Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2023, 07:19 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times

Advertisements

Christians are always talking about how Jesus satisfied the demands of justice, and yet I just realized that nowhere in the entire New Testament is the word "justice" found. That's awfully strange, since it's supposedly such an important concept.

Now, I do believe that Jesus conquered death in order that we might also conquer death, and I believe that through our faithfulness to Him, we are promised an abundance of heavenly blessings some day. But I can't find anything to support the notion that He needed to die in order to appease God's anger over something we supposedly owed Him and couldn't pay Him.

Where is justice in the New Testament?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2023, 07:50 PM

19,979 posts, read 13,459,195 times
That's an excellent question. Justice is really more of an Old Testament concept.

I suppose that theologians would say that grace is what Jesus provided, rather than justice. And that's very much a NT concept. Grace is defined as "unmerited favor" so that is how it satisfies justice, which is no longer then an issue.

Of course all these questions hinge on the concept of "sin", the missing of the mark, and god's concern with not being tainted thereby -- otherwise there'd be no justice to run afoul of or to need to be reconciled concerning. I personally don't see the coherence in that concept anymore, so questions of justice and grace don't enter into my calculus.

Old 11-07-2023, 08:18 PM

33,225 posts, read 26,422,483 times
The word 'justice' may not be found in the NT but the concept certainly is with the book of Revelation being a very obvious example of God's judgment on the world. As for God being appeased by Jesus' death, the Greek word is ἱλαστήριον - hilastērion which means to propitiate or appease and is found in Romans 3:25, Hebrews 2:17, 1 John 2:2, and 1 John 4:10.

Romans 3:25 directly links propitiation or appeasement for our sins with the blood or death of Christ. Also, since God is just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Christ as per Romans 3:26, the concept of justice is involved. Justice can either condemn or bless depending on the circumstance.

Last edited by Michael Way; 11-07-2023 at 08:27 PM..

Old 11-07-2023, 08:40 PM

23,141 posts, read 10,434,069 times
The word justice is in the NT in several books, anytime I ever look up anything I type biblehub, it's a way better source than most.

Old 11-07-2023, 10:11 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
The word justice is in the NT in several books, anytime I ever look up anything I type biblehub, it's a way better source than most.
I just did a search of the KJV and didn't come up with anything.

Old 11-07-2023, 10:13 PM

1,810 posts, read 898,225 times
Good article from the IHPC on the missing “Justice” word in the New Testament.

https://iphc.org/gso/2019/04/15/unde...f%20heaven.”

“Justice is a primary theme in the New Testament from Matthew to Revelation. In the earliest stage of His ministry, Jesus announced that His mission was going to be directed toward the poor, the captives, the blind, and the oppressed (Luke 4:18-19). This inaugural address provided a signal that Christ’s heart would be toward the lost, the least, and the last.

Many Bible readers fail to grasp the importance that the Scriptures place on justice. One of the reasons for this involves the Greek term dikaiosune. Most English translations, including the beloved King James Version, render this word as “righteousness.”

However, a strong case may be made that “justice” is the better term to use in a number of passages. For example, in Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount, He expresses this language over a half a dozen times, therefore making justice a dominant theme of His discourse. Consider these examples:

Matthew 5:6: “Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall be filled.”

Matthew 5:10: “Blessed are they which are persecuted for justice’s sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”

Matthew 6:20: “For I say unto you, that except your justice shall exceed the justice of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.”

Matthew 6:33: “But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His justice; and all these things shall be added unto you.”

Old 11-07-2023, 11:51 PM

10,442 posts, read 6,969,439 times
Justice is done in heaven. Judgement is done Earth.

Old 11-08-2023, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I just did a search of the KJV and didn't come up with anything.
It's not that many times and there is still a point, I mean with what the word means.

Old 11-08-2023, 02:17 AM

Maybe it's not in the king James, and I pretty much hang with James most of the time.

Old 11-08-2023, 05:59 AM

2,412 posts, read 1,445,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
Good article from the IHPC on the missing “Justice” word in the New Testament.

https://iphc.org/gso/2019/04/15/unde...f%20heaven.”

“Justice is a primary theme in the New Testament from Matthew to Revelation. In the earliest stage of His ministry, Jesus announced that His mission was going to be directed toward the poor, the captives, the blind, and the oppressed (Luke 4:18-19). This inaugural address provided a signal that Christ’s heart would be toward the lost, the least, and the last.

Many Bible readers fail to grasp the importance that the Scriptures place on justice. One of the reasons for this involves the Greek term dikaiosune. Most English translations, including the beloved King James Version, render this word as “righteousness.”

However, a strong case may be made that “justice” is the better term to use in a number of passages. For example, in Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount, He expresses this language over a half a dozen times, therefore making justice a dominant theme of His discourse. Consider these examples:

Matthew 5:6: “Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall be filled.”

Matthew 5:10: “Blessed are they which are persecuted for justice’s sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”

Matthew 6:20: “For I say unto you, that except your justice shall exceed the justice of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.”

Matthew 6:33: “But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His justice; and all these things shall be added unto you.”

I like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity