Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 06:01 PM

4,483 posts, read 1,324,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
Regardless of how they present themselves the bottom line is that they are liberal Christians.

I have conversed with many of them and issues concerning politics will rise in conversation.

You will not agree with them most of the time, Mike, being a Catholic!
For example, they are pro-choice! I know as a Catholic you would be butting heads with them just as I did most of the time. The list goes on and on that I know you would not agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2021, 07:39 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
Regardless of how they present themselves the bottom line is that they are liberal Christians.

I have conversed with many of them and issues concerning politics will rise in conversation.

You will not agree with them most of the time, Mike, being a Catholic!
You're right, Charlie. I'm not at all a fan of "progressive Christianity". I was merely attempting to give the OP an objective answer, leaving my own opinions aside

Old 08-25-2021, 07:46 PM

4,483 posts, read 1,324,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
You're right, Charlie. I'm not at all a fan of "progressive Christianity". I was merely attempting to give the OP an objective answer, leaving my own opinions aside
This is something we have in common, and many other things, Mike!

Old 08-25-2021, 08:20 PM

45,588 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
^ Is that all you can do, spit out verses? Is there anything registering inside you... mentally, spiritually, etc? Robots and computers can relay and dictate scriptures. Doesn't take a brain or a soul to do that.
Progressive Christianity seems pretty intolerant and harsh... just like progressive secularists.

Lighten up...

Old 08-25-2021, 08:34 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
Jer 6:15, Were they ashamed when they had committed abomination? nay, they were not at all ashamed, neither could they blush: therefore they shall fall among them that fall: at the time that I visit them they shall be cast down, saith the LORD.
Jer 6:16, Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.
Jer 6:17, Also I set watchmen over you, saying, Hearken to the sound of the trumpet. But they said, We will not hearken.
Get your head and heart out of the OT and listen to the Comforter within. We are NOT our savage ancestors!

Old 08-25-2021, 10:46 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,847,256 times
Quote:
^ Is that all you can do, spit out verses? Is there anything registering inside you... mentally, spiritually, etc? Robots and computers can relay and dictate scriptures. Doesn't take a brain or a soul to do that.
It is what I do.

The Bible is the sword that we use against the enemy and of course the devil would love it if we didn't or couldn't use it against him.

Rom 10:8, But what saith <the righteousness of faith>? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

Old 08-25-2021, 11:31 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times
Quote:
That term - regardless of the motivations and slanderings - would have to mean Christianity that doesn't want to just sit around and stay with the old and the familiar [You have your Bible, your sermons, your furniture-like church institutions, but those are rooted in the past, and much of the dead and gone]. "Progressive" would have to deal with the now and future. I.e. not stagnating, but rather moving forward, and making Christianity relevant and useful in the time frame and period we have before us. Applying it to the hear and now, not yesterday - with it's different views and dated ways.

None of it means that the heart of Christianity - as so clearly detailed in the Gospels - changes in any ways. It's more of an abandonment of what we really don't need: such as religion and churchy formality, which dates and ages and grows ineffectual.

And no, there's nothing political with this. It transcends the stupidity of politics.
Yes, I agree to a certain extent - but I’m not so sure that all progressives are necessarily on the right track - it depends what they are progressive about

There have been progressives, fundamentalists, liberals, etc in each “generation” over the 2000 years but just because something is traditional doesn’t mean it’s necessarily bad and just because something is new doesn’t mean it’s necessarily good

Hence this instruction to the scribes

New and Old Treasures
Mat 13:51**Jesus saith unto them, Have ye understood all these things? They say unto him, Yea, Lord.
Mat 13:52**Then said he unto them, Therefore every scribe which is instructed unto the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which bringeth forth out of his treasure things new and old.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Get your head and heart out of the OT and listen to the Comforter within. We are NOT our savage ancestors!
Yes...apparently we have evolved as human beings so that such verses as Jeremiah 17:9, Matthew 7:11, and Luke 11:13 no longer apply to us.

Old 08-26-2021, 09:19 AM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
Yes...apparently we have evolved as human beings so that such verses as Jeremiah 17:9, Matthew 7:11, and Luke 11:13 no longer apply to us.
Jeremiah does not apply to us but Matthew 7:11, and Luke 11:13 do. Why do you think they relate. God has "written in our hearts" His Truth and we have the Comforter (Holy Spirit) to guide us to it. Our savage ancestors did not!

Old 08-26-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Jeremiah does not apply to us but Matthew 7:11, and Luke 11:13 do. Why do you think they relate. God has "written in our hearts" His Truth and we have the Comforter (Holy Spirit) to guide us to it. Our savage ancestors did not!
In those passages, Jesus addressed His audience as being evil.

Only those who have received Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour have regenerated hearts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity