Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 01:42 PM

1,161 posts, read 467,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
If you don't want to consider any of this, or give a reasonable chance of understanding it, quit wasting time here.
Any of what? I don't see how your statement is related to the portion of my original post that you quoted.

Quote:
Post in the atheism subforum.
I do, probably more than any other Christian poster. Had I started this thread in the A&A forum, however, it would have immediately been deleted as Christian proselytizing.

Quote:
One of the forum rules here often repeated is to not dispute Christianity within the Christianity subforum.
Who, pray tell, is disputing Christianity?

The resident proselytizing Mormon chimed in with a series of snarky posts irrelevant to anything I had said in my original post. I pointed out that not all ostensibly Christian epiphanies are what they appear to be and that the Bible itself underscores this point. The epiphany of Joseph Smith, in which the Father and Jesus reportedly informed him that all existing creeds were "abominations," is just a bit biblically problematical. If you think otherwise, please educate me.

I don't say anyone isn't a Christian, either ontologhically or for purposes of these forums. God will decide who was a Christian. At the fringes, I simply say "If that's Christianity, then I believe the term is devoid of all meaning."
Quote:
If you wanted to truly understand rainforests, you'd have to get out into them, sense them, and experience them directly. You'd never fully understand them by having someone talk about them, or even reading about them.

The burden is on you to seek and find proof within yourself. No one can prove anything to you. Either get that together or be quiet.

Trying to understand something - but bypassing the most useful way and the only complete way - is foolishness, so take a good look in the mirror.
That's actually a fair summation of my original post. Did you even read it? (Oh, wait, aren't you the poster with selective Attention Deficit Disorder, who comments on my posts while insisting they are too long for you to read?)

BTW, I happen to have read every word your namesake ever wrote, including the voluminous journals and letters. Henry David Thoreau happens to have been one of my serious interests for decades. To paraphrase Lloyd Bentsen's famous exchange with Dan Quayle: "I know Thoreau - and you, sir, are no Thoreau."

Old 10-08-2021, 02:40 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,171,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkle Berserkle View Post
BTW, I happen to have read every word your namesake ever wrote, including the voluminous journals and letters. Henry David Thoreau happens to have been one of my serious interests for decades. To paraphrase Lloyd Bentsen's famous exchange with Dan Quayle: "I know Thoreau - and you, sir, are no Thoreau."
You love to chase after assumptions. My ID name has nothing to do with HD Thoreau of Massachusetts.

Old 10-08-2021, 03:15 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,879,375 times
Thread closed for Moderator review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity