Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 02:39 PM

16,711 posts, read 15,712,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I think it’s sweet. I was raised Lutheran and to my knowledge they don’t do blessings. We love dogs and have rescued many.
Some do. The ELCA church near my home does it. I doubt the other Lutheran Church does.

Old 10-05-2019, 03:06 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,604,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I think it’s sweet. I was raised Lutheran and to my knowledge they don’t do blessings. We love dogs and have rescued many.
Go attend at a local Episcopal Church. Google search, then find one doing it. It's very lovely and fun. Not saying you ever have to repeat, but it's a joy to attend Church with your dog. My Church invites and encourages dogs at each service and I take my little beagle Abbi every time I attend, unless she is ill. The Priest give pooches biscuits at communion time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 11:26 PM

6,803 posts, read 2,924,251 times
I'm not sure that Scamp and Honey (my cats, both of whom adopted me) would appreciate a trip to church.

However, in agreement with what others have said, they have both been a blessing to me over the years. Scamp, bless his heart, has really been through the mill over the years and was, at one time, paralyzed in his hind region (a spinal issue) and was dragging himself around by his front paws. Terrible. A friend and I immediately caged him and rushed him to the vet. I seriously thought that I had no other alternative but than to have him put down since surgery was out of the question. I actually initiated a thread on that topic on the Pets Forum a few years ago. However, after convalescing at a local cat clinic for 4 months, Scamp (now 15) came good. In fact, within two hours of bringing him home he climbed on to the roof via shade-cloth in the breezeway, something he'd loved to do regularly before he sustained the injury. I was elated as I'd firmly believed that such a thing could never happen again. Boy, was I wrong!

Scamp is still around using all fours, jumping here and there, and spends much of his day annoying me at my computer. Right now, for instance ...for crying out loud, Scamp . . .go away!

Old 10-06-2019, 05:07 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,800,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I'm not sure that Scamp and Honey (my cats, both of whom adopted me) would appreciate a trip to church.

However, in agreement with what others have said, they have both been a blessing to me over the years. Scamp, bless his heart, has really been through the mill over the years and was, at one time, paralyzed in his hind region (a spinal issue) and was dragging himself around by his front paws. Terrible. A friend and I immediately caged him and rushed him to the vet. I seriously thought that I had no other alternative but than to have him put down since surgery was out of the question. I actually initiated a thread on that topic on the Pets Forum a few years ago. However, after convalescing at a local cat clinic for 4 months, Scamp (now 15) came good. In fact, within two hours of bringing him home he climbed on to the roof via shade-cloth in the breezeway, something he'd loved to do regularly before he sustained the injury. I was elated as I'd firmly believed that such a thing could never happen again. Boy, was I wrong!

Scamp is still around using all fours, jumping here and there, and spends much of his day annoying me at my computer. Right now, for instance ...for crying out loud, Scamp . . .go away!
Awwww...that's beautiful!

Old 10-06-2019, 06:19 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,421,397 times
Is St. Francis 'big' in the Episcopal Church? I ask because a gorgeous stone Episcopal church
in my downtown had a big St. Francis statue stolen a few years ago
from the main court yard all could see driving by!!! And never found.

'Brother Sun, Sister Moon', 1972,one of my favorite movies. I bought the DVD.
There is a better Italian version of the theme song, btw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKFbB_kqpDI

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 10-06-2019 at 06:28 AM..

Old 10-06-2019, 06:32 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,421,397 times
Sorry, I had to, also, put the youtube clip of St. Francis going before the pope, Alec Guinness, for those
that don't get the whole DVD. "Brother Sun, Sister Moon: :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKFbB_kqpDI

Old 10-06-2019, 06:59 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,395,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
Same! I do volunteer animal rescue so I have a revolving door of foster pets. I've never been able to get my animal family out to one of these blessing events but I think they are a beautiful idea. I think animals bless ME more than anything.
I help at the Animal Rescue Center (ARC) and Paw Placement. Right now, I am attending to a huge Tabby male feral cat who is extremely sick and have him on an IV. He is a community cat that visits people with disabilities, very friendly and therapeutic. He will lay on a woman's lap who has PTSD and be petted for an hour while she sits on her porch, a child with severe autism plays with, and carries him around, in addition to several others. He will walk with me through the forest, along side my dog and has gotten other feral cats to follow him. Just an amazing cat that lives in the woods within the community. He was caught, neutered and released back into his environment a couple years ago. He is definitely a blessing to many who live in the area.

Old 10-06-2019, 07:09 AM

88,675 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post

That is a great story, Romulus. Thanks for sharing.

The years that I lived alone with four (then three, then two, then one...) cats coincide with the years that I've attended this little Episcopal church, but I never brought them in for St Francis Day. Only one didn't mind being stuffed into a carrier and taken in the car. She was blind. I always wondered if that had something to do with it.

Anyway, they wouldn't have been happy at church. I figure they got blessed by proxy.

Old 10-06-2019, 11:54 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,800,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I help at the Animal Rescue Center (ARC) and Paw Placement. Right now, I am attending to a huge Tabby male feral cat who is extremely sick and have him on an IV. He is a community cat that visits people with disabilities, very friendly and therapeutic. He will lay on a woman's lap who has PTSD and be petted for an hour while she sits on her porch, a child with severe autism plays with, and carries him around, in addition to several others. He will walk with me through the forest, along side my dog and has gotten other feral cats to follow him. Just an amazing cat that lives in the woods within the community. He was caught, neutered and released back into his environment a couple years ago. He is definitely a blessing to many who live in the area.
Wow! What an extraordinary cat! I hope he gets better. Thank you for helping the outdoor and feral cats--they have a tough life without kind people to look out for them. I used to do trap-neuter-return but I downshifted to becoming a foster home.

Old 10-06-2019, 12:10 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,604,946 times
I just returned from taking my Abbi, pocket beagle to Churcj. She peed in the car on the way home. That's what I get, I guess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity