Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2021, 08:18 AM

4,483 posts, read 1,324,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
There’s 72...
Do you think He wants us to know all of them to be in His will?

Or is He happy with us proclaiming Him as the only God as He says?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2021, 08:19 AM

8,039 posts, read 1,847,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
Sorry sir, I am not skilled enough to reason with one that does not accept Scripture as fact.
Just use the scriptures anyway. They will not return void (Isaiah 55:10-11).

If I have a sharp sword in my hand (Hebrews 4:12, Ephesians 6:17), I do not have to argue with anyone about whether the sword is sharp or not.

I can prove it to them by sticking them with the sword.

Last edited by justbyfaith; 08-16-2021 at 08:29 AM..

Old 08-16-2021, 08:24 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,051,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Why do you deny the existence of God the Holy Spirit?

You've ignored the verses quoted to you showing that He is an actual person. Why?

It is the spirit OF G-d...It is a quality, an attribute, OF G-d...

Old 08-16-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
Sure Jesus says hallowed be thy name but does not mention the name. Why?

It is meant for those who deserve to know. The meek and merciful.
I know it and it’s pronunciation...

Old 08-16-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Actually not. Both Yahweh and Jehovah are transliterations, not translations of the Tetragrammaton YHWH. The distinction is important to understand.
Transliteration is the process of transferring a word from the alphabet of one language to another. Transliteration helps people pronounce words and names in foreign languages. Unlike a translation, which tells you the meaning of a word that's written in another language, a transliteration only gives you an idea of how the word is pronounced, by putting it in a familiar alphabet.

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/transliteration
An example of transliteration vs translation is the Greek word ἐκκλησία. A translation of ἐκκλησία is the English word 'church.' But a transliteration of ἐκκλησία is ekklésia.

Both Yahweh and Jehovah are transliterations of the Hebrew Tetragrammaton YHWH. But again,
The vast majority of Jewish and Christian biblical scholars and linguists do not believe “Jehovah” to be the proper pronunciation of YHWH. There was no true J sound in ancient Hebrew. Even the Hebrew letter vav, which is transliterated as the W in YHWH is said to have originally had a pronunciation closer to W than the V of Jehovah. Jehovah is essentially a Germanic pronunciation of the Latinized transliteration of the Hebrew YHWH. It is the letters of the tetragrammaton, Latinized into JHVH, with vowels inserted. “Yahweh” or “Yehowah” is far more likely to be the correct pronunciation.

https://www.gotquestions.org/Jehovah.html
'Jehovah' is said by the majority of biblical scholars and linguists to be an improper transliteration of YHWH. And that is the simple documented truth.
This is a good read: - https://slife.org/tetragrammaton/

Old 08-16-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
The scripture refers to the Holy Spirit as "He" not "it."

The scripture records the Holy Spirit speaking to the apostles, that He can be grieved, He can be lied to.

He has a mind, emotions and a will! Sounds like a person to me!
Where does it specifically say ‘he’?...

Old 08-16-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
Do you think He wants us to know all of them to be in His will?

Or is He happy with us proclaiming Him as the only God as He says?
I’m just pointing out...

Old 08-16-2021, 09:39 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,740,882 times
It is always amusing to me that the debates that raged in the Early Church about the nature of God have never really ended. The problem is quite simple: The Bible does not explain in meticulous detail what God the Father, God the Son and God the Spirit are, how they are connected, what they are like, etc.

The Catholic final say and exhaustive explanation on the nature of God/The Gods is The Athanasian Creed. The problem? None of what is claimed by that Creed is explicitly stated anywhere in scripture. Like every other formulation for the nature of God, the Athanasian Creed just tries to fill in the blanks for a topic where there are more blanks than anything else. The creed then proceeds to damn anyone daring to disagree. Cheerful, right?

What source might we look to if we would like to know the true nature of God? How about asking God himself to tell us what he is like?

Above all else, everyone should stop damning everyone to hell if they disagree on a nitpicky formulation detailing the nature of Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Old 08-16-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
I’m just pointing out...
I know, just wanted to see the perspective of a Jew concerning the situation.

Old 08-16-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Where does it specifically say ‘he’?...
John 16:7-8

"Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:"

There are more, would have to look them up though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity