Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 05:27 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times

Advertisements

Wow, so taking Christ at His word is taking it out of context....you're still avoiding my question regarding the law.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who sees the hypocrisy in that, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 07:56 PM

109 posts, read 214,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Wow, so taking Christ at His word is taking it out of context....you're still avoiding my question regarding the law.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who sees the hypocrisy in that, though.
The discussion there did not involve the issue of clean and unclean meats. The issue here was whether or not eating without the ritual hand washing defiled the food. That is what Yeshua meant. So yes, using Yeshua's words to claim that He said all meats are clean is taking His words out of context. I may not be a scholar when it comes to Scripture, but I do know that you cannot simply take a verse at face value to imply what ever doctrine you are seeking to prove. You have to consider what the whole passage was about. That is why there appear to be parts of Scripture that seemingly contradict other parts. Yawheh does not change. He is not going to tell us certain foods are unclean, and then suddenly say that they are clean.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:03 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Do you have one of those refrigerators that keeps the light on and motor running through the entire Sabbath so as not to "work" it when you open the door?

Old 06-27-2008, 12:41 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,187,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Do you have one of those refrigerators that keeps the light on and motor running through the entire Sabbath so as not to "work" it when you open the door?
?
Are you poking fun at God or the poster?

Old 06-27-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
?
Why would you assume I was making fun at anything? These types of refrigerators are not unheard of in the othordox Jewish circles. Were you not aware of them?

Old 06-27-2008, 01:40 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
?
He's (or she) is legit.

I don't think he (or she) is making fun of anyone.

We recently purchased a new range for our kitchen and it has a sabbath mode.

There very well may be fridges that do the same thing.

Shabbat mode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Star-K Kosher Certification - Kosher Consumer

HAYOM: Appliance makers add 'Sabbath mode' to new products

GE Monogram® Introduces Sabbath Mode Refrigerator Kit for the Jewish Consumer : GE Monogram : Appliances : Press Releases : GE Consumer & Industrial Press Room

Last edited by Alpha8207; 06-27-2008 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: added links

Old 06-27-2008, 08:31 PM
JLA

Quote:
Why would you assume I was making fun at anything? These types of refrigerators are not unheard of in the othordox Jewish circles. Were you not aware of them?
Oh I don't know. I guess I thought this was a Christian thread, not and Orthodox Jewish thread. Any way, I stand corrected and I humbly apologize. And yes I have seen stoves and ranges with a "Sabbath" mode. But being a christian who keeps the Sabbath holy I have not thought much about it. God Bless.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Oh I don't know. I guess I thought this was a Christian thread, not and Orthodox Jewish thread. Any way, I stand corrected and I humbly apologize. And yes I have seen stoves and ranges with a "Sabbath" mode. But being a christian who keeps the Sabbath holy I have not thought much about it. God Bless.
Well, we are discussing Jewish Law in this Christian thread. I guess it just depends on how serious and to what extent you want to keep the Sabbath.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:53 AM
JLA

Quote:
Well, we are discussing Jewish Law in this Christian thread. I guess it just depends on how serious and to what extent you want to keep the Sabbath.
I thought we were discussing God's commandments in this Christian thread. There is a difference. God's commandments are biblical, the Jewish laws are not. The Jewish laws is an addition to the original. It is the Jewish laws that Jesus called the traditions men. The Christian Sabbath, the one Jesus kept is a prelude to heaven. A gift from God Himself to the human race.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:14 AM

Quote:
I thought we were discussing God's commandments in this Christian thread. There is a difference. God's commandments are biblical, the Jewish laws are not. The Jewish laws is an addition to the original. It is the Jewish laws that Jesus called the traditions men. The Christian Sabbath, the one Jesus kept is a prelude to heaven. A gift from God Himself to the human race.
All right, then change the words from Jewish Law to God's commandment, my point is the same, and the law is the same. Of these laws (10 comandments), name calling is merely semantics. I hope you still got my point.
Quote:
... it just depends on how serious and to what extent you want to keep the Sabbath.
There, feel better? So is it just work for pay that is bad on the sabbath, or is it as extreme as not incurring power usage at the flick of a switch that is also considered work and must not be done under any circumstances?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity