Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 03:22 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,342,342 times

Advertisements

I've heard this phrase before, and I've been having some interesting thoughts about this too. I'm posting this to see what some of your views are it. In other words, what does it mean to you? I will post a follow up response (in thread)after a while, either this evening or tomorrow morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 03:44 PM

419 posts, read 434,839 times
I would suggest it means that the Word of Faith movement is a heresy.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:40 PM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
Jesus said in Matthew 6: 8..``Your Father knows what things you need of before you ask Him``.....In Psalms 23: 1...says ...``The Lord is my Shepherd ; I shall not want``..... There are many people who can fill their home with Things that they wanted and still have many thing that they need go still unfulfilled, as this is the ways of they world ..... As the Lord want to give you the things that you need as these are still the desires of the heart and through God perfect will He can bring you the things that you need , God can still bring the things that you want , But this things must have a purpose for God plan that you have these things ........Still in Philippians 4: 19....Apostle Paul blesses the Philippians Church with the Charity they gave through Jesus with , ``But my God will supply all your need according to the riches in glory by Christ Jesus ..``

Old 09-21-2012, 01:56 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,342,342 times
One way I look at it is that if God has given us everything we "wanted" we wouldn't really grow in the spirit which is what God truly wants for us. Another interesting thing to consider is the idea that we truly don't know what we really want. (Even though we may think we do)

Hljc, you really hit it on the head. If God did give me what I "wanted", God would have a purpose for it.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:24 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,047 times
Amen Praise the Lord! What we want might not be all that good for us. He knows us better than we know ourselves. It's best to just submit to God and meditate on all the blessings he has given us in our life.

If we have a "thorn in the flesh" so to speak like Paul, than Praise God! It's keeping us in line. God wants only the best for his children, and he knows what's best even if we don't.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:14 PM

473 posts, read 821,617 times
I've heard of people praying for such important things, like a Rolex or a sports car. Not really things we need. God doesn't cater to the things that we want. He increases our obedience, faith and trust in Him. These are the things we need. God always answers prayers, but, He increases our strength--if we've been given a windfall (money,etc) I think that these things are tests to see if we'll only keep what we need and distribute the remainder. The more we can be trusted to do His work--the greater the increase. This includes wisdom, understanding, wealth, health, and responsibility to Him.
Yeshua Bless You

Old 09-21-2012, 06:04 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.

For the LORD God is a sun and a shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:34 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,529,823 times
James 4:3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:00 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
James 4:3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.
When you delight yourself in The Lord you don't ask amiss.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:03 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
I've heard this phrase before, and I've been having some interesting thoughts about this too. I'm posting this to see what some of your views are it. In other words, what does it mean to you? I will post a follow up response (in thread)after a while, either this evening or tomorrow morning.
Actually that's not true at all. At least in my case. I've gotten exactly what I wanted. Ever since I moved out of my parents house (which was last year), I have been on a spiritual journey with God. I have always relied on faith and prayer in the past to get myself and my family out of the MANY troubles we were always in. And God always delivered. But when I moved out, God really showed me new things and took me on a path of learning how to apply faith in EVERYTHING I did. I relied on faith and prayer to receive almost everything I wanted up until this point since then. Including moving out. And I say "almost everything" because I'm still trying to figure out what I haven't gotten that I prayed for. God says in the Bible delight yourself in him and he will give you the desires of your heart. He also says in Matthews 21:22 "If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer". And that is exactly what happened!

BUT - he also taught me several other things that will help in different ways in my life. Specifically financially. I say that because I asked him in prayer that I wanted to avoid all the financial problems my family has gone through in the past and that I wanted to be better than that and that I wanted to even become wealthy. I asked him to show me how to accomplish this. And boy did I get what I asked for. I got a wealth on knowledge from various sources on how to become exactly that. And I know I will be eventually. But two very important aspects that I learned from all the information that I read about that EVERY Christian needs to know and put into practice RIGHT NOW is tithing & spoken word affirmations. Two things the rich have learned well and profited from.

For Christians to have a financially prosperous life, give 10% (or more) of your gross income to the church tithe, and speak positive affirmations over your finances. The power of life and death is in the tongue. God revealed to me that the spoken word is very powerful and very real. Every time you speak aloud about how "poor" you are, you are reinforcing that to the universe and the universe is arranging things to happen in your life to keep you that way. You must must must speak prosperity over your life. And you must must must tithe! I can't stress that enough. I was blessed MAJORLY from doing these two things and I get what I want and pray for all the time in addition to being protected from demonic forces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity