Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 01:16 PM

11,939 posts, read 3,757,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
If we are emulating Christ, he talked about the devil a lot. So how to interpret that?

I do agree with your last sentence.
He called peter “Satan” Satan has the meaning of adversary and I believe it relates to the state of mind which is thinking of itself and not the things of God,

Mat 16:22 And having taken Him near, Peter began to rebuke Him, saying, God be gracious to You, Lord; this shall never be to You.
Mat 16:23 But turning He said to Peter, Go behind Me, Satan! You are an offense to Me, for you do not think of the things of God, but the things of men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2019, 01:19 PM

11,939 posts, read 3,757,899 times
Quote:
Well-put, Thoreau. We are not to be dwelling on evil, and any attention we give the dark side is feeding into it. I didn't think of this aspect when I posted.

Just curious what other Bible-believers thought. Since Jesus did mention "him" a lot.
I don’t think it’s a “him” it is what humans create by thinking of ourselves only and not what is godly, right and just

Old 10-12-2019, 02:37 PM

63,994 posts, read 40,286,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
He called peter “Satan” Satan has the meaning of adversary and I believe it relates to the state of mind which is thinking of itself and not the things of God,

Mat 16:22 And having taken Him near, Peter began to rebuke Him, saying, God be gracious to You, Lord; this shall never be to You.
Mat 16:23 But turning He said to Peter, Go behind Me, Satan! You are an offense to Me, for you do not think of the things of God, but the things of men.
Amen.

Quote:
I don’t think it’s a “him” it is what humans create by thinking of ourselves only and not what is godly, right and just
Amen and Amen.

Old 10-13-2019, 02:24 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,067,016 times
Quote:

Yes, He was so stupid, He was speaking to a state of mind, not a personage. You don't understand His principles behind the naming of people, places and things, so you do err.....making Him a liar, to boot.

Old 10-13-2019, 04:01 PM

10,093 posts, read 5,009,350 times
Quote:
Why do you feel it is so difficult for Western moderns to believe in a devil and demons, when the Bible is SO clear about their presence and influence?
I'm mainly talking about nominal Christians or people like my DH who was raised Catholic but just can't bring himself to believe in a "devil" or demons.
Too many "horror" stories in the entertainment industry?
If people can believe in a God of "good", why not a devil of evil? Certainly explains why our world is so flawed and evil is prevalent everywhere.
Yet part of "Twisted Scripture" is that even some Christians believe God is responsible for sickness, disasters and so forth.
In other parts of the world, people have NO trouble believing in "evil spirits". My missionary relatives say exorcisms still go in those areas.
Probably the devil is just fine with us moderns not believing in him, as it makes it easier for him to go about doing destruction undetected AND us blaming it on God himself, in certain cases.
Food for thought (the above)
I suppose if we examine our associates the bad begins with bad friends / associates.
Even people trying to live a 'double life' try to ignore the bad to just go away.
Peer pressure to do wrong ( moral decay)
Moral meaning more than just having mental capacity.
So, the 'satanic actions' of people in our day or time frame should be a clue that Satan is real:
* We should be shocked by the violence around us.
* Domestic violence includes women around the world.
* Terrorism now is even here instead of just over there.
* Mass shooting going from bad to worse.
* School immorality also bad to worse.
* Famous people with immoral life styles are accepted.
* Immorality in one's own neighborhood.
So, in order for a person to do his ' own thing ' as above one must reject belief in Satan.
How sad because even the demons believe in God and Jesus and they shudder - James 2:19; Luke 4:41.
Thus, repentance is for everybody - 2nd Peter 3:9 - to be quick to make changes Now, not wait til next year.
Repent and stop associating with bad associates.- Revelation 12:12,9
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity