Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2008, 11:08 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,752,040 times

Advertisements

Our Lord directs us to grow and develop as Christians, maturing in our faith and our relationship to our Savior. The only way that this can be realized in the believer’s life is to diligently apply oneself to the study and comprehension of His Word. We are to drink it like milk and consume it as the meat of life. “12By now you should be teachers. Instead, you still need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God’s word. You need milk, not solid food. 13</SPAN>All those who live on milk lack the experience to talk about what is right. They are still babies” (Hebrews 5:12-13 (http://www.crossbooks.com/verse.asp?ref=Heb+5%3A12-13 - broken link)). Only by consuming this life-giving food can we become living stones and priests to our God. We must mature beyond the milk of the Word and become disciples who can eat meat, discerning the weightier matters of God’s plan.
Let us rest in the Lord, submitted to the Holy Spirit, conformed by His Word to His ways, and obedient in all we do to our Lord. Only this will lead to a life of true peace and joy that comes from Jesus Christ alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 02:51 PM

298 posts, read 715,997 times
This is a great post. The modern church seems to be all about accomplishing the great commission (which is good!!) but then when the time comes to help the believers mature and grow, the church (in the USA) today (most congregations, not all) falls very short. Every individual believer has a responsibility to respond to the call of the Holy Spirit to mature in their faith and to learn and grow. However, the church also has a responsibility (I believe) to mentor new Christians, to teach them the basics of the faith, to show new believers the Biblical support for whatever doctrines they are being taught, and to show new believers how to study the Word and grow on their own.

Most churches in my home country (the USA) are merely content to make sure new Christians show up for an hour or two on Sunday morning. God gave us all of these resources and yet the church continually neglects to put those resources to use and continues to accept lazy apathy among the body towards serious study of God's Word (unless of course that person wants to go to seminary.) Everyone should be encouraged to study the Bible in depth.

Last edited by HSVbulldawg; 12-30-2008 at 03:03 PM..

Old 12-31-2008, 08:27 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,752,040 times
Smile Milk

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVbulldawg View Post
This is a great post. The modern church seems to be all about accomplishing the great commission (which is good!!) but then when the time comes to help the believers mature and grow, the church (in the USA) today (most congregations, not all) falls very short. Every individual believer has a responsibility to respond to the call of the Holy Spirit to mature in their faith and to learn and grow. However, the church also has a responsibility (I believe) to mentor new Christians, to teach them the basics of the faith, to show new believers the Biblical support for whatever doctrines they are being taught, and to show new believers how to study the Word and grow on their own.

Most churches in my home country (the USA) are merely content to make sure new Christians show up for an hour or two on Sunday morning. God gave us all of these resources and yet the church continually neglects to put those resources to use and continues to accept lazy apathy among the body towards serious study of God's Word (unless of course that person wants to go to seminary.) Everyone should be encouraged to study the Bible in depth.

Yes I agee, I just thing some time of our pastor Shouldn't give us the ability to hunger for knowledge of the Scriptures or that we should study daily and unite as one body, we seemed to be so separated from what we have learned, pastors to should unite to give a clear message to the people, the church today has changed a lot since the old days, we should be old-fashioned as the days of the churches of our first fathers minister, especially to our young. Thank you

Old 12-31-2008, 02:26 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,659,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWordIsOne View Post
Our Lord directs us to grow and develop as Christians, maturing in our faith and our relationship to our Savior. The only way that this can be realized in the believer’s life is to diligently apply oneself to the study and comprehension of His Word. We are to drink it like milk and consume it as the meat of life. “12By now you should be teachers. Instead, you still need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God’s word. You need milk, not solid food. 13</SPAN>All those who live on milk lack the experience to talk about what is right. They are still babies” (Hebrews 5:12-13 (http://www.crossbooks.com/verse.asp?ref=Heb+5%3A12-13 - broken link)). Only by consuming this life-giving food can we become living stones and priests to our God. We must mature beyond the milk of the Word and become disciples who can eat meat, discerning the weightier matters of God’s plan.
Let us rest in the Lord, submitted to the Holy Spirit, conformed by His Word to His ways, and obedient in all we do to our Lord. Only this will lead to a life of true peace and joy that comes from Jesus Christ alone.
Amen!!...everyday I realize more and more how much of "a work in progress" I am!....at times I believe I eat "chowder"....a little "meat" and a little "milk".....but thank God I'm not who I used to be!!...Love you TWIO!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity