Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 05:39 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times

Advertisements

I had a friend who was always doing something for show. I think it was an insecurity problem and seemed to be compulsive. He and his wife joined a church and within a month or two he was an elder. He confided to me that he thought it was all phony storytelling and nothing to the Bible or church beliefs. He eventually latched on to the next shiny thing and left the church in the dust. He did that with wives and jobs as well. He has calmed down as he aged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2021, 05:39 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,777,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
Sure, church staff doesn't need to be Christian. Although I'd think that someone who is Christian would be more motivated to work for a church than a non-Christian would be.

But the elders, deacons and clergy certainly would need to be Christian, at least if I were picking them, due to Biblical descriptions of the qualifications for church leaders.

I guess the reasons why the nonbelievers I know are leaders of their houses of worship is the ethnic connection to the ethnic group that the house of worship focuses on. It still seems odd--that the individuals would serve and that the house of worship would ask them to serve.
Well, as the first commandment is to love God, it seems best that church leaders should…love God.

Old 08-03-2021, 06:05 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,685,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I guess sometimes people have love in their hearts for their churches and communities and see their churches as a way to serve that community, even if they don't call themselves Christians. Hard to believe, isn't it?
Imagine that!

Old 08-03-2021, 08:10 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I guess sometimes people have love in their hearts for their churches and communities and see their churches as a way to serve that community, even if they don't call themselves Christians. Hard to believe, isn't it?
HOWBOWDAH!!

Old 08-06-2021, 12:12 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
I wasn't raised, nor do I attend, a church where people use phrases like "I am on fire for God!". People are not "goofy for God" They can and do talk about other subjects than their personal experience or relationship with "the Lord". So, to some, they may seem irreligious. They may seem like regular people. Because they ARE regular people who do not don sackcloth and ashes to show that they are "saved".

Who is anyone to judge who is or is not Christian? In a church that is sacerdotal, hellfire and brimstone will not be preached. At the same time, people's presence and involvement with the church are indicative of their hearts. Baptism and Holy communion confer grace. Those are sacraments. They are not hollow acts. They are ancient rituals and creeds followed by the majority of Christians throughout the world.

Being a Christian involves PROOF of the fruits of Jesus' love for the least among us. It involves a commitment to making your little part of the world a just and kind place for the least of those among you. If all you are doing is playing loud music, bragging about the things that you abstain from - wine, worldly music, movies, and separating one's self from sinners in a smug and self-righteous way, I will be bold and say that you just do not get the message of Jesus Christ.

You are prideful and judgemental. That is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity