Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 12:43 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOzarkLady View Post
Another sex gripe thread.
You focus on sex, not greed, violence, hatred, prejudice, or any real meaningful plague in America, but instead, on silly little sexuality. Any reasonable person would know that if we began to address the real problems, God would be more than pleased with people.

Get over the sex complex and address real social concerns.
Yep, I agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2021, 12:50 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Obviously there is no absolute correct answer to this. It's all human opinion.

Years ago, the term Moralistic Theurapuetic Deism was coined in an effort to describe the religious beliefs of the typical US citizen. After years of observation, I tend to agree. Most people do not have their beliefs rooted in the Bible. They tend to have a moralistic attitude about how people should behave. Except it seems the typical American has no problem accepting all manner of sexual behavior, and is unwilling to judge anyone's sexual activity. They believe in a God that everyone can pray to for help. They think that the vast majority of people will die and live in peace in the afterlife. These beliefs do not align in any way with traditional Christianity, but most people don't really care because they don't believe the Bible, and they believe that their belief system makes more sense.

Comments?
I have not witnessed anyone, more focused on the sexual activities or behaviors of others, as much as I have the religious, male fundamentalists? Who believe that the majority of humanity will be snuffed-out or damned in an afterlife - based on their particular beliefs.

Old 11-09-2021, 12:56 PM

299 posts, read 104,209 times
Why the focus on sexual sin? What people do in private is not so alarming as the rampant wearing of mixed-cloth clothing by so many people in broad daylight. Sure sign of the end!

Old 11-09-2021, 01:04 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Humphrey View Post
Why the focus on sexual sin? What people do in private is not so alarming as the rampant wearing of mixed-cloth clothing by so many people in broad daylight. Sure sign of the end!
Not you too

Although I don't always agree with your posts, I at least honestly thought you were more intelligent than that

Old 11-09-2021, 01:08 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I have not witnessed anyone, more focused on the sexual activities or behaviors of others, as much as I have the religious, male fundamentalists? Who believe that the majority of humanity will be snuffed-out or damned in an afterlife - based on their particular beliefs.
It is an enigma!

Old 11-09-2021, 07:42 PM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Humphrey View Post
I don't think there is such a thing as the typical American.

Old 11-09-2021, 07:43 PM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOzarkLady View Post
Another sex gripe thread.
You focus on sex, not greed, violence, hatred, prejudice, or any real meaningful plague in America, but instead, on silly little sexuality. Any reasonable person would know that if we began to address the real problems, God would be more than pleased with people.

Get over the sex complex and address real social concerns.
Dammit, I wish I'd said that.

Old 11-09-2021, 07:51 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Dammit, I wish I'd said that.
Agreed.

Old 11-11-2021, 06:16 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,050,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Obviously there is no absolute correct answer to this. It's all human opinion.

Years ago, the term Moralistic Theurapuetic Deism was coined in an effort to describe the religious beliefs of the typical US citizen. After years of observation, I tend to agree. Most people do not have their beliefs rooted in the Bible. They tend to have a moralistic attitude about how people should behave. Except it seems the typical American has no problem accepting all manner of sexual behavior, and is unwilling to judge anyone's sexual activity. They believe in a God that everyone can pray to for help. They think that the vast majority of people will die and live in peace in the afterlife. These beliefs do not align in any way with traditional Christianity, but most people don't really care because they don't believe the Bible, and they believe that their belief system makes more sense.

Comments?

Yeah. You just wrote a bunch of nonsense. There is no typical set of beliefs. It is ridiculous to assert otherwise. I do find it ironic that you slap the moralistic label on others and then immediately launch into some first-class moralizing yourself. Not much self-awareness there.

Old 11-12-2021, 01:04 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,655,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Americanism is a religion unto itself.
Yeah, IMO "Christianity" to the "average" American mean simply that they are not another world religion. I don't think it means much more than that to many. Or maybe being against the A-word we are not supposed to discuss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity