Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2020, 03:10 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me

There is truth to this. I'm not judging any one else's belief system but I did and do make it a point to practice and share with my children what is written in 1 Peter 2:17, "Honor men of all sorts, have love for the whole association of brothers,be in fear of God, honor the king."

This means we can disagree on a whole host of issues, religion, politics, lifestyles, etc but without disrespecting the other. Certainly not oppressing other communities.

Men have tried to change the Bible to suit their thinking, that is true. However the errors are corrected in one way or another. One that comes to mind is the verse found at 1 John 5:7,8 with most Bibles having the corrected translation. The OT (Hebrew Scriptures), for example, If we compare the Dead Sea Scrolls to the modern day translations they are remarkably similar despite the passage of time. There are over 5000 ancient manuscripts of the New Testament (Greek Christian Scriptures) which show overall a faithful reproduction of the current translation of the NT. We also want to consider that men like to discredit the Bible in the name of scholarship however, they are still men and we shouldn't take anything that others say at face value.
It’s not the number of variants or errors that is important, it’s the nature of the variants.
If you alter one word or its definition and meaning, you change the context dramatically.

Last edited by Jerwade; 05-27-2020 at 03:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 03:13 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
But you wanted to do what you want, right? And you despised people telling you it was wrong?
Uh, what? I mainly just wanted to be a good wife and mom and no one was telling me that was wrong. Are you? I might despise you if you did, sure.

Old 05-27-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
The "they never did believe" line just reveals the arrogant and ignorance of those who can't and will not allow people to reason and question ideas and find them wanting or have answers for their own religious tribe on why these people left. In adopting such a response they absolve themselves of any real and meaningful examination of this phenomenon.

'John' was of course one of these fools since he wrote this (or whoever wrote it) late in the game when people's expectation of the return of Christ and promises of the early church were showing themselves lacking. The reasonable and smart ones saw that the gig was up and rejected it. The only response from John was simply - aw they never believed otherwise they would have stayed. That's the depths of understanding of religious tribalism and their ilk.

How does one never believe something when they devote their entire self and life to those ideas for years and then change their mind about what they were devoting themselves to? The only response is not to examine the actual reason but to ignore them and double down on your own beliefs without one shred of examination of any possible way that you yourself might be wrong.

This is 'the way the truth and the life' of religious tribalism - they lack any reason, intelligence, or questioning of their ego driven safety net and marginalize those that did so to a place in their minds where no examination is allowed.

Maybe this is why people are leaving your folds in droves.
Here's the thing. Christianity did play a role in me wanting to devote myself to the God who is love. But then Christianity and the bible were also the biggest hindrance to that. I know some Christians need to believe I never was one of them, and that used to be hurtful to me. Now, I agree with you, the only reason it really matters to me that they want to disown those of us who have left their version of Christianity as never having been "real Christians" is because it's a way for them never to examine the real reasons behind many people leaving.

Old 05-27-2020, 03:55 PM

10 posts, read 3,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Men have tried to change the Bible to suit their thinking, that is true. However the errors are corrected in one way or another. One that comes to mind is the verse found at 1 John 5:7,8 with most Bibles having the corrected translation. The OT (Hebrew Scriptures), for example, If we compare the Dead Sea Scrolls to the modern day translations they are remarkably similar despite the passage of time. There are over 5000 ancient manuscripts of the New Testament (Greek Christian Scriptures) which show overall a faithful reproduction of the current translation of the NT. We also want to consider that men like to discredit the Bible in the name of scholarship however, they are still men and we shouldn't take anything that others say at face value.
I'm not questioning the translations that were performed on the holy scriptures over the years but more the interpretations that were made out of them. Regardless of them being scholars or representatives of God on earth, the way those books are carried are interpretations of men and men only. And men can interpret as they please, to suit the values that they see more fit. It's completely impossible, regardless of who you are, priest of scholar, to be absolutely certain that your interpretation is the right one.

Last edited by mensaguy; 05-28-2020 at 05:40 AM.. Reason: Removed extra quote tag embedded in the quoted post.

Old 05-27-2020, 04:02 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Here's the thing. Christianity did play a role in me wanting to devote myself to the God who is love. But then Christianity and the bible were also the biggest hindrance to that. I know some Christians need to believe I never was one of them, and that used to be hurtful to me. Now, I agree with you, the only reason it really matters to me that they want to disown those of us who have left their version of Christianity as never having been "real Christians" is because it's a way for them never to examine the real reasons behind many people leaving.

Old 05-27-2020, 04:02 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
Uh, what? I mainly just wanted to be a good wife and mom and no one was telling me that was wrong. Are you? I might despise you if you did, sure.
Perhaps "despise" is too strong a word. Did you appreciate others telling you something is wrong?

Old 05-27-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
But you wanted to do what you want, right? And you despised people telling you it was wrong?
Quote:
Quote:
Perhaps "despise" is too strong a word. Did you appreciate others telling you something is wrong?
As I said, no one was telling me that the things I wanted to do were wrong.

Old 05-27-2020, 05:08 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times
Quote:
No way if they have either a plank or speck or dust in their eye, because their judgement will not be righteous but fault finding.

You cannot correct sin (error) with judgement, you correct it with righteousness. I dare you to say this is not in your bible.

Old 05-27-2020, 05:13 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,875,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Sounds like the Parable of the Seeds.
Yes. The different types of soil can represent the same person at different stages in their life.

Old 05-27-2020, 05:18 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,875,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
It actually means they are no longer blinded by bible beliefs.
You are always trying to criticize what is pure gold to people of faith. People who have been exactly where you are right now. The treasure is something that you have never seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity