Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 06:04 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,008,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
You are pronouncing it incorrectly. Jehovah is not the proper way to pronounce YHWH. I would think that you would want to pronounce God's name correctly. Even Yahweh may not be the correct way to pronounce the name but it is certainly closer than Jehovah. But suit yourself.

I speak English sir, and write it as well, therefore when I use God's name it will be in the English form of Jehovah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 06:07 AM

4,483 posts, read 1,324,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
If a person does not accept scripture as being the final authority, I am unable to help them Faith. To them anything they say is from God, and anything I say is simply my opinion even when using supporting scriptures. There is an element of freedom from not accepting the Bible as God's word, freedom to be your own god like Adam and Eve, however I don't think they will be happy with the selection in the end.
Now here's something we can agree on, highway! You and I don't agree on many things but I do know you have a very solid respect for the scripture. Unlike many here who prove they don't every day!

Old 08-17-2021, 08:03 AM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
Now here's something we can agree on, highway! You and I don't agree on many things but I do know you have a very solid respect for the scripture. Unlike many here who prove they don't every day!
The problem is you DO NOT have respect for the scripture because you do not use respect for Jesus Christ by using His demonstration of God's Holy Spirit of agape love as a TEST for what is actually correctly interpreted scripture. In short, you need to have respect for Jesus Christ as a Christian, Charlie!!!

Old 08-17-2021, 09:49 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
I speak English sir, and write it as well, therefore when I use God's name it will be in the English form of Jehovah.
Then you will continue to mispronounce God's name.

Old 08-17-2021, 12:22 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,150,568 times
Quote:
Then you will continue to mispronounce God's name.
The name Jehovah has been the transliterated English pronunciation for centuries.

It's found in the King James Bible which is in wide use

"That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth."-Psalm 83:18

The writer of Proverbs wrote:

"What his his name AND the name of his son, if you know.-Proverbs 8:3

Scholars differ on the pronunciation but the mistake has been deleting God's name and instead substituting titles.

Instead of substituting the name of God with titles we should be using it because by using his name we come to know him too.

"This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ.”-John 17:3

Another rendering, "And this is eternal life: [it means] to know (to perceive, recognize, become acquainted with, and understand) You, the only true and real God, and [likewise] to know Him, Jesus [as the] Christ (the Anointed One, the Messiah), Whom You have sent.(AMPC)

"I have made your name known to them and will make it known, so that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in union with them.”-John 17:26

The Bible says what it says and making his name known was important to Jesus. regardless of one's personal take on it.

Old 08-17-2021, 12:29 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
A name is not who you are, names can be changed - it's merely what people call you.

Last edited by Jerwade; 08-17-2021 at 12:41 PM..

Old 08-17-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
The name Jehovah has been the transliterated English pronunciation for centuries.
That doesn't change the fact that Jehovah is the wrong pronunciation of God's name.

Old 08-17-2021, 02:59 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,846,500 times
Quote:
What you are saying is that the second person of the Trinity incarnated while the third person of the Trinity did not.
No, that is not what I am saying.

I am saying that the 3rd Person of the Trinity is the 1st Person of the Trinity, with the distinction that He has lived a human life (see Luke 23:46).

So, the 3rd Person of the Trinity incarnated when the 1st Person of the Trinity did so.

Because God is one (James 2:19).

Quote:
If a person does not accept scripture as being the final authority, I am unable to help them Faith. To them anything they say is from God, and anything I say is simply my opinion even when using supporting scriptures. There is an element of freedom from not accepting the Bible as God's word, freedom to be your own god like Adam and Eve, however I don't think they will be happy with the selection in the end.
The word of the Lord will not return void even if the person does not currently believe that it is the word of the Lord. It is like a sword. If I have a sharp sword in my hand, I do not have to argue with anyone about how sharp the sword is. If I stick them with the sword, they will immediately understand that the sword is indeed sharp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post

It's found in the King James Bible which is in wide use

"That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth."-Psalm 83:18

The writer of Proverbs wrote:

"What his his name AND the name of his son, if you know.-Proverbs 8:3

Scholars differ on the pronunciation but the mistake has been deleting God's name and instead substituting titles.

Instead of substituting the name of God with titles we should be using it because by using his name we come to know him too.

"This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ.”-John 17:3

Another rendering, "And this is eternal life: [it means] to know (to perceive, recognize, become acquainted with, and understand) You, the only true and real God, and [likewise] to know Him, Jesus [as the] Christ (the Anointed One, the Messiah), Whom You have sent.(AMPC)

"I have made your name known to them and will make it known, so that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in union with them.”-John 17:26

The Bible says what it says and making his name known was important to Jesus. regardless of one's personal take on it.
If you read Matthew 28:19 and Acts 2:38, and accept that Peter was not being disobedient, then you may understand that the name (singular) of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost is Jesus Christ.

Also, the Greek word for "and" in John 17:3, is "kai", which can be translated "even".

So, it can be rendered,

Jhn 17:3, And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, <even> Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Old 08-17-2021, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
No, that is not what I am saying.

I am saying that the 3rd Person of the Trinity is the 1st Person of the Trinity, with the distinction that He has lived a human life (see Luke 23:46).

So, the 3rd Person of the Trinity incarnated when the 1st Person of the Trinity did so.

Because God is one (James 2:19).
Well, you're wrong. The 3rd person of the Trinity is the Holy Spirit and he is not the Father who is the 1st person of the Trinity. Nor did the 3rd person of the Trinity incarnate. It was the 2nd person of the Trinity who incarnated. Jesus is the 2nd person of the Trinity. Not the Holy Spirit.

God is one in essence, not in person.

Your ideas about the Trinity are heretical. Period.

Old 08-17-2021, 05:46 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Well, you're wrong. The 3rd person of the Trinity is the Holy Spirit and he is not the Father who is the 1st person of the Trinity. Nor did the 3rd person of the Trinity incarnate. It was the 2nd person of the Trinity who incarnated. Jesus is the 2nd person of the Trinity. Not the Holy Spirit.

God is one in essence, not in person.

Your ideas about the Trinity are heretical. Period.
All ideas about the Trinity are off-topic and irrational anyway!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity