Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 07:13 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,007,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
According to Jesus it is the light of life.

But what is the light of life?

Reference;

“I am the light of the world. No one who follows me shall ever walk in darkness because he will possess the light of life.”

“It is the spirit that gives life, the flesh is useless, the words I spoke to you are spirit and life.”

So by Jesus own words it is the word of God that keeps the believer from darkness.

”Walk in the light while you have it or darkness will come over you.”

Looks as though God’s word is more important to the believer than anything!

How do you read it?
Hi Free times 3, you are the man today, great topics sir. Most everyone knows it was Jesus shed blood that delivers people from everlasting death. What many do not realize however, that more is required. Jesus once pointed out to a few who had done remarkable things in his name but did not receive salvation. Why? Jesus pointed out they were workers of lawlessness as they didn't do the will of God. Instead of serving God the way He desired, they served Him in a way that they chose. No doubt you see this very often with people. Yes sir, God's word is the most important thing to His people (believers). But for salvation, obedience to it is the key. Only by reading it, meditating on it, and applying it in our lives can we escape this world's judgment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2020, 12:26 PM

3,220 posts, read 925,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
Yes sir, God's word is the most important thing to His people (believers). But for salvation, obedience to it is the key. Only by reading it, meditating on it, and applying it in our lives can we escape this world's judgment.
You say only by reading it meditating on it and applying it but Jesus said different.

“The man who comes to me hears my word and uses it.”

“Walk in the light while you have it or darkness will come over you.”

“While you have the light believe in the light and you will become a child of light.”

”If you continue in my word you are truly my disciple then you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.”

Old 07-04-2020, 04:43 PM

1,161 posts, read 466,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
I think Jesus is the divine embodiment of loving your neighbor and serving others. So if you follow Jesus you are merely loving and serving others. You don't have to be a Christian to do this and therefore anyone can possess the light of life.
This is a typical New Age word game. "Following Jesus" means nothing but "loving your neighbor and serving others." You "don't have to be a Christian to do this."

Jesus didn't incarnate, suffer, die and resurrect to deliver fortune-cookie messages. If "following Jesus" meant what you understand it to mean, he could've delivered that message better by living 100 years and providing even more examples than he did.

Following Jesus means, first and foremost, recognizing who he was and why he incarnated, suffered, died and resurrected.

Loving your neighbor and serving others is what Christians DO. It isn't BEING a Christian.

This New Age message stands Christianity on its head and robs it of its saving power, which is why I believe it is fundamentally evil.

Last edited by Irkle Berserkle; 07-04-2020 at 05:00 PM..

Old 07-04-2020, 04:57 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkle Berserkle View Post
This is a typical New Age word game. "Following Jesus" means nothing but "loving your neighbor and serving others." You "don't have to be a Christian to do this."

Jesus didn't incarnate, suffer, die and resurrect to deliver fortune-cookie messages. If "following Jesus" meant what you understand it to mean, he could've delivered that message better by living 100 years and providing even more examples than he did.

Following Jesus means, first and foremost, recognizing who he was and why he incarnated, suffered, died and resurrected.

Loving your neighbor and serving others is what Christians DO. It isn't BEING a Christian.

This New Age message stands Christianity on its head and robs it of its saving power, which I believe it is fundamentally evil.
I believe you are fundamentally wrong.

QB is 19 years old and she is more representative of Jesus than you will ever be.

She is on her way to becoming a spiritual sage.

You are destined to remain a spiritual toddler.

Old 07-04-2020, 05:10 PM

1,161 posts, read 466,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I believe you are fundamentally wrong.

QB is 19 years old and she is more representative of Jesus than you will ever be.

She is on her way to becoming a spiritual sage.

You are destined to remain a spiritual toddler.
The question is not one of being "representative of Jesus," although how you make such a sweeping judgment on the basis of anonymous internet posts is a bit of a mystery to me.

The question is one of Truth.

Certainly, many New Agers, Buddhists and even atheists may be far more kindly, charitable and loving than I. This isn't the criterion for being a Christian - i.e., for being saved, at least according to Christian theology.

Salvation begins with who Jesus was and what his mission was. What is critical is our response to this. This is what determines who is and isn't saved.

Without this, one simply CANNOT BE a "representative of Jesus," regardless of how wonderful he or she may seem to others.

Old 07-04-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
The question is not one of being "representative of Jesus," although how you make such a sweeping judgment on the basis of anonymous internet posts is a bit of a mystery to me.

Certainly, many New Agers, Buddhists and even atheists may be far more kindly, charitable and loving than I. This isn't the criterion for being a Christian - i.e., for being saved, at least according to Christian theology.

Salvation begins with who Jesus was and what his mission was. What is critical is our response to this. This is what determines who is and isn't saved.

Without this, one simply CANNOT BE a "representative of Jesus," regardless of how wonderful he or she may seem to others.
Nonsense. From a now-familiar source of same.

Old 07-04-2020, 05:57 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Quote:

QB is correct that the disciples of Jesus serve and are not here to be served

They are to show the fruit of the Spirit and not just blindly perform the Duties associated with “Law” and “Circumcision”

Mat 20:28 Even as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.

Mat 1:20 And as he was thinking about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord was seen by him in a dream, saying, Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife. For that in her is generated by the Holy Spirit.
Mat 1:21 And she will bear a son, and you shall call His name Jesus, for He shall save His people from their sins.

Gal 5:18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under Law.
Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are clearly revealed, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lustfulness,
Gal 5:20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, fightings, jealousies, angers, rivalries, divisions, heresies,
Gal 5:21 envyings, murders, drunkenness, revelings, and things like these; of which I tell you beforehand, as I also said before, that the ones practicing such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is: love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 meekness, self-control. Against such things there is not a law.
Gal 5:24 But the ones belonging to Christ crucified the flesh with its passions and lusts.

Gal 5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
Gal 5:26 Let us not become vainglorious, provoking one another, envying one another.

You are so caught up with trying to defend doctrines that you miss the purpose of Jesus which is to serve and produce the fruits

Old 07-04-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
I think Jesus is the divine embodiment of loving your neighbor and serving others. So if you follow Jesus you are merely loving and serving others. You don't have to be a Christian to do this and therefore anyone can possess the light of life.
This shows your misunderstanding of life according to Jesus who said;

“It is the spirit that gives life the flesh is useless, the words I spoke to you are spirit and life.”

Old 07-04-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
QB is correct that the disciples of Jesus serve and are not here to be served

They are to show the fruit of the Spirit and not just blindly perform the Duties associated with “Law” and “Circumcision”

Mat 20:28 Even as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.

Mat 1:20 And as he was thinking about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord was seen by him in a dream, saying, Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife. For that in her is generated by the Holy Spirit.
Mat 1:21 And she will bear a son, and you shall call His name Jesus, for He shall save His people from their sins.

Gal 5:18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under Law.
Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are clearly revealed, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lustfulness,
Gal 5:20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, fightings, jealousies, angers, rivalries, divisions, heresies,
Gal 5:21 envyings, murders, drunkenness, revelings, and things like these; of which I tell you beforehand, as I also said before, that the ones practicing such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is: love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 meekness, self-control. Against such things there is not a law.
Gal 5:24 But the ones belonging to Christ crucified the flesh with its passions and lusts.

Gal 5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
Gal 5:26 Let us not become vainglorious, provoking one another, envying one another.

You are so caught up with trying to defend doctrines that you miss the purpose of Jesus which is to serve and produce the fruits
The son of mans life is the key here. It is not as man thinks.

“Just as the Father has life so too do I because of Him. Anyone who feeds on me will have life because of me.”

Last edited by Free4you; 07-04-2020 at 07:14 PM..

Old 07-04-2020, 07:01 PM

Geez, some of you people read the words of anonymous, barbaric men and think it's like, gospel or something.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity