Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 10:53 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,596,069 times

Advertisements

The custom of taking your animals for a blessing is celebrated tomorrow in Episcopal Churches. The custom is also practiced by Lutherans, some Methodists, and some Catholic Churches ( but ironically I have never seen it and ST Francis was Roman Catholic ). If you have a pet take them to a service 10/6 whether your a believer or not. If you don't have a pet attend a service to witness how wonderful it is when animals are recognized as blessed creatures as they are meant to be our treasured companions and not merely food or tools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 11:06 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
I was raised Catholic and named after St. Francis of Assisi. In those days (50s) the saint you were named after was called one's Patron Saint.

Although no longer a Christian, my life has always been surrounded by animals and I commune with them daily. They have added immeasurably to my life and understanding.

Old 10-05-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I was raised Catholic and named after St. Francis of Assisi. In those days (50s) the saint you were named after was called one's Patron Saint.

Although no longer a Christian, my life has always been surrounded by animals and I commune with them daily. They have added immeasurably to my life and understanding.
If you have a pet bring them for a blessing. It's a nice experience

Old 10-05-2019, 11:13 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
If you have a pet bring them for a blessing. It's a nice experience
Not practical for me. I live in the boonies. Although last year, if I recall correctly, a Franciscan monk came to the nearest town and blessed some animals.

I bless dozens of them daily with free food and water.

Old 10-05-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Not practical for me. I live in the boonies. Although last year, if I recall correctly, a Franciscan monk came to the nearest town and blessed some animals.

That's the ultimate blessing.

Old 10-05-2019, 11:48 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,795,373 times
Quote:

Same! I do volunteer animal rescue so I have a revolving door of foster pets. I've never been able to get my animal family out to one of these blessing events but I think they are a beautiful idea. I think animals bless ME more than anything.

Old 10-05-2019, 01:41 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
As I said on another thread, I am a fan of Francis of Assisi. He talked to birds, and so do I.

There is a good book on Franciscan spirituality called Care for Creation about connecting ourselves with God by connecting with all of creation. We are all part of it, together.

His biographer, whose name escapes me, called him a "second Christ".

Old 10-05-2019, 01:47 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Bxlover, kmom, Trout, couldn't rep ANY of you, but smooches to all for getting it.

"It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching."

~ Francis of Assisi

Old 10-05-2019, 02:08 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,795,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Bxlover, kmom, Trout, couldn't rep ANY of you, but smooches to all for getting it.

"It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching."

~ Francis of Assisi

Loving all of creation!

Old 10-05-2019, 02:37 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
I think it’s sweet. I was raised Lutheran and to my knowledge they don’t do blessings. We love dogs and have rescued many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity