Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 10:54 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times

Advertisements

I received a book a few weeks back that has been riding on the console of my car since I got it.

It's called "Pagan Christianity: Exploring the Roots of Our Church Practices"

It's written by Frank Viola and George Barna.

A brief scan of the book and just hunt and read excerpts tells me this is one I'd like to discuss with others.

So, if you're interested in a group read, post in this thread and let's work out the logistics.

Here's a link to the book on Amazon, complete with descriptions and reviews.

Amazon.com: Pagan Christianity?: Exploring the Roots of Our Church Practices: Frank Viola,George Barna: Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 12:25 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Sounds good to me Alpha,..I ordered the book and will decide after reading it if I can discuss it on an intellectual level..I also ordered another one by Frank Viola..I never could order just one

Old 04-14-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Sounds good to me Alpha,..I ordered the book and will decide after reading it if I can discuss it on an intellectual level..I also ordered another one by Frank Viola..I never could order just one
Thanks blue!

I think it's going to be interesting. I hope it's not too intellectual for me too!

Old 04-14-2008, 01:42 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,276,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

I hope it's not too intellectual for me too!
You guys hope it's not "too intellectual" for YOU!?

Give June a break! Heck, I'm just hoping I can get past the introduction!

So, based on that, is it okay if the secularist, heathen shrink joins in too?

Old 04-14-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
You guys hope it's not "too intellectual" for YOU!?

Give June a break! Heck, I'm just hoping I can get past the introduction!

So, based on that, is it okay if the secularist, heathen shrink joins in too?
I'm on a constant search for Truth.

Honest. Pure.

Just looking for what God has for me.

If you wanna join and see what this little endeavor holds for us all, we welcome you!

And feel free to ask any questions you may not 'get'---something like 'you mean this actually happens in church!!'. LOL

Let's just see what happens!

Old 04-14-2008, 02:06 PM

Yep, June we really want you in this thread..We will do our best to withhold saying things like.."See there, June".."Told ya so June"..and the forum favorite "Ain't nothin wrong with your ears June, so listen closely to the music".

Old 04-14-2008, 02:37 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,276,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

And feel free to ask any questions you may not 'get'---something like 'you mean this actually happens in church!!'. LOL

Let's just see what happens!

Huh?

June just read the above, along with Blue's post.

Hey, June is brave! June is always up for a good challenge! Bring it on, June says!

Just tell me up front, going into it, before I order from Amazon:

Is this the book that's gunna make June connect the music with the band?

June might need to:

Take gentle reading care!

Old 04-14-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Is this the book that's gunna make June connect the music with the band?
Not at all.

This book is not an evangelical book at all.

It's a book written about the church for the church.

I hope it helps me see something that I don't know if I can articulate.

See, I've learned here on CD that a lot of people's biggest problem with Christianity is Christians and the 'machine' that is the organized religion.

I believe...I truly hope....this book helps me peel back the layers on what we see and call 'church' to see what HE intended church to look like.

I want to see the New Testament church. How it operated. What it looked like. What the real deal looks like, if you will.

I have a feeling that when I am done I will see that I have never really been to church. (That is if I agree with the authors views.)

Old 04-14-2008, 02:46 PM

Don't think it will make you hear the music June..Thats up to you.. It will be a good learning experience and withall kidding aside, you will bring a lot of common sense and thought provoking questions and ideas into the discussions and I look forward to that..

Old 04-14-2008, 02:51 PM

Alpha, that is exactly what I hope to learn from the book and the discussion..As most of you know, I am still trying to heal old wounds with "church laws"I sincerely hope this book and the other I ordered will help me "sort it out"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity