Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 07:57 AM

14,487 posts, read 20,671,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Really though, we have too little information. We don't know the person, the area, the different denominations, etc.
Maybe the person would be more effective avoiding denominations altogether, and focusing on people, all people, outside the walls, etc.
A cousin's son in upstate Georgia is Methodist and ordained not long ago. With the senior pastor being young his son wonders about his chances to become a senior pastor some day. He'd like to stay Methodist if he could but open to other denominations. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2021, 08:28 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
It also gets really creative on what it calls "denominations" labeling movements and other religions as "denominations".
Why don't you tell us all what the correct definition of "denomination" actually is. Most of us seem to agree that it's a distinct religious body within Christianity, identified by traits such as a name, organization and doctrine. How do you see that as inaccurate? You want an actual list of denominations? Go to List of Christian Denominations . No, I didn't count them.

Old 08-21-2021, 08:52 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Why don't you tell us all what the correct definition of "denomination" actually is. Most of us seem to agree that it's a distinct religious body within Christianity, identified by traits such as a name, organization and doctrine. How do you see that as inaccurate? You want an actual list of denominations? Go to List of Christian Denominations . No, I didn't count them.
I've said it many times if you'd care to listen that there are many excellent denominations. I've belonged to churches in several different ones over the years.

And no, that wikipedia page doesn't give a list of 41,000.

I'm just saying if one makes the claim, then one should be able to back it up. Yes, there are way too many. Many have split for the wrong reasons, others are legitimate. But the only way to get 41,000 denominations in this country is to play games with the definition of a denomination.

Old 08-21-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
A cousin's son in upstate Georgia is Methodist and ordained not long ago. With the senior pastor being young his son wonders about his chances to become a senior pastor some day. He'd like to stay Methodist if he could but open to other denominations. Thanks.
There are a few different Methodist denominations...he may be able to transfer to another.

Or, I've known a few Methodist pastors over the years in small towns that tend to move around a lot. I think the UMC tends to move them every 4 years. He may be able to move around within his denomination.

Old 08-21-2021, 08:58 AM

16,679 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
I've said it many times if you'd care to listen that there are many excellent denominations. I've belonged to churches in several different ones over the years.

I'm just saying if one makes the claim, then one should be able to back it up. Yes, there are way too many. Many have split for the wrong reasons, others are legitimate. But the only way to get 41,000 denominations in this country is to play games with the definition of a denomination.
Well, you said "that wikipedia page doesn't give a list of 41,000." How many does that list contain?

I'm not counting the list, but it looks like it contains many thousands of entries.

Old 08-21-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Well, you said "that wikipedia page doesn't give a list of 41,000." How many does that list contain?

I'm not counting the list, but it looks like it contains many thousands of entries.
Count them. Let me know if you believe I'm wrong.

Old 08-21-2021, 09:00 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:

So, now we're limited to this country? LMAO

Old 08-21-2021, 09:31 AM

16,679 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
Nope. You count them. You seem obsessed with the fact that the various lists of denominations aren't numbered. I'm not. I've seen lists that say there are 33,000, 41,000, 45,000 and several other figures. I'm quite confident that there are at least 30,000, based on the fact that several different sources say their lists have more than that.

All you have said is that there is not numbered list. You have not ever offered any evidence that the numbers are wrong.

I'm not wasting my time counting the list. You'd probably just dispute the count anyway.

Old 08-21-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Nobody said there were 41,000 in this country. The point is, when you name all of the denominations you typically think of (i.e. Catholic, Lutheran, Baptist, Methodist, Eastern Orthodox, Presbyterian, Episcopal, etc.) you haven't even gotten past the tip of the iceberg. What difference does it make if there are 2,000 or 41,000? The point is the same: Christianity is HIGHLY FRAGMENTED.

Old 08-21-2021, 02:02 PM

Quote:
You'd have to count them to be able to dispute the number. Are you willing to do that just to make a point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity