Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2021, 06:45 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,131,665 times

Advertisements

I've been a church officer for years. I have never volunteered to do so; the church keeps asking, and I keep getting elected (by the congregation), and so I keep serving. I figure that if the church asks me to do something, it could be God asking through the church, so I figure that I'd better do it.

I've recently come across a few people who are not religious and are not even sure that they believe in God. However, they are active members of their congregations and serve on the leadership teams of their houses of worship.

I find that strange. One does it because he's curious about religion (and he's very sociable); the other likes his ethnicity and cultural heritage and believes that the church is a good way to maintain that heritage.

I'm glad that they're willing to help out, but is it not unusual to have a nonbeliever running a house of worship?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2021, 08:49 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,843,144 times
The true Church of Christ on earth is comprised only of Christians ... from many denominations. However, not all people who attend gatherings referred to as "churches" are Christians; indeed, not all groups who declare themselves "churches" are Christian.

For example, a poster on the "Christianity Forum" of CD, might declare themselves to be a member of the 'church of CD'. Likewise, many posters on CD present themselves as "Christians," yet, in doctrine and truth, they remain just as lost as last year's Easter Egg.

Christian churches (and CD Christianity forum) are good places for both believers and non-believers, regardless of their motivation for being there. Where else is one to hear the Gospel of Salvation in Jesus Christ?

Old 07-31-2021, 07:54 PM

88,619 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The true Church of Christ on earth is comprised only of Christians ... from many denominations. However, not all people who attend gatherings referred to as "churches" are Christians; indeed, not all groups who declare themselves "churches" are Christian.

For example, a poster on the "Christianity Forum" of CD, might declare themselves to be a member of the 'church of CD'. Likewise, many posters on CD present themselves as "Christians," yet, in doctrine and truth, they remain just as lost as last year's Easter Egg.

Christian churches (and CD Christianity forum) are good places for both believers and non-believers, regardless of their motivation for being there. Where else is one to hear the Gospel of Salvation in Jesus Christ?
And, one might add, in the way they treat their neighbors. There is a poster who pops in here occasionally who claims to be a retired pastor (not YOU, jghorton, lol, who I believe also makes the same claim), yet elsewhere on City-Data he reviles the poor, including the elderly poor, with utter disdain, while bragging about his own worldly possessions.]

There are people on here who would fly-kick Jesus out of the way to smooch the butt of such a person if they quoted the right verses and intoned the standard condemnations of others whom they personally have decided don't deserve the Kingdom, but in the end, man looks at the outward appearance, but God looks at the heart.

Old 08-01-2021, 02:52 AM

9,691 posts, read 10,027,043 times
Many people who have varying degree of foundation in Christ or none at all, as some could be the children of the devil and some could be children of God, and Jesus says leave the tares for Him to judge ...... Heard a prophet of faith last week proclaim that the sheep of God are following after fires of the spirit not of the Lord and need complete discernment of spirits which is a gift of Holy Spirit....... So what people can do if unbeliever are in charge is to pray that God would have His leaders of His church here in sync. With the plan of God and will of God, or you pray and ask God what church you need me to go to

Old 08-01-2021, 08:02 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
I've been a church officer for years. I have never volunteered to do so; the church keeps asking, and I keep getting elected (by the congregation), and so I keep serving. I figure that if the church asks me to do something, it could be God asking through the church, so I figure that I'd better do it.

I've recently come across a few people who are not religious and are not even sure that they believe in God. However, they are active members of their congregations and serve on the leadership teams of their houses of worship.

I find that strange. One does it because he's curious about religion (and he's very sociable); the other likes his ethnicity and cultural heritage and believes that the church is a good way to maintain that heritage.

I'm glad that they're willing to help out, but is it not unusual to have a nonbeliever running a house of worship?

Thanks.
Is it a small church?

There is one difference between big and small churches, in that it seems like small churches will put anyone and everyone on the leadership team they can if they are a member. Oftentimes, membership is granted not based on a common faith, but on whether or not the person is likable, is related to others in the church, or simply out of a need to have more church officers.

That shouldn't be true. But it is.

On the other hand, I've been in a bigger church that desired so much to have a huge choir and great worship team that it was known as the church to go to for anyone wanting to perform.

Old 08-02-2021, 05:22 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,008,549 times
Quote:

Thanks.

Most houses of worship are ran by unbelievers by Bible definition. An unbeliever encompasses all persons who do not stand on Jehovah's side of the issue.

Old 08-02-2021, 08:37 AM

1,196 posts, read 754,538 times
Quote:
I've been a church officer for years. I have never volunteered to do so; the church keeps asking, and I keep getting elected (by the congregation), and so I keep serving. I figure that if the church asks me to do something, it could be God asking through the church, so I figure that I'd better do it. I've recently come across a few people who are not religious and are not even sure that they believe in God. However, they are active members of their congregations and serve on the leadership teams of their houses of worship. I find that strange. One does it because he's curious about religion (and he's very sociable); the other likes his ethnicity and cultural heritage and believes that the church is a good way to maintain that heritage. I'm glad that they're willing to help out, but is it not unusual to have a nonbeliever running a house of worship? Thanks.
this is why Jehovah God wants us to read his words...(Matt. 4:4 “But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceed out of the mouth of God”). this (1 Timothy 4:13 “Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation, to teaching”). and this (Josh 1:8 “This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success”). by reading the Bible we would know what's acceptable to God and what's NOT. what's from him...and what's from satan .

the devil has ways in making what is wrong, seem right. especially to those who do not know the truth ,(2Cor. 11:13-15 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into apostles of Christ. And no wonder! For Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also transform themselves into ministers of righteousness, whose end will be according to their works). satan places people to do what he wants them to do. especially if they're NOT trying trying to follow in Jesus steps. ANY who's going against Jehovah God, is working for satan, even if they believe they aren't. a true Christians knows satan's tricks ,(2Cor. 2:11 lest Satan should take advantage of us; for we are not ignorant of his devices).

if we see something that seems strange in a place of worship. we have the right to ask questions. the leaders suppose to explain what they know. whoever says that one cannot question their leader, (I've heard a suppose to be minister say that he wasn't to be questioned), they're lying. Abraham question Jehovah God over and over concerning the soon to be destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. God didn't correct him, so why would imperfect man think he can't be questioned? also Jehovah said this...(Rev. 18:4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues). false religions and it's false teachings will soon be done away with ,(Rev. 18:2-11,22-24). peace

Old 08-02-2021, 01:36 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,174,871 times
Technically, these matters are between those two people and God. Whatever their position is with God is a personal matter, not a public one. On the other hand, what they bring to the church would be a different matter.

Since so many card-carryin' Bible-bangin' religion-lovin' fundies run churches and get it completely wrong, we'd be better off having some involved who aren't so caught up with the organized side of it. A rich mix is a healthy mix. A healthy church can benefit from all kinds of people. And what a better way to welcome someone by inviting their skills and talents, rather than checking their "card" at the door before they can do something. That's more likely to lead to their spiritual growth than blocking them up front or hassling them. Sounds like a church doing something right for a change.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 08-02-2021 at 01:46 PM..

Old 08-02-2021, 01:39 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times
Quote:

Thanks.
I think that is a good thing. "believing", in things like we are part of a larger vastly more complex system but are not sure what it is tends to leave us with the ability to self correct ourselves over time. As we learn more about the universe we learn more about this "god" people are talking about.

Old 08-02-2021, 02:50 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,801,153 times
While you can never be sure, we ask all our leadership to confirm their faith in Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity