Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 05:15 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times

Advertisements

"But How Can the Bible Be Inspired If..."

Scholar Peter Enns addresses this issue in answer to questions that were submitted to him in this 16 minute video. Take from it what you can.

At 7:41 Enns says,
''Whatever God-breathed means it clearly doesn't mean like the Bibles a perfect book in terms of historical accuracy, or that all the writers were on the same page, that is patently not true. So whatever God-breathed means it has to have more flexibility.''

Enn's talks about the destruction of the Canaanites which didn't happen, and talks a little about God and slavery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV9uFZA9EYY
This is another 'the Bible has to be understood within its ancient Near East context thread.' God let his children tell the story from their own cultural point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2021, 07:06 PM

4,483 posts, read 1,323,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post

Scholar Peter Enns addresses this issue in answer to questions that were submitted to him in this 16 minute video. Take from it what you can.

''Whatever God-breathed means it clearly doesn't mean like the Bibles a perfect book in terms of historical accuracy, or that all the writers were on the same page, that is patently not true. So whatever God-breathed means it has to have more flexibility.''

Enn's talks about the destruction of the Canaanites which didn't happen, and talks a little about God and slavery.

This is another 'the Bible has to be understood within its ancient Near East context thread.' God let his children tell the story from their own cultural point of view.
What can I say Mike? This guy is speaking in general terms and has no specifics of scripture at all!

Did you catch that where he said the Canaanite destruction is weak because it has no archeology support.

It's a fact that can't never could and this guy doesn't want to!

If those three questions has been given to me, do you think I would sit there and give my opinion? I would take those questions into the scripture and let the scripture answer them.

I seriously doubt, Mike, he could even do that! This is the same guy you posted in another video, I suggest you find someone with less opinion and more expository minded.

Old 07-10-2021, 07:34 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,178,341 times
Quote:

Over several years i had dreams and synchronicity episodes that basically explained me what is going on.
First thing, on main level Bible (OT and NT) is guide how to improve human consciousness, it is not historical record but Gnostic type stories (myth + some truth) to picture moral point that were made.

Old 07-10-2021, 10:06 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,846,500 times
Quote:

Seems to me that this guy is coming from the perspective of unbelief.

Therefore he isn't anyone that I would want to spend the time listening to.

Pro 19:27, Cease, my son, to hear the instruction that causeth to err from the words of knowledge.

Old 07-10-2021, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
What can I say Mike? This guy is speaking in general terms and has no specifics of scripture at all!

Did you catch that where he said the Canaanite destruction is weak because it has no archeology support.
Archaeology DOESN'T support the conquest model of Canaan. This is well known among archaeologists.

Here. Listen to this lecture on the subject that was given at Texas A & M University.

OT Controversy 6: Did the Israelite Conquest of Canaan Really Happen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKajqONzd4o

Quote:
It's a fact that can't never could and this guy doesn't want to!
That sentence doesn't even make any sense.
Quote:
If those three questions has been given to me, do you think I would sit there and give my opinion? I would take those questions into the scripture and let the scripture answer them.

I seriously doubt, Mike, he could even do that! This is the same guy you posted in another video, I suggest you find someone with less opinion and more expository minded.
You have a habit of making snap judgments about scholars you disagree with and have no knowledge of the subject matter being presented by those scholars. It wasn't Enns'purpose to go into specifics about the matter of Canaan. As he said, there really is no controversy among scholars. Enns' does go into more detail about Canaan in his book The Bible Tells Me So.

Enns' topic in the video was that biblical inspiration has to take into account the ancient cultural context of the Bible.

Old 07-10-2021, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
Seems to me that this guy is coming from the perspective of unbelief.

Therefore he isn't anyone that I would want to spend the time listening to.

Pro 19:27, Cease, my son, to hear the instruction that causeth to err from the words of knowledge.
He's a Christian and a Trinitarian.

That you wouldn't listen to him shows that you prefer to remain in your own little shell where you feel safe and don't have to face reality.

Old 07-11-2021, 06:39 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,008,273 times
Quote:

It is the interpretations that are confusing. The Bible truly does not contradict itself, so if it does, obviously there is something we have wrong.

Old 07-11-2021, 06:48 AM

3,573 posts, read 1,178,341 times
if anyone think that it's possible to find a piece of land where Abram talked to God or Jesus spoke to Satan...it's called dreamland of trance.

Old 07-11-2021, 01:28 PM

4,483 posts, read 1,323,729 times
Quote:
Archaeology DOESN'T support the conquest model of Canaan. This is well known among archaeologists.

Here. Listen to this lecture on the subject that was given at Texas A & M University.

OT Controversy 6: Did the Israelite Conquest of Canaan Really Happen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKajqONzd4o

That sentence doesn't even make any sense.

You have a habit of making snap judgments about scholars you disagree with and have no knowledge of the subject matter being presented by those scholars. It wasn't Enns'purpose to go into specifics about the matter of Canaan. As he said, there really is no controversy among scholars. Enns' does go into more detail about Canaan in his book The Bible Tells Me So.

Enns' topic in the video was that biblical inspiration has to take into account the ancient cultural context of the Bible.
I'm not listening to any more of this junk, borderline Christianity!

The archeologists just haven't caught up to the works of God!

They're not as smart as they think!

Old 07-11-2021, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
I'm not listening to any more of this junk, borderline Christianity!

The archeologists just haven't caught up to the works of God!

They're not as smart as they think!
Archaeologists deal with physical evidence. And while that physical evidence is subject to interpretation, the conclusions point to there not being a large scale destruction of the Canaanites. And that's not to mention that the Bible itself states that the Canaanites were still around after supposedly being wiped out. That's not really a contradiction. It's just that like the other ancient Near East peoples, the Biblical writers used exaggerated, hyperbolic language in describing their victories over their enemies.

Your attitude of closing your ears to anything which challenges your beliefs is very closed minded. I prefer to see the Bible for what it is rather than to cling to false beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity