Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 02:32 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
No. We’re telling them Christ died for their sins to bring them to a relationship with God.

...snip...
And to some people, the above is just silly.

And how does one embrace silliness as a belief system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 02:35 PM

26 posts, read 8,748 times
I was looking for "something" to fill the empty place inside. Someone who loved me no matter what. I read the Bible cover to cover several times.... and felt it to be true in my heart. I can't be anything else.

Old 01-24-2020, 03:39 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,137,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
What is your biggest motivator or reason that you decided to follow the Christian faith and beliefs?
In other words, what was the first thing that prompted you in the beginning of your journey?

I am searching for basic answers or that which is substantial from your own perspectives, not looking to criticize or object to your experience, nor am I looking for particular doctrines, after you became a Christian. An example: I met someone overseas while in the military, he didn't make it back. We had various discussions, and I ended up with his 1611 King James, as he did not have a family member to whom he wanted it sent.

Growing up, I wold say Fire Insurance from Hell lol, since it was always pushed if you die and dint accept Jesus you would burn for all eternity and after that was the constant imminent return of Christ and the rapture and not being left behind to face the tribulation.

Old 01-24-2020, 03:40 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I understand that, but to an unbeliever, that's not going to fly. We have to show what Jesus did through us, through our actions. We are to be the salt and light.
I do not disagree, but sometimes we need to explain what Jesus’ death means.

Old 01-24-2020, 03:55 PM

2,962 posts, read 863,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
What is your biggest motivator or reason that you decided to follow the Christian faith and beliefs?
In other words, what was the first thing that prompted you in the beginning of your journey?

I am searching for basic answers or that which is substantial from your own perspectives, not looking to criticize or object to your experience, nor am I looking for particular doctrines, after you became a Christian. An example: I met someone overseas while in the military, he didn't make it back. We had various discussions, and I ended up with his 1611 King James, as he did not have a family member to whom he wanted it sent.
I was raised in a Christian home, but not the greatest example of one. I abandoned my faith in my late teens and was agnostic for over 3 decades. I was prompted to take another look into the question of God due to an atheist friend of mine who brought up the topic of religion every time we'd speak. I had been content to avoid the topic but my friend was making that impossible.

I was sent links to podcasts by people like Sam Harris, links to 'atheist vs theist' debate videos, and encouraged to participate on religion discussion forums (as an agnostic). Through my exposure to these things I developed a sincere desire to "once and for all" know the truth about whether God exists or not. I made a conscious decision to be open minded about it and follow the truth wherever it lead me. I simply wanted the clearest view of reality that I could have.

I was quite surprised to find much more robust evidence for God and Christianity, in particular, than I thought there'd be. I was also surprised to find that the case being made for atheism was not as strong as I assumed it would be.

At some point I took a leap of faith and took God up on his promise that one who is sincere in their search for God will find him. After becoming saved my faith grew as I experienced an internal transformation that began soon after. Certain struggles and vices that I had been a slave to for as long as I can remember began to fall away, some without me even trying. I realized I was given a new heart.

What about you, Jerwade? What's your story? What experiences have brought you to where you are today, in terms of your conclusions about God?

Old 01-24-2020, 04:10 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,692,177 times
Quote:
I do not disagree, but sometimes we need to explain what Jesus’ death means.
But how does the death of a physical man save anyone from eternal punishment?

If there is justice The punishment should (must) fit the crime

Being born a mortal human being is not a crime, and I do not see how we can be punished for that

The scriptures are filled with signs which relate to the times, days, seasons, years which these people have misunderstood,

Jer 8:8 How do you say, We are wise, and the Law of Jehovah is with us? Behold, the lying pen of the scribes has certainly worked deceit.
Jer 8:9 The wise are ashamed; they are terrified and are captured. Behold, they have rejected the Word of Jehovah, and what wisdom is theirs?
Jer 8:10 So I will give their wives to others, their fields to those who shall inherit. For everyone from the least even to the greatest cuts off a profit. From the prophet even to the priest, everyone deals falsely.
Jer 8:11 For they have healed the hurt of the daughter of My people slightly, saying, Peace, peace! And there is no peace.

Old 01-24-2020, 04:17 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,796,164 times
Pretty much two reasons: Jesus and the friendliness of the church. Jesus' life, death, and resurrection is something that I've always been drawn to, even while exploring Eastern religions. And I've been fortunate to find a warm and welcoming church where everyone greets each other with smiles and hugs, even if they barely know you. It's really beautiful. "By this all will know you are my disciples, by your love for one another" always comes to mind.

Old 01-24-2020, 04:34 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
But how does the death of a physical man save anyone from eternal punishment?

If there is justice The punishment should (must) fit the crime

Being born a mortal human being is not a crime, and I do not see how we can be punished for that

The scriptures are filled with signs which relate to the times, days, seasons, years which these people have misunderstood,

Jer 8:8 How do you say, We are wise, and the Law of Jehovah is with us? Behold, the lying pen of the scribes has certainly worked deceit.
Jer 8:9 The wise are ashamed; they are terrified and are captured. Behold, they have rejected the Word of Jehovah, and what wisdom is theirs?
Jer 8:10 So I will give their wives to others, their fields to those who shall inherit. For everyone from the least even to the greatest cuts off a profit. From the prophet even to the priest, everyone deals falsely.
Jer 8:11 For they have healed the hurt of the daughter of My people slightly, saying, Peace, peace! And there is no peace.
The physical death of God in flesh, however, has great meaning.

Old 01-24-2020, 05:13 PM

2,962 posts, read 863,494 times
The Bible Project? What is it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFwNZNyDu9k

Old 01-24-2020, 05:43 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,692,177 times
Quote:
The physical death of God in flesh, however, has great meaning.
There is meaning there I agree

But for me when the signs, mysteries about divine, spiritual things are mixed with physical, mortal things i find it is better to back away and focus on the simplicity of loving God and neighbour as self

To me it seems that we are at the stage/time/season when ‘the many’ are coming in Christ’s name and are leading that same ‘many’ astray (as was foretold from the beginning)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity