Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 04:56 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,008,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
So what I’m getting from this thread is that Marcie from Peanuts grew up and became a JW?

Perhaps, I am unsure Mike. It is impossible for us to know all of our brothers and sisters personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2021, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What I am getting from this thread is that highway54 is adamantly refusing to accept the rules of this forum and is making a fairly strong show of it even in the face of moderator warnings. Perhaps he feels he will repair his disfellowship by getting banned from this forum. He is posting quite obsessively.

Perhaps you might reveal what rule I am breaking Doc, oh I see, know why you are unable to do that? Because I do not, unless of course talking about Jehovah is against the rules here, is it?

Old 10-09-2021, 09:08 AM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
Perhaps you might reveal what rule I am breaking Doc, oh I see, know why you are unable to do that? Because I do not, unless of course talking about Jehovah is against the rules here, is it?
You cannot proclaim that only those who are Jehovah's Witnesses worship the Christian God. In this forum, all avowed Christians worship the SAME God, no matter what they THINK they are doing. Claiming otherwise is verboten here.

Old 10-10-2021, 05:14 AM

Quote:
You cannot proclaim that only those who are Jehovah's Witnesses worship the Christian God. In this forum, all avowed Christians worship the SAME God, no matter what they THINK they are doing. Claiming otherwise is verboten here.

You cannot proclaim that Jehovah's witnesses do not worship Jehovah here sir, that is forbidden against the rules, take your propaganda elsewhere.

Old 10-10-2021, 09:05 AM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
You cannot proclaim that Jehovah's witnesses do not worship Jehovah here sir, that is forbidden against the rules, take your propaganda elsewhere.
Jehovah's Witnesses consider themselves Christian, do they not?? Then they, like all here in this forum, worship the same God all other Christians worship. Any attempt to say otherwise is prohibited in this forum, so post your objections in the R&S forum.

Old 10-10-2021, 09:44 AM

1,161 posts, read 467,355 times
Quote:
This illustrates the slightly schizophrenic nature of the terms of service. As I understand the TOS, I am prohibited from saying, to you or highway54 or anyone else, "Well, you're simply not a Christian" even though I may firmly believe this.

By your interpretation, the TOS would prohibit Jehovah's Witnesses or anyone else from so much as describing the core doctrines of their denomination. The "one true church" notion applies to one degree or another throughout Christianity, yet Jehovah's Witnesses are consistently singled out here for criticism and ridicule. Their beliefs are nowhere near as bizarre as Certain Churches I Could Mention, but they seem to be fair game for attack here.

The JW are actually pretty careful about saying that other Christian denominations don't worship the Christian God. This is more frequently said about the JW because they don't worship Jesus as part of a Trinity.

Playing the "TOS card" in these circumstances strikes me as pretty small. Actually, I just went through all of highway54's posts in this thread and don't see that he's said anything even close to violating the TOS. Quite the contrary.

Old 10-10-2021, 09:55 AM

2,673 posts, read 2,237,467 times
[quote=Nabors;61931113]Topic 1: Do you think LDS is another denomination of Christianity? I ask because I'm not a member, but I have been investigating them and their beliefs for a while. Do you have any knowledge that might help me?

The LDS is based partially on Biblical texts, like Islam. But like Islam, it is more appropriately defined as a separate religion. Especially since they view all other Christian faiths as apostate and not really Christian. Thus, they build the wall of separation themselves.

Topic 2: I believe that Jesus Christ is the Only Begotten Son of God the Father, Do you? Also I feel very strongly that GOD is shirt for God The Father and Jesus Christ are two separate beings do you?

The Bible makes this relationship clear. Denominationalism makes it confusing.

Topic 3: The currency of the United States of America is backed by In GOD We Trust. I find this interesting, because non believers use it all the time and it ranks the best on Earth... What do you think would happen if we added In Jesus Christ We Trust, to our currency?

It isn't true, so why do it? I would think God finds that idea about as anathema as the prayers of hypocrites are.

Old 10-10-2021, 10:07 AM

3,430 posts, read 1,845,129 times
Quote:
Jehovah's Witnesses consider themselves Christian, do they not?? Then they, like all here in this forum, worship the same God all other Christians worship. Any attempt to say otherwise is prohibited in this forum, so post your objections in the R&S forum.
Jehovah's Witnesses have the Bible pretty screwed up; They are more like a cult than a religion.

The most telling sign of a Jehovah's Witness is the belief in "Spiritual Israel," also the 144,000:
Quote:
Jehovah's Witnesses believe that exactly 144,000 faithful Christians from Pentecost of 33 AD until the present day will be resurrected to heaven as immortal spirit beings to spend eternity with God and Christ. They believe that these people are "anointed" by God to become part of the spiritual "Israel of God".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/144,00...%20of%20God%22.

Jehovah's Witnesses (the religion) are the ones that would come on Sunday mornings, mark the curb, and want to "talk to you about the Bible." This is why it is so important that we really know our Bible.

This has nothing to do with the fact that Jehovah IS a term used for God in the Old Testament, along with several other titles, and giveth us terms like Jehovah-Jireh, Jehovah-Rapha (the God who heals,) ... and I am not sure Jehovah's Witnesses believe that Jesus fulfilled the promises of the Old Testament, and gave us a new Covenant.

I once heard a Jehovah's Witness tell me, "If we all have one Father, then we all have one Grandfather." What?

I also left a church when it became pretty clear it was a Jehovah's Witness style front, pretty slick. No water baptism, speaking in tongues.. I did not see "Slain in the Spirit" but I'm encompassing too broad topics to continue.

I have no idea what is transpiring between MysticPhD and highway54, but based on one of the posts I saw, it would *appear* (side note: I am not a Mod, not claiming to be, and will fall off commenting after this) that MysticPhD is correct, posting things in a normal fashion, and highway54 is attempting to insert Jehovah's Witness style half-truths or misrepresentations of the Word into the thread. Again, I do not KNOW that, but just based on some of the back-and-forth, that is my read.

I will now continue reading the thread.

We can all talk here, as far as I know.

Now, back on track...

Old 10-10-2021, 10:11 AM

I saw a mention of the LDS as I read from the last page, and go backwards.

I am rusty on some things, Isn't The Church of LDS what we used to call "Mormons?"

This, also, different than the Seventh-Day Adventists.

Old 10-10-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Hmmm. I've always thought there was only one God that Christians worshipped. Which others were your thinking of?
That is a darn good question, I would just again assert that we believe in the Triune God.

The Nicene Creed comes to mind here: (I have committed it to memory but here in the Internet age, I will cut and paste)

Quote:
NICENE CREED (Professed at Sunday Mass)

We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, of all that is seen and
unseen.

We believe in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father; God from
God, Light from Light, true God from true God; begotten not made, one in being with the Father.
Through Him all things were made. For us men and for our salvation He came down from heaven. By the power of the Holy Spirit He was born of the Virgin Mary and became man. For our sake He was
crucified under Pontius Pilate. He suffered, died, and was buried. On the third day He rose again, in
fulfillment of the Scriptures. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father.

He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and His kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Giver of life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son.
With the Father and the Son He is worshipped and glorified. He has spoken through the prophets.

We believe in one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church. We acknowledge one baptism for the
forgiveness of sins. We look for the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come. Amen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity