Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2021, 07:33 AM

1,196 posts, read 753,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
“All those who call on the name of Yahweh shall live.” Or “All those who call on the name of Jehovah shall live.” Which one is it? Is it okay to change someone’s name from Hebrew to English if they don’t have a say in it? I think not. I think you have it wrong. Are you evil for doing so? Not in my book. At least not for that cause that name does not save.
Yahweh is said the be the Hebrew form, Jehovah is English, either one is fine! Jehovah just wants his NAME KNOWN and used! if it wasn't ok, for his servants to use it in the English form, Jehovah wouldn't allow it. he wanted people to be called by his Name, (Acts 15:14 Simon hath declared how God at the first visited the Gentiles to take out from them a people for His name). see (Isaiah 43:7-10 (Everyone who is called by My name, Whom I have created for My glory; I have formed him, yes, I have made him..."). and (2Chron. 7:14 if my people who are called by my name humble...). peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2021, 07:55 AM

1,196 posts, read 753,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
We don't use the exact name of Jesus. We don't have audio recordings of the Aramaic pronunciation back then. But, we use Jesus in English. People may ask why use God's name in the first place. Jesus taught his followers God's name (John 17:6)
you're so right! Jehovah said something about ALL will say his Name. I think this was in reference towards the End. I remember at one time MANY refused to believe the Name was in EVERY Bible version. many wanted to believe, Jws made the Name up. Now, though many refuse to believe that Jehovah is a separate Being from Jesus. Jehovah's words proved right they are saying his Name. Jehovah wanted his servants to use his Name in order to separate his followers from the rest of the Christendom world.

Old 12-27-2021, 11:42 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,262,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Here are facts of that matter being hidden from Most. One needs to think on this very seriously.

In the OT God inspired his personal name in nearly 6800 spots. Wicked men removed it, making them altered versions of the bible. They replaced that name with the titles-- GOD or LORD all capitols. They had no right.
As well fragments of the Greek septuagent( NT) were found( very old) The ones who read them stated-- We have proof Gods personal name is in the NT. and the early christians used that name.

This goes along with the Fathers will and Jesus. At John17:6-Jesus teaches that name to his followers in a prayer. At John 17:26--Jesus promises to keep on making that name known. At John 12:28-- Another prayer to his Father-- Father glorify your name. Therefore a voice came out of heaven. I have glorified it and will glorify it again.

So with these facts it is proof God wants his name known and used. But the ones who refuse to put that name back in the bible, condemned the ones who did put it back and stated. No that name does not belong in the NT, even though there is proof. Something wrong with that picture when ones religion is doing the opposite of what both the Father and son want-Why? Because they are these teachers-2Corinthians 11:12-15--RUN FROM THEM.
Jesus assures at Matthew 7:21--Those living now to do his Fathers will get to enter his kingdom.( be saved)- Jesus lives to do his Fathers will( John 5:30)so do his followers--Those who are not are being mislead to not enter Gods kingdom.
I agree that translators should not have changed YHWH in the OT. That has been remedied in some cases. There are OT versions now that do contain YHWH, and more are being added. I’m happy that I now own one of them.

But for the NT,

No extant Greek manuscript in existence contains YHWH. Period. That is a fact! One which you deny.

You need to be concerned about the changes to God’s word that your New World Translation has made. They are blatant and inexcusable. So before you try taking the beam out of the eyes of others, you’d better take a long look at the log in your eyes.

Jesus, Himself, refers to YHWH as THEOS in the NT. In English, it means God. When I pray and happen to say “Dear God,” I trust my Heavenly Father hears me.

Jesus may very well have spoken Aramaic, but what we have are NT GREEK manuscripts. God promised He would preserve His word forever, and He has kept His promise. He has given us the Greek manuscripts. I trust them. You, on the other hand talk out of two sides of your mouth. You claim to love and trust the word of God, but then you trash it saying it’s corrupt.

Old 12-27-2021, 03:03 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,914,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
I agree that translators should not have changed YHWH in the OT. That has been remedied in some cases. There are OT versions now that do contain YHWH, and more are being added. I’m happy that I now own one of them.

But for the NT,

No extant Greek manuscript in existence contains YHWH. Period. That is a fact! One which you deny.

You need to be concerned about the changes to God’s word that your New World Translation has made. They are blatant and inexcusable. So before you try taking the beam out of the eyes of others, you’d better take a long look at the log in your eyes.

Jesus, Himself, refers to YHWH as THEOS in the NT. In English, it means God. When I pray and happen to say “Dear God,” I trust my Heavenly Father hears me.

Jesus may very well have spoken Aramaic, but what we have are NT GREEK manuscripts. God promised He would preserve His word forever, and He has kept His promise. He has given us the Greek manuscripts. I trust them. You, on the other hand talk out of two sides of your mouth. You claim to love and trust the word of God, but then you trash it saying it’s corrupt.

You speak of the religion that came out Romes translating. The greek septuagent is much older and it does contain the name. Ones who are not Jw,s said they have proof it does in those fragments. There are many spots in The Nt where the OT is quoted where that name is in the Ot.
Many are being mislead because they took Gods name out. He put it there because he wants it there.
Most of the major other religions claiming to be christian did all they could to condemn the NWT when the name was put back, proving they do not know God.

Old 12-27-2021, 03:59 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,148,378 times
Quote:

But for the NT,

<snip>
Some facts to consider:

We don't have the original Bible texts. Most copies were made about two centuries and on. Coincidentally it was during this time that people began to substitute God's name with titles like "Lord" or "God."

Consider:
1) The OT manuscripts including the Greek translation of the OT that were around during the time of Jesus and the apostles used the tetragrammaton

2) Jesus referred to God's name and told others about it as in John 5:43; 10:25; 17:6, 11, 12, 26. Lord, Adonai, Abba, etc are NOT names but titles.

3) Early Jewish writers such as the Rabbi Tarfon complained that the Jewish Christians (minim) would use God's name in their writings. For example, the Tosefta says: “The books of the Evangelists and the books of the minim they do not save from a fire. But they are allowed to burn where they are, they and the references to the Divine Name which are in them.”

4) An abbreviated form of God's name appears in the book of Revelation as Jah in the word Hallelujah.

5) There are a number of NT texts that quote from the OT text and where the OT texts DID include YHWH. If we are discussing keeping the Bible free of changes then those NT texts should rightly preserved God's name. But, most Bible translations don't with the exception of a few such as the NWT.

A final thought of what it meant to take out God's name. It created ambiguity and blurred the distinction between God and Christ:

"First, a number of passages must have taken on an ambiguity which the original lacked. For example, the second century church read, “The Lord said to my Lord” (Matthew 22-44, Mark 12-36, Luke 20-42), a reading which is as ambiguous as it is imprecise. The first century church probably read, “YHWH said to my Lord.” The Name of God in the New Testament, George Howard, BAR 4:01, Mar 1978. : Center for Online Judaic Studies

The NWT renders the passage, "Jehovah said to my Lord." The corresponding OT scripture is found in Psalm 110:1

"To the second century church, “Prepare the way of the Lord” (Mark 1-3) must have meant one thing, since it immediately followed the words- “The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ.” But to the First Century Church it must have meant something else since they read, “Prepare the way of YHWH.” The Name of God in the New Testament, George Howard, BAR 4:01, Mar 1978. : Center for Online Judaic Studies

The NWT renders the passage, "Prepare the way of Jehovah." This is in line with the corresponding OT Scripture found in Isaiah 40:3

"These examples are sufficient to suggest that the removal of the Tetragrammaton from the New Testament and its replacement with the surrogates kyrios and theos blurred the original distinction between the Lord God and the Lord Christ, and in many passages made it impossible to tell which one was meant. This is supported by the fact that in a number of places where Old Testament quotations are cited, there is a confusion in the manuscript tradition whether to read God or Christ in the discussion surrounding the quotation. Once the Tetragrammaton was removed and replaced by the surrogate “Lord”, scribes were unsure whether “Lord” meant God or Christ. As time went on, these two figures were brought into even closer unity until it was often impossible to distinguish between them. Thus it may be that the removal of the Tetragrammaton contributed significantly to the later Christological and Trinitarian debates which plagued the church of the early Christian centuries."- The Name of God in the New Testament, George Howard, BAR 4:01, Mar 1978. : Center for Online Judaic Studies

Hope this helps you or, if not, others who may be open to view this issue from a historical viewpoint vs dogma.

Old 12-27-2021, 05:31 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Any God that cares what name you use for Him wouldn't be worth worshiping anyway.
Caring about things like that is a purely human ego problem especially since there is ONLY one God anyway.

Old 12-27-2021, 05:42 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
I just call Him Father.

Old 12-27-2021, 05:45 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,262,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
You speak of the religion that came out Romes translating. The greek septuagent is much older and it does contain the name. Ones who are not Jw,s said they have proof it does in those fragments. There are many spots in The Nt where the OT is quoted where that name is in the Ot.
Many are being mislead because they took Gods name out. He put it there because he wants it there.
Most of the major other religions claiming to be christian did all they could to condemn the NWT when the name was put back, proving they do not know God.
The Septuagint is a Greek translation of the Old Testament, not the New Testament.

The NWT translation of the New Testament is corrupted. The changes it has made are inexcusable. It is nothing more than a sectarian paraphrase.

Old 12-27-2021, 05:47 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,683,545 times
Quote:
The Septuagint is a Greek translation of the Old Testament, not the New Testament.

The NWT translation of the New Testament is corrupted. The changes it has made are inexcusable. It is nothing more than a sectarian paraphrase.
Yup

Old 12-27-2021, 05:55 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity