Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 05:54 AM

4,483 posts, read 1,345,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
So you equate this Longinus to the them Jesus forgave. Was he the one who crucified Jesus?

Charlie do you only forgive people for their sins against you after they come to you and beg your forgiveness?
I do my part as commanded by Christ to forgive my trespassers! It is their responsibility to repent of their own trespasses before God to be forgiven. They cannot be forgiven if they see no wrong in what they have done. The same applies to me as a Christian.

Matt. 6:14

"For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:"

The Father will not forgive them just because you have forgiven them, they must repent or that sin is held against them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2021, 06:18 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,425,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
I do my part as commanded by Christ to forgive my trespassers! It is their responsibility to repent of their own trespasses before God to be forgiven. They cannot be forgiven if they see no wrong in what they have done. The same applies to me as a Christian.

Matt. 6:14

"For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:"

The Father will not forgive them just because you have forgiven them, they must repent or that sin is held against them!
better reread that scripture you just posted.

Old 09-13-2021, 06:35 AM

4,483 posts, read 1,345,543 times
Quote:
better reread that scripture you just posted.
I think I'm happy with my read, but thanks!

Old 09-13-2021, 07:59 AM

13,841 posts, read 8,122,147 times
Quote:
he forgave them without them being contrite
Ok, but that's not how it works.

What do you think would happen if mankind got its hands on God again?

You would have Christ be crucified over and over?

If a man is not contrite, how can he be reconciled to God?

"...the will of the damned is obstinate in evil. Hence, he continues to love his sin at the same time that he submits to its punishment. How, then, can God deliver him from his chastisement, while he continues to love his fault? How can God pardon his sin, while the damned is hardened in his hatred for God, if at the same time the Lord offered him pardon and friendship, the damned refused both the one and the other?" ~ St. Alphonsus Ligouri

Last edited by EscAlaMike; 09-13-2021 at 08:17 AM..

Old 09-13-2021, 10:21 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,474,099 times
Luke 10:25-28
A lawyer stood up to put him to the test, saying, "Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?" He said to him, "What is written in the Law? How do you read it?" And he answered, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself." And he said to him, "You have answered correctly; do this, and you will live."

Old 09-13-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Luke 10:25-28
A lawyer stood up to put him to the test, saying, "Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?" He said to him, "What is written in the Law? How do you read it?" And he answered, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself." And he said to him, "You have answered correctly; do this, and you will live."
Who can do that apart from supernatural aid? How many do it even with supernatural aid?

Old 09-13-2021, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Who can do that apart from supernatural aid? How many do it even with supernatural aid?
Very few that are religious. Although, I do know many, who are not religious.
(Love all, trust few, and do not harm anyone; if given a choice.)

Old 09-13-2021, 02:11 PM

Quote:
You know many people who literally live perfect lives?

Jesus didn't say "love all, trust few, and do not harm anyone".

He said "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself."

Did you miss the absolute qualifier there (all)?

Old 09-13-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:

He said "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself."

Nowhere is there a command to trust all. And I am not Roman Catholic by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 09-13-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Nowhere is there a command to trust all.
"all" being an absolute qualifier as in "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself."

You know "many people" who do that? How would you even know since you can't know a person's heart?

Quote:
And I am not Roman Catholic by any stretch of the imagination.
I'm aware. I didn't mention anything at all about Roman Catholicism or Catholic doctrine. Where did that come from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity