, I just don’t think the point of the scriptures is a history book

I suspect that they are not literal events though however it makes no difference to me as a person if those things are historical events

Gen 1:1 �� In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth;
Gen 1:2 and the earth being without form and empty, and darkness on the face of the deep, and the Spirit of God moving gently on the face of the waters,

Gen 1:14 And God said, Let luminaries be in the expanse of the heavens, to divide between the day and the night. And let them be for signs and for seasons, and for days and years.
Gen 1:15 And let them be for luminaries in the expanse of the heavens, to give light on the earth. And it was so.

Idolatry Forbidden

Deu 4:15 Therefore you shall carefully watch over your souls, for you have not seen any likeness in the day Jehovah spoke to you in Horeb out of the midst of the fire,
Deu 4:16 that you not deal corruptly, and make for yourselves a graven image, a likeness of any figure, the form of a male or female,
Deu 4:17 the form of any animal in the earth; the form of any winged bird that flies in the heavens;
Deu 4:18 the form of any creeping thing on the ground; the form of any fish in the waters under the earth;
Deu 4:19 and that you not lift up your eyes towards the heavens and shall see the sun, and the heavens, and you be drawn away and worship them, and serve them; which Jehovah your God has allotted to all the peoples under all the heavens.

Deu 4:20 And Jehovah has taken you, and has brought you forth out of the iron furnace, out of Egypt, to be a people to Him, an inheritance, as it is this day.

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 1:2 He was in the beginning with God.
Joh 1:3 All things came into being through Him, and without Him not even one thing came into being that has come into being.
Joh 1:4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men;
Joh 1:5 and the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overtake it.
Joh 1:6 There was a man sent from God; his name was John.
Joh 1:7 He came for a witness,
that he might witness concerning the Light, that all might believe through Him.

Rev 1:1 A Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave to Him to show to His slaves things which must occur quickly. And He signified by sending through His angel to His slave, John,
Rev 1:2 who testified of the Word of God and the witness of Jesus Christ
, even as many things as he saw.
Rev 1:3 Blessed is the one reading, and those hearing the Words of this prophecy, and keeping the things having been written; for the time is near.

What I believe is that the people, dates, times, names are not to be used in worship and have meaning but they are to be understood in context of the spiritual not the Literal and not by the individual but the group
Meerkat2 wrote...….. Gen 1:1 �� In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth;

This is the condensed account of creation as recorded in Genesis’.....…”In the beginning God created the universe, and the (heavens, and the earth) were formless and void and darkness was upon the face of the deep and God’s active force was moving on the face of the waters. Then God said let there be light.”

Here is the scientific theory of creation........In the beginning, there was the “BIG BANG” which is said to have spatially separated the supposed infinitely dense, infinitely hot, infinitesimally small singularity, which in my opinion was the White Hole at the end of the Great Abyss into which the previous universe had descended, this event spewed out a liquid like soup of electromagnetic energy in the trillions of degrees, it was from the quantum of that plasma liquid-like electromagnetic energy that the earth and all the heavenly bodies would be created, and although, all that the earth was created from, was already there in the beginning, the earth at that time had neither shape or mass, which meant it was formless and void, and no suns had yet come into existence to light up the darkness of the expanding space. But there was momentum within that ever-cooling cosmic cloud of wave particles, which wave particles are the quantum of that liquid like electromagnetic energy, and are not really particles at all as they have zero mass and no electric charge, yet they carry angular and linear momentum.

One would expect, that those wave particles which are the quantum of the liquid like electromagnetic energy, would have continued to expand further and further away from each other in the expansion of the universal building material.

But with the angular momentum of those waves, they collided with each other in nuclear fusion in the creation of the first basic sub-atomic particles. As the universal temperature dropped to some billions of degrees, the dark energy which was the expansion’s acceleration force, began to form into dark matter, hydrogen and helium, with trace quantities of lithium, beryllium, and boron.

As the universe expanded and cooled, more hydrogen molecules were formed, and from these, after some thirty million years of attraction, came the formation of the first gigantic stars, [Massive atomic reactors] from which the galaxies would later be created.

And God said, “Let there be light.” Which was not the light from the sun of this minor solar system within our Milky Way galaxy, which solar system would not be created for some nine billion years after those first massive stars that lit up the darkness of the bottomless pit.

Bursting into life and light throughout the primitive universe over an unknown period of time, those first generation stars would have been thousands upon thousands of times as massive as our Sun and millions of times as bright, but each one burned for only a few million years before meeting a violent end, when they exploded out in a brilliant flash before collapsing in upon themselves creating the massive centrally condensed systems called ‘Black Holes,’ in which the greater percentage of their mass was trapped. The first creative day ended as all those gigantic stars collapsed Those first gigantic stars, from which the galaxies would later be created and which would have been collapsing in upon themselves, and evening descended as the lights of the universe went out, and the black holes devoured each other, and darkness covered the contracting space.

According to the ancient cultures, we live in an eternal oscillating universe that expands outward and contracts back to its beginning in space time. A universe that exists in the two states of seemingly visible matter and invisible energy=anti-matter.

“Universe after universe is like an interminable succession of wheels forever coming into view, forever rolling onwards, disappearing and reappearing; forever passing from being to non-being, and again from non-being to being. In short, the constant revolving of the wheel of life in one eternal cycle, according to fixed and immutable laws, is perhaps after all, the sum and substance of the philosophy of Buddhism. And this eternal wheel has so to speak, six spokes representing six forms of existence.” ---- Mon. Williams, Buddhism, pp. 229, 122.

The days and nights of Brahma are called Manvantara, or the cycle of manifestation, ‘The Great Day,’ which is a period of universal activity, that is preceded, and also followed by ‘Pralaya,’ a dark period, which to our finite minds would seem as an eternity, or but a moment in time.

‘Manvantara,’ is a creative day as seen in the six days of creation in Genesis, ‘Pralaya,’ is the evening that proceeds the next creative day. The six periods of Creation and the seventh day of rest in which we now exist are referred to in the book of Genesis as the “GENERATIONS OF THE UNIVERSE.”

The English word “Generation,” is translated from the Hebrew “toledoth” which is used in the Old Testament in every instance as ‘births,’ or ‘descendants,’ such as “These are the generations of Adam,” or “these are the generations of Abraham, and Genesis 2: 4; These are the generations of the Universe or the heavens and earth, etc. And the ‘Great Day’ in which the seven generations of the universe are eternally repeated, is the eternal cosmic period, or the eighth eternal day in which those who attain to perfection are allowed to enter, where they shall be surrounded by great light and they shall experience eternal peace, while those who do not attain to perfection are cast back into the refining fires of the seven physical cycles of endless rebirths that perpetually revolve within the eighth eternal cosmic cycle.

Enoch the righteous, wrote that God created an eighth day also, so that it should be the first after his works, and it is a day eternal with neither hours, days, weeks, months or years, for all time is stuck together in one eon, etc, etc, and all who enter into the generation of the Light beings, are able to visit all those worlds that still exist in Space-Time, but not in our time.

A series of worlds following one upon the other-- each world rising a step higher than the previous world, so that every later world brings to ripeness the seeds that were imbedded in the former, and itself then prepares the seed for the universe that will follow it. This is the true resurrection in which all from the previous cycle of universal activity, who still have the judgmental war raging within them, are born again into the endless cycles of physical manifestation, or rebirths.

Was the earth created before our minor sun, as is revealed in the Bible? And did life begin to evolve on earth before our sun burst into life? And could the complexity of life as seen on the earth today, have evolved over the comparatively short period of a mere 4.6 billion years from the day when the earth was created?

But, you can't use this information that supports the biblical account of creation in your worship can you?

And what has any of this to do with the eighth son of Jesse, who is older than his brother David and is not recorded in the genealogy of Jesse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity