Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2021, 01:16 PM

13,619 posts, read 7,932,752 times

Advertisements

I stumbled upon an essay today and as I was reading it, I was struck with how apropos it is to several threads here that have had active discussion recently. I also found it very inspirational.

The essay is entitled "The Lovely Dragon of Choice: The Freedom Not to Be Free" and it was written by Dr. Anthony Esolen, a college professor of classic literature. It's quite long, but well worth the read. Here's a link to the full essay:

The Lovely Dragon of Choice: The Freedom Not to Be Free

In a very broad summation of the topic of the essay, it mainly has to do with man's desire for control over his own choices in his life and his destiny which tend to limit his freedom to follow God.

Here are a few excerpts that I thought might stimulate some discussion:

"Modern man is afraid of the quest, and is not particularly fond of hunger and cliffs, either. He will not see that the very point of an adventure is that you cannot plan it. And to be in quest of the Holy Grail—that is, the mystery of Christ made manifest in our world under the humble appearances of bread and wine—is to be prepared for the appearance, sudden and awful, even on a bare rock and when one’s stomach knots with hunger of the ineffable God."

"I am not merely saying that there is a freedom higher and more blissful than the freedom to choose how one spends one’s money or where one buys a house or whom one marries. I assert that even regarding questions of money or dwelling or spouse or any earthly thing, there is a freedom that slays the freedom to choose. Call it the wisdom of tossing the choice away. Call it the hope not in choosing but in being chosen."

"Clever choosers do not fare well in Scripture. Genesis is a veritable epic of human misery caused by planners within the family: Rebekah and Jacob, Laban, Simeon and Levi at Shechem, all the brothers of Joseph together. Onan is the pettiest among them, Lot the most paradigmatic.

Abraham gives Lot, a man of middling goodness and middling courage, his choice of where to take his herds. It had been better for Lot had he seen that he owed everything to Abraham, had he thus rebuked his grumbling servants, and had he followed the old man whatever the inconvenience; for Lot chose Sodom (Gen. 13:7–11). Lot chose Sodom, and even as he leaves the condemned city, he has the nerve to ask the angel to give him yet another choice of dwelling, not a dangerous mountain but the little nearby town of Zoar (19:17–23).

By stark contrast, Abraham’s life was one of being chosen. What sane old man would choose to leave his clan among the Chaldees and trek a thousand miles across the wasteland to find—what? A mere earnest of a promise, a land that he himself would not possess, and descendants only one of whom he would ever see. And on that gray dawn at the foot of Moriah, as he dismissed his servants and began to climb the mountain with his son, Abraham must have slain the choice of his heart long before he raised the knife to slay Isaac."

"Scripture is full of the self-ensnaring choosers and plotters and determiners of the future...It is also full of wise fools to whom it is granted to see what no one else sees, and who choose to yield all choice up to what God promises, even when that appears foolish and impossible"

"...salvation lies in God’s choice and is a gift of his grace alone...

But it is also, I think, because some people have chosen never to be chosen. They have hooded themselves, have plugged up their ears. They are too busy, in the godlike disposing of their means and of their lives, to be put at God’s disposal. Many would cry out, 'Lord, Lord, we chose you!' What they did not do, what they thought it beneath their dignity to do, was let the Lord choose them."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2021, 01:57 PM

Mods please move this to the Christianity sub-forum

Old 08-13-2021, 02:07 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,027,347 times
I like the intellectual freedom to realize that we have no clue about the nature of God if such a being even exists. And knowing that this author, or your favorite priest or pastor, has no more clue than a random person on the street.

Occasionally I enjoy reading these arguments to see it I've somehow missed anything. So far, nope.

Old 08-13-2021, 02:40 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Mods please move this to the Christianity sub-forum
Done.

Old 08-13-2021, 05:45 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
I told God `if you are real then show yourself `` in my youth and quietly walked away ..... Still, people through My relatives got the prayer God needed that twenty-two years later God showed me He is indeed real. So I turned to God and will endure to the end with God ....... Then your title is confusion as the dragon is out of sync. With God as a spiritual enemy of God

Old 08-13-2021, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
I told God `if you are real then show yourself `` in my youth and quietly walked away ..... Still, people through My relatives got the prayer God needed that twenty-two years later God showed me He is indeed real. So I turned to God and will endure to the end with God ....... Then your title is confusion as the dragon is out of sync. With God as a spiritual enemy of God
I think you should read the essay.

The "dragon" is the deceptive seduction of the "freedom of choice" that we hold so dear and that deafens us to God's call.

Old 08-14-2021, 06:46 AM

614 posts, read 172,967 times
It makes you rethink Moses. Moses told God to get somebody else. He was so humble it even got God riled up for a second. I can really identify with not wanting to draw attention to myself, while, at the same time, so many are in prison. I wonder if one of Moses's greatest wishes wasn't to just be a normal guy? Do you suppose that someone who had the capacity to lead like that could ever just be a regular guy?

In that sense, isn't it really interesting the character of Jesus. He was infinitely patient. Even when He lost His patience, such that He advertised it, He actually still had things under control. He used the people's desire to seek Him because He had fed them to teach his disciples something about the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees. He warned them that it would sneak in sideways, if they paid too much attention to material things. He was really making a prophecy about the Church. He pretty much knew how bad the indulgences game was going to be, as well as the whole Jim Baker and his air conditioned dog house thing that so characterizes contemporary American Christianity. Oral Roberts and his three hundred foot Jesus. That sort of thing.

But so many charlatans never meant the love of God wasn't real. That's like saying that because there is so much stupidity around that, if stupidity were airplanes, this place would be an airport, means that there can't be such a thing as wisdom.

Last edited by Am I a Prophet; 08-14-2021 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: the writing process
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity