Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 01:48 PM

3,220 posts, read 926,819 times

Advertisements

Man is not forgiven for each individual sin. He is forgiven for all sin if He does a task. The task is not to ask per say for forgiveness but in doing the task you are asking.

The task is to believe in God’s only Son, the prophets. To believe is to join the forces of the Son and spread God’s word. That is how the Son frees you. There is no other way into the kingdom of heaven.

“If the son frees you, you shall truly be free.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2021, 10:05 AM

3,831 posts, read 1,386,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
This morning’s service at my church ended with the pastor saying that we were forgiven 2,000 years ago, and thinking that we must ask for forgiveness or repent correctly in order to be forgiven is incorrect.

I don’t buy that. There are numerous Bible verses saying, among others:

1. We have to forgive in order to be forgiven.
2. We must repent in order to be forgiven.

Thoughts?
Not asking forgiveness after one has offended is presumption.
Jesus finished HIS work; WE haven't (finished ours)!

Old 08-14-2021, 10:53 AM

299 posts, read 104,241 times
Quote:
This morning’s service at my church ended with the pastor saying that we were forgiven 2,000 years ago, and thinking that we must ask for forgiveness or repent correctly in order to be forgiven is incorrect.

Thoughts?
Your pastor is right, I think, to say that all sins were forgiven in one act of God. But did your pastor really say that it's wrong to think we should go on repenting? What seems more likely to me (and I'm on shaky ground here, knowing neither you nor your pastor) is that you drew that inference on your own as the logical conclusion. I don't know, of course. You should ask your pastor for clarification.

Old 08-14-2021, 11:17 AM

299 posts, read 104,241 times
Look at it this way: God is not stuck in time the way we are. When the Lord surveys creation He sees it all in one glance, past, present and future. Not only that, God can act in the past, present and future. That is how the ancient cross covers future sins. Your future sins have already happened in God's perspective.

We, however, are stuck in time. We have one and only one present moment in which to repent and to be thankful for grace. We don't have the Godlike power of sending our voices of contrition and thanks to the distant past. So yeah, you repent now even if you were forgiven long ago.

Old 08-14-2021, 11:28 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,168,573 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
Read Romans 8:1 and report back................

Old 08-14-2021, 11:49 AM

10,043 posts, read 4,974,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Read Romans 8:1 and report back................
I see the ' law of sin ' (within) mentioned at Romans 7:23,25 besides Romans 8:1-2.
Contrasted with the ' Law of God ' at Romans 7:21,23; Romans 8:7
Plus, the ' law of the mind ' at Romans 7:23
Yipes, how does the 'mind' win out the battle _______________

Old 08-14-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Humphrey View Post
Look at it this way: God is not stuck in time the way we are. When the Lord surveys creation He sees it all in one glance, past, present and future. Not only that, God can act in the past, present and future. That is how the ancient cross covers future sins. Your future sins have already happened in God's perspective.
We, however, are stuck in time. We have one and only one present moment in which to repent and to be thankful for grace. We don't have the Godlike power of sending our voices of contrition and thanks to the distant past. So yeah, you repent now even if (IF) you were forgiven long ago.
Yes, I find the "IF" you were forgiven.... to be a factor to consider because of what we read at 1st John 1:7 "IF" we are .....

Old 08-14-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Not asking forgiveness after one has offended is presumption.
Jesus finished HIS work; WE haven't (finished ours)!
Good point ^ above^ because Jesus said at Matthew 24:13 to endure to the end in order to be saved.
Endure faithful to death, or be found faithful at Jesus' coming Glory Time found at Matthew 25:31-33,37.
And as 1st Cor. 10:12 says to 'beware'.....

Old 08-14-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
.......The task is to believe in God’s only Son, the prophets. To believe is to join the forces of the Son and spread God’s word. That is how the Son frees you. There is no other way into the kingdom of heaven.
“If the son frees you, you shall truly be free.”
Yes, the 'truth' (John 17:17) will set one free. Free from what is false / unscriptural.
Free to spread God's Word about the 'good news of God's kingdom' - Daniel 2:44; John 4:43; Acts 1:8; Matthew 24:14.

Old 08-14-2021, 12:13 PM

3,220 posts, read 926,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Yes, the 'truth' (John 17:17) will set one free. Free from what is false / unscriptural.
Free to spread God's Word about the 'good news of God's kingdom' - Daniel 2:44; John 4:43; Acts 1:8; Matthew 24:14.
Funny how the truth sets free and the son sets free.

That is because if one serves the Father they become the son by abiding in God’s word and keeping it alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity