Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2013, 08:43 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,142,186 times

Advertisements

Hebrews 4

The Promise of Rest

4 Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it. 2 For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them,[a] not being mixed with faith in those who heard it. 3 For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said:
“So I swore in My wrath,
‘They shall not enter My rest,’”[b]

although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. 4 For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: “And God rested on the seventh day from all His works”; [c] 5 and again in this place: “They shall not enter My rest.”[d]
6 Since therefore it remains that some must enter it, and those to whom it was first preached did not enter because of disobedience, 7 again He designates a certain day, saying in David, “Today,” after such a long time, as it has been said:“Today, if you will hear His voice, Do not harden your hearts.”[e]
8 For if Joshua had given them rest, then He would not afterward have spoken of another day.

9 There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. 10 For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His.
The Word Discovers Our Condition

11 Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience. 12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13 And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.
Our Compassionate High Priest

14 Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. 15 For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are the true and accurate meanings of verses 9-11, as there are 2 main beliefs of these verses.

Side A: Thinks it means we are to continue to keep the Saturday Sabbath
because the Sabbath day observance itself remains for the people of God, and that's why it ends with the admonition that one should cease or rest from any works.

Side B: Many Christians simply says this means our final rest is in Christ, not a day of the week, so when we accept Christ as our Savior we rest from our own works.

--

Side A: says the Sabbath is carried over in the New Testament and points to Hebrews 4 that it still should be kept.

Side B: says the Sabbath was not carried over into the New Testament and points to Hebrews 4 as proof Christ is our Sabbath rest.

So which is it???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 08:54 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
What are the true and accurate meanings of verses 9-11, as there are 2 main beliefs of these verses.

Side A: Thinks it means we are to continue to keep the Saturday Sabbath
because the Sabbath day observance itself remains for the people of God, and that's why it ends with the admonition that one should cease or rest from any works.

Side B: Many Christians simply says this means our final rest is in Christ, not a day of the week, so when we accept Christ as our Savior we rest from our own works.

--

Side A: says the Sabbath is carried over in the New Testament and points to Hebrews 4 that it still should be kept.

Side B: says the Sabbath was not carried over into the New Testament and points to Hebrews 4 as proof Christ is our Sabbath rest.

So which is it???
Side A. The commandment to keep the Sabbath Day holy has never been rescinded. Jesus Christ kept the Sabbath, but He also observed that the Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath. The Mosaic Law was kind of the reverse of this, and we are no longer under that law.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:39 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Neither, as you have stated it. Side A misses the fact that as follwers of Christ we "enter His rest" "today," that is to say that when we join with Christ, make the commitment to follow Him, we have entered that rest that was shadowed by "Sabbath." As you state the "side b" position, you miss an important distinction: we rest from "works of the Law" or attempts to earn "salvation," but that does not mean that we rest from those "good works" that Jesus intended us to be "eager to do."
With that note, side B as the Sabbath was a shadow of what we have in Christ.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:24 PM

452 posts, read 709,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Neither, as you have stated it. Side A misses the fact that as follwers of Christ we "enter His rest" "today," that is to say that when we join with Christ, make the commitment to follow Him, we have entered that rest that was shadowed by "Sabbath." As you state the "side b" position, you miss an important distinction: we rest from "works of the Law" or attempts to earn "salvation," but that does not mean that we rest from those "good works" that Jesus intended us to be "eager to do."
With that note, side B as the Sabbath was a shadow of what we have in Christ.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:27 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
B. Christ IS our rest.

9 of the 10 Commandments were reiterated in the New Testament. The only one that isn't is the Sabbath. It's because we rest in Christ. He accomplished salvation for his people--not us. We can rest in him. We do not work--because he did it for us.

We know the believers started meeting on the first day of the week, Sunday. Here, Paul is instructing them regarding their meeting, and the tithes they would gather:

1 Cor. 16:1-2, "Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I directed the churches of Galatia, so do you also. 2 On the first day of every week let each one of you put aside and save, as he may prosper, that no collections be made when I come."

It was also on Sunday that John got his Revelation:

Rev. 1:10-11, "I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like the sound of a trumpet, 11saying, "Write in a book what you see, and send it to the seven churches: to Ephesus and to Smyrna and to Pergamum and to Thyatira and to Sardis and to Philadelphia and to Laodicea."

Simply put, we don't HAVE TO worship on Saturday, but we have the freedom to worship any and every day. The early church recognized Sunday as the Lord's Day.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:29 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,142,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
B. Christ IS our rest.

9 of the 10 Commandments were reiterated in the New Testament. The only one that isn't is the Sabbath. It's because we rest in Christ. He accomplished salvation for his people--not us. We can rest in him. We do not work--because he did it for us.

We know the believers started meeting on the first day of the week, Sunday. Here, Paul is instructing them regarding their meeting, and the tithes they would gather:

1 Cor. 16:1-2, "Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I directed the churches of Galatia, so do you also. 2 On the first day of every week let each one of you put aside and save, as he may prosper, that no collections be made when I come."

It was also on Sunday that John got his Revelation:

Rev. 1:10-11, "I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like the sound of a trumpet, 11saying, "Write in a book what you see, and send it to the seven churches: to Ephesus and to Smyrna and to Pergamum and to Thyatira and to Sardis and to Philadelphia and to Laodicea."

Simply put, we don't HAVE TO worship on Saturday, but we have the freedom to worship any and every day. The early church recognized Sunday as the Lord's Day.

I thought the only reason he was collecting funds in 1 Cor 16 on Sunday was to because they could not conduct busniess transactions on the Sabbath and it was to help the needy in Israel because they were going through a famine, not a instruction to assemble and worship.

As for the Lords days, no one can yet really prove what day he was referring to. Side A says Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath, so the Lords day was Saturday and Side B says the Lords day is Sunday since re rose from the dead that day.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:51 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
When every day is the Lord's day when you live a sacramental life and rest in His promise.

btw, First day Meeting seems to have begun as a get together after the Jewish Sabbath, after sundown,that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity