Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 10:13 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Right. So you believe Paul suffering in prison is penance? Really? No.
Yes. Any suffering can be offered up as penance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
How about an actual clear reference to it, rather than one you have to read in your presuppositions to?
Any time repentance is mentioned, penance is necessarily implied. What do you think penance is? What good is repentance without penance? I know you believe in justice.

If I steal from you, what good is my apology if I make no effort to repay you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2022, 04:24 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,687,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

Any time repentance is mentioned, penance is necessarily implied. What do you think penance is? What good is repentance without penance? I know you believe in justice.

If I steal from you, what good is my apology if I make no effort to repay you?
Not sure about the apostles but Jesus covers that concept here
Literal version
Mat 5:21**You heard that it was said to the ancients: You will not murder, and whoever may murder will be in danger of the judgment;
Mat 5:22**but I say to you that everyone who is angry at his brother without cause, will be in danger of the judgment, and whoever may say to his brother, Stupid, will be in danger of the Sanhedrin, and whoever may say, Moron, will be in danger of the Gehenna of fire.
Mat 5:23**If, therefore, you may bring your gift to the altar, and there may remember that your brother has anything against you,
Mat 5:24**leave there your gift before the altar, and go—first be reconciled to your brother, and then having come, bring your gift.
Mat 5:25**Be agreeing with your opponent quickly, while you are in the way with him, that the opponent may not deliver you to the judge, and the judge may deliver you to the officer, and you may be cast into prison,
Mat 5:26**truly I say to you, you may not come forth from there until you may pay the last penny.

It seems to me the ‘penance’ needs to be relevant to the type of ‘injury’ though

Last edited by Meerkat2; 05-17-2022 at 04:37 PM..

Old 05-17-2022, 09:25 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I truly wonder what kind of God you imagine our Father to be if you think offering up your suffering would have any value to Him whatsoever. He would rather suffer for us than have us suffer. The more you reveal about what your God is like, the less I can relate Him to the God I encountered, Mike.

Old 05-17-2022, 10:12 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,837,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I truly wonder what kind of God you imagine our Father to be if you think offering up your suffering would have any value to Him whatsoever. He would rather suffer for us than have us suffer. The more you reveal about what your God is like, the less I can relate Him to the God I encountered, Mike.
See Hebrews 12:5-11.

Old 05-17-2022, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
See Hebrews 12:5-11.
Hebrews 12:5-11 refers to chastening or correction which refers to refinement of our Spirit, NOT everlasting punishment!!! You make no effort to consider that the phrasing to our ancestors needed to be such that it would be understandable to their primitive and more savage minds. Truly civilized minds are a relatively modern phenomenon.

Old 05-17-2022, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Hebrews 12:5-11 refers to chastening or correction which refers to refinement of our Spirit, NOT everlasting punishment!!! You make no effort to consider that the phrasing to our ancestors needed to be such that it would be understandable to their primitive and more savage minds. Truly civilized minds are a relatively modern phenomenon.
I was not saying that Hebrews 12:5-11 was referring to eternal punishment.

Clearly, EscalaMike was speaking of purgatory in the context of this conversation. I was merely referring to the fact that your statement in response to him was incorrect.

Our suffering is of value to the Lord.

While I do not believe that we are chastened in purgatory but rather before we pass on into the next life if we are truly born again.

Old 05-17-2022, 11:44 PM

Quote:
I was not saying that Hebrews 12:5-11 was referring to eternal punishment.

Clearly, EscalaMike was speaking of purgatory in the context of this conversation. I was merely referring to the fact that your statement in response to him was incorrect.

Our suffering is of value to the Lord.

While I do not believe that we are chastened in purgatory but rather before we pass on into the next life if we are truly born again.
It doesn't matter. Chastening is a correction for the purpose of teaching not inflicting suffering. Suffering has no part in it and is of no value to God.

Old 05-17-2022, 11:47 PM

Quote:
It doesn't matter. Chastening is a correction for the purpose of teaching not inflicting suffering. Suffering has no part in it and is of no value to God.
There is most certainly pain involved in chastening.

When your father on earth gives you a spanking, you feel pain.

That is chastening that is even referred to in the passage.

Old 05-18-2022, 12:07 AM

Quote:
There is most certainly pain involved in chastening.

When your father on earth gives you a spanking, you feel pain.

That is chastening that is even referred to in the passage.
The suffering does NOT please God nor does it have any impact on God. It has no value to God. It is only of value to correct us.

Old 05-18-2022, 12:11 AM

Quote:
The suffering does NOT please God nor does it have any impact on God. It has no value to God. It is only of value to correct us.
I think that God is pleased when His correction produces in us the peaceable fruit of righteousness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity