Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2021, 12:58 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
You do not originally hear about Jesus' demonstration of God's agape love, except in the pages of holy scripture.

But you presume it upon yourself that you are an adequate judge of what verses in holy scripture are in conjunction with God's agape love.

And yet there are certain verses, that are not against that standard, that you also reject; because those verses actually substantiate the idea that the whole of the Bible is inspired of God and is therefore in conjunction with God's idea of agape love; even if in your own carnal understanding you cannot understand how justice and judgment can be in accordance with that.

Scripture is clear:

Pro 28:5, Evil men understand not judgment: but they that seek the LORD understand all things.
Judgment is not the problem since it implies that there will be consequences for our lack of righteousness. Our ancestors' primitive belief that those consequences are IMPOSED by God out of wrath is what is NOT compatible with agape love.

Your attempt to make it compatible by applying our human concept of justice and punishment does NOT make it compatible and never will. Our human concept of justice and punishment is what is irreconcilable with God's agape love, NOT some non-existent wrathful attribute of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2021, 01:04 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,846,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Judgment is not the problem since it implies that there will be consequences for our lack of righteousness. Our ancestors' primitive belief that those consequences are IMPOSED by God out of wrath is what is NOT compatible with agape love.

Your attempt to make it compatible by applying our human concept of justice and punishment does NOT make it compatible and never will. Our human concept of justice and punishment is what is irreconcilable with God's agape love, NOT some non-existent wrathful attribute of God.
https://www.blueletterbible.org/sear...=s_primary_0_1

Old 08-05-2021, 02:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:
It does no good point to Bible verses that contain our ancestors' belief that negative consequences are imposed by the wrath of God. I just said that was the case. Why do you accept their belief about the wrath of God in the face of the unambiguous demonstration of God's Holy Spirit of agape love by Jesus Christ which had NO WRATH under the most horrendous of treatment??????

Old 08-05-2021, 11:34 PM

Quote:
It does no good point to Bible verses that contain our ancestors' belief that negative consequences are imposed by the wrath of God. I just said that was the case. Why do you accept their belief about the wrath of God in the face of the unambiguous demonstration of God's Holy Spirit of agape love by Jesus Christ which had NO WRATH under the most horrendous of treatment??????
Because their statements are included in the Holy Bible, which we call the word of God.

Jesus' demonstration of God's agape love shows forth that He took upon Himself the wrath of Almighty God in dying on the Cross; in our place.

It in no way denies that there is wrath against sin coming from the heart of the Father.

He is holy, just, and yes, He has wrath against sin.

Old 08-06-2021, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Because their statements are included in the Holy Bible, which we call the word of God.
Jesus' demonstration of God's agape love shows forth that He took upon Himself the wrath of Almighty God in dying on the Cross; in our place.
It in no way denies that there is wrath against sin coming from the heart of the Father.
He is holy, just, and yes, He has wrath against sin.
Well, elevating the Bible as Holy above and beyond the very Word of God Himself, Jesus Christ is a grievous error, IMO. But your human interpretation using a God of wrath is a rationalization that has existed for millennia. I am unlikely to get you to see its primitive origins and error, brother.

Old 08-06-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Well, elevating the Bible as Holy above and beyond the very Word of God Himself, Jesus Christ is a grievous error, IMO. But your human interpretation using a God of wrath is a rationalization that has existed for millennia. I am unlikely to get you to see its primitive origins and error, brother.
Have you considered the following scripture?

Psa 138:2, I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

I don't think that you can find anything in the above scripture that is not in conjunction with God's agape love; but you have to reject it because it exalts the entire Bible as being the word of God...the scripture in question teaches that God Himself exalts His word even above His own name.

That, from my perspective, is high exaltation!

Old 08-06-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Have you considered the following scripture?

Psa 138:2, I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

I don't think that you can find anything in the above scripture that is not in conjunction with God's agape love; but you have to reject it because it exalts the entire Bible as being the word of God...the scripture in question teaches that God Himself exalts His word even above His own name.

That, from my perspective, is high exaltation!
But I would NOT reject it BECAUSE it IS compatible with God's Holy Spirit of agape love. Your interpretation of what it means is wrong because you equate God's word with the Bible instead of Jesus whose name is exalted above all names. Why do you have so much difficulty comprehending this process of testing scripture to make sure it IS scripture from God???? I do not blindly reject scripture. Why do you blindly accept it????

Old 08-06-2021, 11:23 PM

Quote:
But I would NOT reject it BECAUSE it IS compatible with God's Holy Spirit of agape love. Your interpretation of what it means is wrong because you equate God's word with the Bible instead of Jesus whose name is exalted above all names. Why do you have so much difficulty comprehending this process of testing scripture to make sure it IS scripture from God???? I do not blindly reject scripture. Why do you blindly accept it????
Do you have any scripture that says that the word (small "w") is not the Holy Bible?

I have scripture that tells me that the word of God was spoken (Hebrews 13:7). How then is the word of God Jesus and not the Holy Bible? Do you not confess that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh? How is Jesus the word of God since the word of God was spoken?

It seems to me that you reject those scriptures that are not compatible with the theology that you have preconceived in your own mind. Therefore, you have formed your religion of your own thinking and then take the Bible and pick and choose verses to substantiate your thinking.

But you would do well not to pick and choose. You would do well to form your religion from the whole of what the Bible says.

After all, it is written of Jesus in the entire volume of the Book (Hebrews 10:7).

And, known unto God are all His works (including the protestant kjv Bible) from before the foundations of the world (Acts 15:18).

Old 08-07-2021, 02:28 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Do you have any scripture that says that the word (small "w") is not the Holy Bible?

I have scripture that tells me that the word of God was spoken (Hebrews 13:7). How then is the word of God Jesus and not the Holy Bible? Do you not confess that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh? How is Jesus the word of God since the word of God was spoken?

It seems to me that you reject those scriptures that are not compatible with the theology that you have preconceived in your own mind. Therefore, you have formed your religion of your own thinking and then take the Bible and pick and choose verses to substantiate your thinking.

But you would do well not to pick and choose. You would do well to form your religion from the whole of what the Bible says.

After all, it is written of Jesus in the entire volume of the Book (Hebrews 10:7).

And, known unto God are all His works (including the protestant kjv Bible) from before the foundations of the world (Acts 15:18).
He didn't write the King James. And, the Protestant's merely follow the Catholic Church in one form or another.

Old 08-07-2021, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
He didn't write the King James. And, the Protestant's merely follow the Catholic Church in one form or another.
God actually had a vested interest in the process of the kjv being translated and took an active part in it.

And of course, he inspired to be written the manuscripts from which the kjv is derived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity