Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 04:00 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Jesus states clearly and unequivocally in John 6:44

No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them..."

There's no question--if a man doesn't come to Jesus it is because he wasn't drawn to Jesus by the Holy Spirit. The fault lies with God, not man because man, as Jesus clearly says, didn't have the power to choose Jesus by himself.

I'm afraid double predestination is the correct reality. God chose the few to salvation--in line with the narrow gate parable--and predestined the vast majority to eternal damnation, "wide is the gate that leads to destruction and many are they who go through it." Matthew 7:14.
In the beginning, man was created in communion with God and was able to choose to obey God.

However, when man chose to disobey, all of creation was corrupted including our wills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2022, 04:16 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:

There's no question--if a man doesn't come to Jesus it is because he wasn't drawn to Jesus by the Holy Spirit. The fault lies with God, not man because man, as Jesus clearly says, didn't have the power to choose Jesus by himself.

I'm afraid double predestination is the correct reality. God chose the few to salvation--in line with the narrow gate parable--and predestined the vast majority to eternal damnation, "wide is the gate that leads to destruction and many are they who go through it." Matthew 7:14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
In the beginning, man was created in communion with God and was able to choose to obey God.

However, when man chose to disobey, all of creation was corrupted including our wills.

And hence God had to change his plan and predestine a few for heaven and the vast majority of mankind to hell.

Old 03-25-2022, 04:35 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:

God draws though the Holy Spirit's common grace ministry at the point of gospel hearing. All who hear the gospel and believe it can come to Jesus. God does not prevent anyone who wants to from responding to the gospel message by placing their faith in Christ Jesus.

Old 03-25-2022, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
God draws though the Holy Spirit's common grace ministry at the point of gospel hearing. All who hear the gospel and believe it can come to Jesus. God does not prevent anyone who wants to from responding to the gospel message by placing their faith in Christ Jesus.

Is this your own interpretation because you don't like the idea of double predestination? Jesus clearly states man cannot choose him in any capacity--common grace ministry or as his savior--unless God makes the first move and draws the man to Jesus. There it is in black and white. Christians cannot go assigning their own personal interpretations to Jesus' clear as day words.

Old 03-25-2022, 04:51 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Is this your own interpretation because you don't like the idea of double predestination? Jesus clearly states man cannot choose him in any capacity--common grace ministry or as his savior--unless God makes the first move and draws the man to Jesus. There it is in black and white. Christians cannot go assigning their own personal interpretations to Jesus' clear as day words.
I've already told you how it works. And the gospel message IS God making the first move. Period.

Old 03-25-2022, 04:51 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
There's some slippery and sloppy assumptions in that original post. Creating more problems than solving.

If you're going to take a haphazard approach to understanding scripture - and understanding God - keep it to yourself. Voluntarily spreading misinformation is a rotten venture.

Old 03-25-2022, 04:54 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,683,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
There's some slippery and sloppy assumptions in that original post. Creating more problems than solving.
The typical cut and paste a few verses together to support your own theory kind of thing

Old 03-25-2022, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
The typical cut and paste a few verses together to support your own theory kind of thing
Yeah. It's scary how some carry on. Like getting behind the wheel without any prior thought or experience. Just hit the pedal and see where the car goes and what damage ensues. Maybe smile along the way too, with self-assured bravado.

Old 03-25-2022, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I've already told you how it works. And the gospel message IS God making the first move. Period.

Well you're wrong. Period.

Anyone who reads the entire passage from verse 35 to 59 can see that the entire context is about eternal life [salvation] For example:

7 "All those the Father gives me will come to me".

"All those" clearly refers to a selection of certain men and women from the whole and not the whole.

39 "I shall lose none of all those he has given me."

Of those he has given me selected from all men I shall lose none of them.

40 "...everyone who believes in [me] shall have eternal life

Whoever believes in me shall have eternal life.

44 “[However] No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them.

It is is undeniable what Jesus is saying: the father has given some men to me and those who he has given me I will save. Well, what happens to the rest? There is only one fate for them: eternal hell. Because they didn't choose Jesus through no fault of their own, but because God didn't call them to accept Jesus. Man cannot know the will of God or his plan for why he chooses some and not other. It is all part of a divine mystery of God Paul talks about throughout his epistles.

Some men are predestined to everlasting life, and others foreordained to everlasting death.” 1 [It is] God’s choice to save certain sinners by grace and his choice to leave certain sinners to the damnation they deserve. Predestination is part of God’s decree, his eternal purpose in which he has decided all that will take place, ordaining everything for the manifestation of his glory.

https://www.crossway.org/articles/he...redestination/

Like I said, clear as day. Some are predestined to salvation and others are predestined to damnation.

Old 03-25-2022, 05:29 PM

If people were/are predestined as above, then there is no reason for Jesus, and choosing in him. We know that's not the case, so the whole predestination myth falls flat into the dust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity