Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2020, 08:49 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
What is your biggest motivator or reason that you decided to follow the Christian faith and beliefs? In other words, what was the first thing that prompted you in the beginning of your journey? I am searching for basic answers or that which is substantial from your own perspectives...
The original reasons - from many decades ago - are less relevant than what keeps it together and going. The relationship is a good partnership, has made and continues to make a positive difference, and I've seen countless examples that prove (to me at least) that he's there and he exists.

There are no rules and restrictions that need to be laid out to "be a Christian" though; nothing we'd say people should feel or do. That's rather churchy and religious. I know it's extremely common to do, but it's an unhealthy controlling side effect of the religious grip.

In regard to the title of this thread, we don't "need" anything else to be with Christ. We have no reason to be needy when it comes to spirituality. With him, there's nothing missing. If you're a Christian - or a partner who doesn't feel the need to use that label - there should be nothing lacking, and no other need. I use the word 'partner' instead of follower or disciple, as I'm not trailing behind him, but together as friends / partners, working together.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 06-23-2020 at 09:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 09:19 PM

2,962 posts, read 863,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
You just need to turn certain cognitive portions of your brain off.
For certain personality types, being a gadfly is all they are capable of. Seeing wrongness in others is an easy game.

Finding real truth - not so much.

Old 06-23-2020, 10:19 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
For certain personality types, being a gadfly is all they are capable of. Seeing wrongness in others is an easy game.

Finding real truth - not so much.
Keep following me, grasshopper. And take copious notes. You may learn something.

Though I doubt it.

Old 06-24-2020, 06:41 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
God made me a Christian by my baptism when I was 2 weeks old. I still believe and want to go to heaven. He is the only true God. Everything I am and have comes from him. Why would I stop worshipping God?

Old 06-24-2020, 07:33 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
I became a Christian to be redeemed and put into a right relationship with God.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:20 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
God made me a Christian by my baptism when I was 2 weeks old. I still believe and want to go to heaven. He is the only true God. Everything I am and have comes from him. Why would I stop worshiping God?
So, you were a believer at two weeks out of the womb?

Old 06-24-2020, 10:20 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Have any Christians ever told one of their innocent children that they are getting spanked for the one who did the wrong thing. And every time when one does something wrong the other will be punished? If so, there is something morally and ethically wrong with your compass. You cannot punish the innocent for the guilty. One should be taught to be responsible for their own thoughts, deeds, and actions.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:17 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
Jerwade: the Bible teaches that salvation is a gift of God for all. Offer of forgiveness through faith is given to all who believe. At Pentecost, Peter says that this salvation is for all, through baptism, for all and for your children, for all who the Lord your God will call. So for 2000 years parents have brought their children to baptism so that they too could be saved.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:48 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,405,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
God 'brainwashes' nobody into The Truth, Amal.
Never forced, you have to choose it willingly.
It's not Love unless it comes FROM your own heart!
You and Thrill just don't seem to get that.
Would you say the same thing about JW's?

Old 06-24-2020, 11:56 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,405,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
We are sitting on a big blue marble suspended in space......no other answer but a supernatural super power makes sense......and He gave us a book explaining it all........
What if there are billions of other blue marbles in the universe teeming with life? Doesn't make us so special anymore now does it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity