Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2021, 08:43 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My reason is simple. I really like the priest as a person, but his sermons are annoying and I can't relate to them.
Have you considered finding a new church? Or maybe considered that his sermons are not the only reason to go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2021, 10:32 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Have you considered finding a new church? Or maybe considered that his sermons are not the only reason to go?
Yes and yes. I have another church I would likely go to. I hesitate because I've been a supporter of my little church for about ten years, and I would feel as if I am abandoning them. I don't dislike the priest. He is a very nice person, although a little too Catholicky for my personal taste (and he did start out as a Catholic priest in Ireland, but the last priest we had, who was wonderful and relatable, started out as a Catholic priest in Italy. It's pretty common to find former Catholic priests in Episcopal churches, often because they chose to marry.)

But I cannot relate to people who say things like "We think/do thus and so when really we should be thinking/doing ABC" when I don't at all think or do what he is saying "We" think and do." He was blessed with the standard happy life of a spouse and children and now grandchildren, etc., with very little trouble, it seems, and some of us who weren't handed all the standard goodies of life just cannot relate to him. Not his fault, obviously.

For me, the main event of the church service is not the sermon, but the Eucharist. That is spiritual above and beyond anything else, so no, sermons are not the only reason.

It's a moot point at this time anyway, since I am away from home for an indeterminate amount of time. I am still in touch with people of the parish, however. I do have friends there.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-04-2021 at 10:43 AM..

Old 09-04-2021, 10:34 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:

For me, the main event of the church service is not the sermon, but the Eucharist. That is spiritual above and beyond anything else, so no, sermons are not the only reason.
As a former Catholic kid, I recognize that. Any Catholic churchman would say that. That was why I suggested that perhaps the sermon is secondary.
Quote:
It's a moot point at this time anyway, since I am away from home for an indeterminate amount of time. I am still in touch with people of the parish, however. I do have friends there.
So have you found a church where you are now?

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-04-2021 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: My error

Old 09-04-2021, 02:28 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
As a former Catholic kid, I recognize that. Any Catholic churchman would say that. That was why I suggested that perhaps the sermon is secondary.

So have you found a church where you are now?
No. That's not possible at this time for reasons I won't go into. I can, however, attend my old church via Zoom. They have opened, but they are still holding remote services during the live one.

Old 09-05-2021, 12:06 PM

14,485 posts, read 20,671,714 times
Quote:
My reason is simple. I really like the priest as a person, but his sermons are annoying and I can't relate to them.
Sermon is a key word. Our new pastor creates titles for his sermons and uses his imagination. A few have amusing titles. Here are three from the last several months.
a. Do you smell?
b. Do you still live with your mama?
c. The inevitable Christian disease is covid.

Old 09-07-2021, 05:39 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,008,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Google search brings up stay at home moms, stay at home single dads and other's related to covid. Stay at home is getting the covid results.

Give us an easy to understand definition: What is a stay at home Christian. Sure it's a Christian who stays home since millions of pastors have told the world that you don't get to heaven by going to church. This may be why the % of the world population that is Christian is falling. I think it's around 39% this year.

Putting aside "you don't get to heaven by going to church"
we'd like a more easy to understand biblical or other reference to the term "stay as home Christian." Thanks.

From the time we became His covenanted people Howard, Jehovah has congregated His people. Under the new covenant, we have been commanded to congregate. With the outbreak of the pandemic, we are congregating differently, our meetings are now held via zoom, and we encourage others by letters, phone calls, some even visit. It is a very real disease that affects Christians as well sir, so out of love for our brothers and sisters, Jehovah feeds us differently now. In a way it is quite amazing, I am still impressed that when the stuff hit the fan, that we have not had to miss one meeting.

Old 09-08-2021, 09:02 PM

8,181 posts, read 6,933,064 times
If I went to a building church, I would end up not feeling like myself. If I don't feel like myself, then I feel like I'm in a disguise. If I feel like I'm in a disguise and I am not myself, then I cannot properly connect to God. Simple as that. It would be completely pointless for me. Because if I cannot connect.....I wouldn't be able to connect to other people. It would be a big waste of time. And too many people are too concerned with outer appearances. I prefer the inner worlds. And connect to other people while they are actively, comfortably existing within THEIR inner worlds. It's more true. It's more real. It's easier to connect.

Old 09-10-2021, 09:07 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
If I went to a building church, I would end up not feeling like myself. If I don't feel like myself, then I feel like I'm in a disguise. If I feel like I'm in a disguise and I am not myself, then I cannot properly connect to God. Simple as that. It would be completely pointless for me. Because if I cannot connect.....I wouldn't be able to connect to other people. It would be a big waste of time. And too many people are too concerned with outer appearances. I prefer the inner worlds. And connect to other people while they are actively, comfortably existing within THEIR inner worlds. It's more true. It's more real. It's easier to connect.

Old 09-10-2021, 09:16 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,801,153 times
Worshipping and serving God with other Christians makes me a better servant of God. “As iron sharpens iron…”.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:18 PM

8,181 posts, read 6,933,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Thank you for that.
I appreciate it. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity