Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 05:30 AM

57 posts, read 47,966 times

Advertisements

I didn't know they still exist.

https://sojo.net/articles/what-drive...dling-churches
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 07:19 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,418,445 times
It would seem to me snake handling is there to increase faith. No?
Wouldn't it be cool if they healed people in their church - that increases faith, big time!!!

Old 10-23-2019, 07:54 AM

33,314 posts, read 26,512,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonHippy View Post
Yes, sadly, they still exist. And the practice is stupid. It's based on Mark 16:17-18 which isn't even original to the Gospel of Mark. People die doing this. Mark 16:9-20 isn't authentic. It's a later addition (there are different versions of the ending) added by scribes who didn't think that Mark 16 should have ended as it did and wanted to give the Gospel a better ending.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:09 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,610,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Yes, sadly, they still exist. And the practice is stupid. It's based on Mark 16:17-18 which isn't even original to the Gospel of Mark. People die doing this. Mark 16:9-20 isn't authentic. It's a later addition (there are different versions of the ending) added by scribes who didn't think that Mark 16 should have ended as it did and wanted to give the Gospel a better ending.
You don’t ever wonder why jesusgod doesn’t correct the bible errors?

Old 10-23-2019, 08:19 AM

23,203 posts, read 10,489,610 times
People handle serpents right now, they just don't know it, and that is quite a funny thing given that they are sons of a serpent. When Jesus told his desciples that their father was Satan, it is because they are sons of their father. Everyone has a serpent within them, it's why John called people a brood of vipers, it isn't exclusive to anyone, everyone has a viper, vipers come and go to and fro.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:27 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,054,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
People handle serpents right now, they just don't know it, and that is quite a funny thing given that they are sons of a serpent. When Jesus told his desciples that their father was Satan, it is because they are sons of their father. Everyone has a serpent within them, it's why John called people a brood of vipers, it isn't exclusive to anyone, everyone has a viper, vipers come and go to and fro.

Very true. Which is why I'd have to wonder if it really was an addition to scripture as one poster (forgot who already) added. I've been picking them up for decades, just not the ones who slither on the ground (although I did see one make a person slither on the ground once).

Those that do the real thing are, of course, misinterpreting the scripture, not knowing any better and not reconciling all the other scriptures or they'd realize they were in error. Ones like not tempting G-d, for example. Sad, really.....Blessings....

Last edited by Rbbi1; 10-23-2019 at 08:36 AM..

Old 10-23-2019, 08:49 AM

33,314 posts, read 26,512,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Very true. Which is why I'd have to wonder if it really was an addition to scripture as one poster (forgot who already) added. I've been picking them up for decades, just not the ones who slither on the ground (although I did see one make a person slither on the ground once).

Those that do the real thing are, of course, misinterpreting the scripture, not knowing any better and not reconciling all the other scriptures or they'd realize they were in error. Ones like not tempting G-d, for example. Sad, really.....Blessings....
I said it.
Textual critics have identified two distinct alternative endings: the "Longer Ending" (vv. 9-20) and the unversed "Shorter Ending" or "lost ending",[¹] which appear together in six Greek manuscripts, and in dozens of Ethiopic copies. Modern versions of the New Testament generally include the Longer Ending, but place it in brackets or otherwise format it to show that it is not considered part of the original text.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_16
Since there are alternate endings to Mark, they can't both be authentic and are obviously later additions.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:50 AM

23,203 posts, read 10,489,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post

It wasn't a mistake just like a viper trying to put his venon in a man, he tosses it to the fire, another one comes.

Old 10-23-2019, 11:23 AM

3,837 posts, read 1,391,239 times
I pick them up all the time, take them out of the chicken nest boxes and relocate far away; dang things always eating up my eggs! Some of my kiddos do too! And we do consider our home our 'first church'. Does that make us count?
I once 'wrestled' a bull too (full-grown longhorn with 6ft horns) - that didn't work out so well (in hospital 2 months) but hey- I'm still alive!

Old 10-23-2019, 11:34 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,331,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
And in loving it for what it is you tame it. Fight it you lose every time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity