Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2022, 09:09 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,380,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
::Sigh:: Aversion to sexual relations is neither a healthy nor holy state of mind, CCCyou, no matter what the Essenes or Catholics or any other culture or religion believes.
ha - I'm not sure how you get 'Aversion to sexual relations' from what I've posted - but my posts thus-far have only touched on the subject so maybe that's why I'm misunderstood.
Many fully-practicing Catholic marriages include large families - so certainly there is NO 'aversion' - heh heh.
Read Dr. Gregory K. Popcak's book "Holy Sex!: A Catholic Guide to Toe-Curling, Mind-Blowing, Infallible Loving" if you want some insight/proof/explanation on this!

As EscAlaMike and my posts indicate, purity, chastity, charity, and celibacy need not be abandoned even in a modern world despite the innumerable overwhelming temptations to do so,
even within a very fruitful marriage; and upholding such actually results in tremendous guilt-free freedom,
continuous honeymoon-like renewal, and open One-ness with God!
Pope John Paul II's encyclical "Theology of the Body" is also good read too on the topic for the uninitiated.

These things point to our holy destiny where even Jesus stated "At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven."
There is a reason Jesus often referred to himself as the Groom, and the Church His bride.

I would agree, Mystic, most in this world won't ever embrace this heavenly perspective while still alive in their carnal state; but for those that can and do now, .

Old 01-11-2022, 07:30 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,924,448 times
Quote:
You are aware that this is the year 2022 NOT 1822, right Mike?
How is that relevant?

Are God's standards for sexual morality different now than at any other point in history?

Old 01-11-2022, 07:44 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,013,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The church does not believe in sola scriptura.

Interesting by the way - I grew up fundamentalist - LOL
I'm sorry for you and what you likely endured as a child. I'm not really "Fundamentalist" as you might know. I'm not a KJV-only guy that has a pastor that screams and yells and talks about JEEEEEEEZUS!

Old 01-11-2022, 11:53 AM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
ha - I'm not sure how you get 'Aversion to sexual relations' from what I've posted - but my posts thus-far have only touched on the subject so maybe that's why I'm misunderstood.
Many fully-practicing Catholic marriages include large families - so certainly there is NO 'aversion' - heh heh.
Read Dr. Gregory K. Popcak's book "Holy Sex!: A Catholic Guide to Toe-Curling, Mind-Blowing, Infallible Loving" if you want some insight/proof/explanation on this!

As EscAlaMike and my posts indicate, purity, chastity, charity, and celibacy need not be abandoned even in a modern world despite the innumerable overwhelming temptations to do so,
even within a very fruitful marriage; and upholding such actually results in tremendous guilt-free freedom,
continuous honeymoon-like renewal, and open One-ness with God!
Pope John Paul II's encyclical "Theology of the Body" is also good read too on the topic for the uninitiated.

These things point to our holy destiny where even Jesus stated "At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven."
There is a reason Jesus often referred to himself as the Groom, and the Church His bride.

I would agree, Mystic, most in this world won't ever embrace this heavenly perspective while still alive in their carnal state; but for those that can and do now, .
Do not get me wrong, CCCyou. I just have a very different view from Mike (and you) of our role here and our relationship to our Father. I disavow all the authoritarian nonsense promulgated in the primitive religions born of our ancestors' ignorance and superstition about God. Consequently, I do not believe there is anything UNCHASTE about satisfying our pleasurable needs responsibly.

God would not deny us our playtime as long as we deal responsibly with it. We just need to take care not to avoid the responsibilities and work that we are also here to do. I do not believe we can do anything wrong if we act with due concern for the consequences of our actions to ensure no one is harmed or hurt in any way. That turns out to be a more than sufficient, significant, and very high bar to achieve.

Old 01-11-2022, 02:04 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
What do YOU think he meant by remaining chaste, Mike????
That doesn't mean "aversion."

Old 01-11-2022, 02:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I'm sorry for you and what you likely endured as a child. I'm not really "Fundamentalist" as you might know. I'm not a KJV-only guy that has a pastor that screams and yells and talks about JEEEEEEEZUS!
Actually my parents were non denominational and my dad was a full time Navigator minister after he got out of the Air Force. I didn't endure a lot of craziness about religion as a child and I attended non denominational churches, "bible churches," Baptist churches, Presbyterian churches and even Assembly of God churches, and I probably left some out. Please don't feel sorry for me - that is wasted energy.

I just realized as an adult that my belief system was best met by being Catholic and I am so, so glad I found the Catholic church!

Old 01-11-2022, 02:56 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,013,134 times
Quote:
Actually my parents were non denominational and my dad was a full time Navigator minister after he got out of the Air Force. I didn't endure a lot of craziness about religion as a child and I attended non denominational churches, "bible churches," Baptist churches, Presbyterian churches and even Assembly of God churches, and I probably left some out. Please don't feel sorry for me - that is wasted energy.

I just realized as an adult that my belief system was best met by being Catholic and I am so, so glad I found the Catholic church!
That's actually very close to my backgroun -- Baptist and Bible churches. Not exactly "fundamentalist", but it's what anyone to the right of the UMC or ELCA gets labeled.

Old 01-11-2022, 05:53 PM

Quote:
That doesn't mean "aversion."
What could possibly be unchaste about satisfying your instinctual sexual drive that it would need some external sanctifications or conditions to make it chaste???

Old 01-11-2022, 06:06 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Oh for Pete's sake, CCCyou. I can accept that virginity may have been necessary PRIOR to Jesus, but there is no conceivable way for it to have been possible AFTER the birth of Jesus through the birth canal!!!
The what? Giving birth to a baby vaginally would not make Mary not a virgin. Only having sex makes a virgin no longer a virgin.

Old 01-11-2022, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The what? Giving birth to a baby vaginally would not make Mary not a virgin. Only having sex makes a virgin no longer a virgin.
As you wish. I have no real interest whatsoever in the concept of virginity or its status but the idea that someone having sex would somehow be unchaste is something I cannot get my mind around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity