Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 10:28 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,263,470 times

Advertisements

If you’ve watched “The Chosen,” what were your thoughts about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2021, 10:32 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
I've heard great things about it. I admit to being a bit skeptical, as I've heard there is quite a bit of stuff added to it for character development, etc. My understanding is they do a good job of staying true to Scripture in the areas where Scripture speaks of something in the show.

I've also heard that the main writer is LDS, and has stated that the Bible Jesus and the Mormon Jesus are the same person. Nothing against members of the LDS church, but I cannot give my endorsement to a show if the main writer has those views. Again, this is not an attack on Mormons, as every single one I've ever met has been a really nice person.

Old 10-26-2021, 10:40 AM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times
I've watched it. It's good. It's not intended to stick entirely to what is contained in the Gospels but is intended for entertainment purposes and so writes between the lines if I can put it like that by giving details and circumstances which may or may not have been a part of the lives of the apostles. The series fleshes out the lives of Jesus and the apostles and disciples of Jesus. It brings the characters to life while also covering many of the events written in the Gospels.

Old 10-26-2021, 10:42 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
My brother watched it, and his complaint was that he felt it took too many artistic liberties in portraying the character of Jesus. It invented dialogue in order to paint Jesus with a certain ideological bent - weaponized Jesus in other words.

Side note: My wife and I went to high school with one of the actors in the show.

Old 10-26-2021, 10:50 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
I'm a Mormon and I haven't watched it. I'd like to, though, as I've heard good things about it. In response to the previous posts, pretty much every movie ever made about Jesus took some artistic liberties to make it more interesting. Sometimes these can add a new perspective for us to consider. I remember seeing "The Passion of the Christ," which definitely leaned towards a Catholic understanding of the Gospels, and I really enjoyed it. I didn't necessarily agree with all of the symbolism that was used, but it did give me something to think about and for that reason, I found it very worthwhile. To me, the very last scene was so powerful that I don't think I'll ever forget it. I've definitely got to see The Chosen, though.

Old 10-26-2021, 10:55 AM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Season one and at least some of season two is on YouTube.

The Chosen Season One: Episodes 1 & 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6sH...-im9IvdsFhKPaG

On the right hand side just below the video is a menu for the other episodes.

Old 10-26-2021, 11:00 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm a Mormon and I haven't watched it. I'd like to, though, as I've heard good things about it. In response to the previous posts, pretty much every movie ever made about Jesus took some artistic liberties to make it more interesting. Sometimes these can add a new perspective for us to consider. I remember seeing "The Passion of the Christ," which definitely leaned towards a Catholic understanding of the Gospels, and I really enjoyed it. I didn't necessarily agree with all of the symbolism that was used, but it did give me something to think about and for that reason, I found it very worthwhile. To me, the very last scene was so powerful that I don't think I'll ever forget it. I've definitely got to see The Chosen, though.
You make a great point. I caught part of The 10 Commandments last year and it really hit me that maybe I'm a bit inconsistent with my criticism of The Chosen, while we all just blindly accept The 10 Commandments.

Old 10-26-2021, 11:04 AM

I watched it. I did enjoy it. It stayed true to Scripture for the most part, but it did fabricate the back story in order to develop the characters. I did see hints of Catholicism. Mary Magdalene is presented as being a prostitute. This theory can be traced back to Pope Gregory I who first pronounced her a “sinful woman” in the year 591, defying evidence to the contrary from the gospels.

Old 10-26-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Season one and at least some of season two is on YouTube.

The Chosen Season One: Episodes 1 & 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6sH...-im9IvdsFhKPaG

On the right hand side just below the video is a menu for the other episodes.
I downloaded the app and was able to watch all of the episodes from it. I think my favorite was when Jesus tells Peter and the others to cast their nets on the other side. It made me realize just how awesome a miracle that was. It’s no wonder they followed Him! What a time to be alive!

Old 10-26-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I’ve never been able to bring myself to watch The Passion for the very reason you stated. Just singing hymns and sharing the Lord’s Supper brings me to tears. I’d be a mess watching The Passion. It would be very emotional for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity