Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2021, 06:31 AM

4,483 posts, read 1,323,729 times

Advertisements

Have you ever wondered what Jesus meant by Matt. 18:20?

" For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."

I've heard though the years several interpretations for this verse. Let's take in the context and see what it really means. I will back up a five verses in leading to this verse with the key theme.

vs. 15-17

"Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.

But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.

And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican."

Christ was dealing with sin in the church! This is not received very well in todays church, as we all know! And this is the single biggest problem with the church, sin is not being dealt with!

The Law of Moses dealt exactly the same way with sin among the people of Israel.

Deut. 19:15

"One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established."

If you are serious about serving the Living the God, I would suggest having a chat with your pastor to see if your church is a church that deals with sin, or a church that just tolerates it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2021, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post

" For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."

I've heard though the years several interpretations for this verse. Let's take in the context and see what it really means. I will back up a five verses in leading to this verse with the key theme.

vs. 15-17

"Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.

But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.

And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican."

Christ was dealing with sin in the church! This is not received very well in todays church, as we all know! And this is the single biggest problem with the church, sin is not being dealt with!

The Law of Moses dealt exactly the same way with sin among the people of Israel.

"One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established."

If you are serious about serving the Living the God, I would suggest having a chat with your pastor to see if your church is a church that deals with sin, or a church that just tolerates it!
If your church is a church that deals with sin, you can rest assured that when you deal with it, I (Jesus) am in the mist with you!

Old 08-01-2021, 07:40 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:

vs. 15-17

Great post. Read it in context, and yes--we see that Jesus did not intend for our churches to welcome every sin along with every sinner. The expectation is that we should be different than the world, not embracing it.

And that's a very unpopular concept around here. We get called all sorts of nasty names for wanting to be in churches with a higher standard.

Old 08-01-2021, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Great post. Read it in context, and yes--we see that Jesus did not intend for our churches to welcome every sin along with every sinner. The expectation is that we should be different than the world, not embracing it.

And that's a very unpopular concept around here. We get called all sorts of nasty names for wanting to be in churches with a higher standard.
Yes sir, I agree BF!

Old 08-02-2021, 05:20 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,008,273 times
Quote:

vs. 15-17

Seems simple enough for me Charlie, of course he didn't mean literally, but he promised that if a minimum of 2 gathered in his name, he would be aware of their gathering and support them in their endeavor. That is his promise to his disciples, his guarantee. Most appropriately then we need to offer our prayers in his name.

Old 08-02-2021, 08:09 AM

3,573 posts, read 1,178,341 times
Quote:

vs. 15-17

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/complement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity