Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 08:05 PM

1,161 posts, read 467,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Okay, so yours are true and those that differ from yours are false. Got it.
Those that differ from the orthodox Christian gospel are false.

"But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed!" Galatians 1:8.

"Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God." 1 John 4.

"Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light." 2 Corinthians 11:14.

I don't gauge others' experiences by whether they conform to mine but whether they conform to the Gospel.

Old 10-05-2021, 08:08 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkle Berserkle View Post
Those that differ from the orthodox Christian gospel are false.

"But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed!" Galatians 1:8.

"Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God." 1 John 4.

"Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light." 2 Corinthians 11:14.

I don't gauge others' experiences by whether they conform to mine but whether they conform to the Gospel.
Strange how what's orthodox to one person is heresy to another, huh? But then it's always been the winners who write the history.

Old 10-05-2021, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Strange how what's orthodox to one person is heresy to another, huh? But then it's always been the winners who write the history.
Joseph Smith's First Vision - ostensibly of the Father and Jesus - in his own words. He had sought guidance as to which of the existing understandings of Christianity was correct:
I was answered that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were all corrupt; that: “they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof.”

He again forbade me to join with any of them; and many other things did he say unto me, which I cannot write at this time. When I came to myself again, I found myself lying on my back, looking up into heaven.
Yep, bit of a problem with that epiphany.

Insofar as the core Gospel is concerned, I don't think there are too many histories. This is why the Orthodox accept the baptisms of Catholics and most Protestants. This why the Catholics accept the baptisms of Orthodox and most Protestants.

It's not a question of winning or losing but of faithfulness to the Gospel.

This thread was supposed to be about the distinction between Christian faith and worldly reasoning, but there you go. In five more posts, it'll be about this week's Cowboys game. Par for the course.

Old 10-05-2021, 09:11 PM

Quote:
This thread was supposed to be about the distinction between Christian faith and worldly reasoning, but there you go. In five more posts, it'll be about this week's Cowboys game. Par for the course.
Well, congratulations! You can now take credit for hijacking your own thread. All I did was ask a couple of general questions. You're the one who felt you had to bring Mormonism into it, pal. Yup, about par for the course, as you said.

Old 10-05-2021, 09:28 PM

Quote:
The only real problem I see with this is that you seem to feel that only your epiphany has any legitimacy. Anyone who has a spiritual experience that leads them to a different conclusion than yours led you to is simply full of it, in your opinion. How close am I to being right about that?
Quote:
Okay, so yours are true and those that differ from yours are false. Got it.
Ah, so you weren't referring to Mormonism in your snarky little comments. eh? Oh, no, not you.

As you might say: Uh-huh.

Old 10-05-2021, 09:39 PM

You know what, Irkle? You need to grow up.

For your information, a great many people have had spiritual epiphanies, and many of them don't even remotely resemble yours. Perhaps some of them will weigh in on this conversation. I was talking about any perspective that is different from yours, not just mine. Ask Mystic about his experience and then tell me how valid you think it was.

Old 10-05-2021, 09:46 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times
I really don’t see the point in this thread - especially as it has no question attached to it

Old 10-08-2021, 12:23 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
I don't believe Christians are foolish, but find extreme fundamentalism absurd.

Old 10-08-2021, 07:59 AM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I don't believe Christians are foolish, but find extreme fundamentalism absurd.

Old 10-08-2021, 10:36 AM

11,102 posts, read 7,174,871 times
Quote:
Even though this thread is in the Christianity forum, it’s really aimed at those who see Christianity as utter nonsense and can’t fathom how anyone could believe it.
If you don't want to consider any of this, or give a reasonable chance of understanding it, quit wasting time here. Post in the atheism subforum. One of the forum rules here often repeated is to not dispute Christianity within the Christianity subforum.

If you wanted to truly understand rainforests, you'd have to get out into them, sense them, and experience them directly. You'd never fully understand them by having someone talk about them, or even reading about them.

The burden is on you to seek and find proof within yourself. No one can prove anything to you. Either get that together or be quiet.

Trying to understand something - but bypassing the most useful way and the only complete way - is foolishness, so take a good look in the mirror.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 10-08-2021 at 11:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity