Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 07:21 PM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times

Advertisements

I started a prayer group with friends who live in distant areas during Covid and it has really helped me on a lot of different levels. We've prayed about all sorts of things, from personal health of people in the group to larger social and political issues. We usually do it for about an hour a week. I also have a friend I pray with a few additional times a week just over the phone.

We do this using free conference software, although zoom would work, too.

https://www.freeconferencecall.com/

We found a group of about 5 people works pretty well.

For a non church going Christian, this group has really worked well for me. I encourage others to do the same, especially if you can't find like minded people in your local area but maybe have friends and family at a distance.

If anyone has any other tips on such matters or belongs to a large phone prayer group, please let me know your experience.

I really feel like the world needs our prayers most urgently so I'd encourage people to do this with faith!

I think small groups are a good way to go as it's a little more intimate and off the radar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2021, 09:21 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,846,500 times
I simply take the time to pray for things every night without having other people involved.

Every Friday I come across 1 Timothy 2 and 3 in my reading schedule; and I take the opportunity to pray for our government.

The things that I normally pray for will have to remain undisclosed, since there is a kind of censorship that has gone on in recent days concerning certain political points of view that I hold.

But God hears my prayers and the conviction that He will send on those who hold opposing political points of view, and who are executing the censorship, will avail whether or not the voice is heard of people who hold the same kinds of political points of view that I hold.

There is also going to be a reckoning concerning this.

Last edited by justbyfaith; 08-22-2021 at 09:44 PM..

Old 08-23-2021, 07:18 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
I was for a time. A group of women. Enjoyed it. They met virtually recently, but I was unable to attend.

I also used to attend Centering Prayer weekly through my church. Centering Prayer is based on the thought that the first language of God is silence. We invite God in and sit in silence for a period of time, letting the thoughts that pass through our minds go. It takes practice and no one ever really achieves it for the entire period, but it doesn't matter.

Old 08-23-2021, 09:00 AM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Default Anyone Else in a Prayer Group?

There has been a significant drop in participation in the R&S fora so I do not know if they still participate, but there are really sincere prayer warriors on CD. I and my friends and family IRL are an extended prayer group that expanded when my wife was fighting colon cancer. We added those she met in Chemo. We include the participants on CD. We pray at 2:00 pm DST/EST wherever we may be. Feel free to join and pray at that time every day if you remember.

Old 08-23-2021, 09:12 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was for a time. A group of women. Enjoyed it. They met virtually recently, but I was unable to attend.

I also used to attend Centering Prayer weekly through my church. Centering Prayer is based on the thought that the first language of God is silence. We invite God in and sit in silence for a period of time, letting the thoughts that pass through our minds go. It takes practice and no one ever really achieves it for the entire period, but it doesn't matter.
I would love to find a group like that.

Old 08-23-2021, 09:15 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There has been a significant drop in participation in the R&S fora so I do not know if they still participate, but there are really sincere prayer warriors on CD. I and my friends and family IRL are an extended prayer group that expanded when my wife was fighting colon cancer. We added those she met in Chemo. We include the participants on CD. We pray at 2:00 pm DST/EST wherever we may be. Feel free to join and pray at that time every day if you remember.
I will set an alarm and maybe just do the centering prayer MQ suggested. Is it for a specified duration of time?

Old 08-23-2021, 09:42 AM

20,443 posts, read 12,801,153 times
I’ve led a Bible study group for about 12 years. We’re a group of about 20 middle-ages adults. We spend a significant amount of time each week in prayer for our group members, our church and our nation/world.

Old 08-23-2021, 09:47 AM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I will set an alarm and maybe just do the centering prayer MQ suggested. Is it for a specified duration of time?
Yes to accommodate individual differences and circumstances. We designate a 15-minute interval for meditation, centering, or whatever fits the time available to the person. I usually use the entire 15 minutes.

Old 08-23-2021, 09:58 AM

25,461 posts, read 9,821,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Sounds love, MQ.

Old 08-23-2021, 12:09 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I would love to find a group like that.
Check if there is an Episcopal Church near you that practices it. However, it actually comes from the Contemplative Christianity movement, which I think is Catholic. Google Richard Rohr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity