Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 05:34 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightfame52 View Post
The answer to the question is an absolutely yes ! Many scriptures indicate that, if we receive them honestly. Heres one that teaches it by antithesis 1 Thess 5:9

9 For God hath not appointed us to wrath[as others], but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,

This statement presupposes that God has appointed some to wrath, that word appointed tithémi also means destined, to decree one to be subject to wrath,

All whom God did not choose in Christ and to obtain Salvation by Him, He destined, appointed, decreed them to wrath. This is a work of God, and as it is written Acts 15:18

18 Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.
And what does this make you think of God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2022, 05:35 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Can you hand on heart sincerely and truthfully say that the Prince of peace gave you such vileness to preach?

Jesus said, my words are Spirit and Life, tell me how what you subscribe to is either? You actually sound like you are from the dark ages or raised by Al Qaeda in a cave in Afghanistan.
^^ This ^^

Old 03-25-2022, 05:38 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,417,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Well you're wrong. Period.

Anyone who reads the entire passage from verse 35 to 59 can see that the entire context is about eternal life [salvation] For example:

7 "All those the Father gives me will come to me".

"All those" clearly refers to a selection of certain men and women from the whole and not the whole.

39 "I shall lose none of all those he has given me."

Of those he has given me selected from all men I shall lose none of them.

40 "...everyone who believes in [me] shall have eternal life

Whoever believes in me shall have eternal life.

44 “[However] No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them.

It is is undeniable what Jesus is saying: the father has given some men to me and those who he has given me I will save. Well, what happens to the rest? There is only one fate for them: eternal hell. Because they didn't choose Jesus through no fault of their own, but because God didn't call them to accept Jesus. Man cannot know the will of God or his plan for why he chooses some and not other. It is all part of a divine mystery of God Paul talks about throughout his epistles.

Some men are predestined to everlasting life, and others foreordained to everlasting death.” 1 [It is] God’s choice to save certain sinners by grace and his choice to leave certain sinners to the damnation they deserve. Predestination is part of God’s decree, his eternal purpose in which he has decided all that will take place, ordaining everything for the manifestation of his glory.

https://www.crossway.org/articles/he...redestination/

Like I said, clear as day. Some are predestined to salvation and others are predestined to damnation.
Given the fact that you blame God for everything I'm not surprised that you would think that God is such a monster that he would prevent certain people from believing the Gospel and thereby coming to Jesus for eternal life.

Again God draws, he makes the first step by means of the Gospel message. Salvation is offered to all. That's why in Revelation 22:17 the offer of eternal life is freely extended to all who wish to receive it.
Revelation 22:17 The Spirit and the bride say, ''Come.'' And let the one who hears say, ''Come.'' And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who wishes take the water of life without cost.
The Gospel, once again is the means by which God takes the first step and draws. This is why Paul is able to say in Romans 10:11-17 that whoever calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. And this is in response to hearing the gospel, and that faith comes from hearing.

As for the passage you posted, The Father gives to Jesus anyone who believes in Jesus for eternal life. Calvinistic theology is wrong in its teaching that God predestines some to 'hell.' God desires that all men be saved (1 Tim. 2:4) and that none perish (1 Peter 3:9). Therefore God does not prevent anyone from believing in Christ for eternal life.

Old 03-25-2022, 05:51 PM

425 posts, read 191,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightfame52 View Post
The answer to the question is an absolutely yes ! Many scriptures indicate that, if we receive them honestly. Heres one that teaches it by antithesis 1 Thess 5:9

9 For God hath not appointed us to wrath[as others], but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,

This statement presupposes that God has appointed some to wrath, that word appointed tithémi also means destined, to decree one to be subject to wrath,

All whom God did not choose in Christ and to obtain Salvation by Him, He destined, appointed, decreed them to wrath. This is a work of God, and as it is written Acts 15:18

18 Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.
You need to read it in its entirety. The "us" is not us. I am not there building anyone up, that is the Thessalonian peoples who are there building each other up.

4 But you, brothers and sisters, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief. 5 You are all children of the light and children of the day. We do not belong to the night or to the darkness. 6 So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be awake and sober. 7 For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk, get drunk at night. 8 But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet. 9 For God did not appoint us to suffer wrath but to receive salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ. 10 He died for us so that, whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with him. 11 Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.

Old 03-25-2022, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Rom_8:30 And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.

Eph_1:5 he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will,

Eph_1:11 In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will,
If you read Ephesians 1 in it's entirety, it is directed to the Ephesian Church. It doesn't mean God Predesines any specific person. Again this is Apostle Paul talking DIRECTLY to the Ephesians
to wrath.
4 But you, brothers and sisters, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief. 5 You are all children of the light and children of the day. We do not belong to the night or to the darkness. 6 So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be awake and sober. 7 For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk, get drunk at night. 8 But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet. 9 For God did not appoint us to suffer wrath but to receive salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ. 10 He died for us so that, whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with him. 11 Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.

Old 03-25-2022, 06:12 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,907,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Given the fact that you blame God for everything I'm not surprised that you would think that God is such a monster that he would prevent certain people from believing the Gospel and thereby coming to Jesus for eternal life.

Again God draws, he makes the first step by means of the Gospel message. Salvation is offered to all. That's why in Revelation 22:17 the offer of eternal life is freely extended to all who wish to receive it.
Revelation 22:17 The Spirit and the bride say, ''Come.'' And let the one who hears say, ''Come.'' And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who wishes take the water of life without cost.
The Gospel, once again is the means by which God takes the first step and draws. This is why Paul is able to say in Romans 10:11-17 that whoever calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. And this is in response to hearing the gospel, and that faith comes from hearing.

As for the passage you posted, The Father gives to Jesus anyone who believes in Jesus for eternal life. Calvinistic theology is wrong in its teaching that God predestines some to 'hell.' God desires that all men be saved (1 Tim. 2:4) and that none perish (1 Peter 3:9). Therefore God does not prevent anyone from believing in Christ for eternal life.

God does not prevent anything. He simply does not call certain people to believe in Jesus as the verse clearly states, "NO ONE can come to me.......UNLESS....the Father draws him to me." God calls some and not others according to his will and according to his good pleasure.

“For he says to Moses, ‘I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.’ So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy.” Romans 9:15

Translated: "I will save who I choose to save."

So I have nothing to do with it. It doesn't depend on my will or exertion to make a choice to accept Jesus. Says so right there. My choice to accept or reject Jesus is not dependent on MY will or exertion, it is wholly dependent on God's mercy shown to me as one of the fortunate few elected to salvation.

Old 03-25-2022, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Jesus states clearly and unequivocally in John 6:44

No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them..."

There's no question--if a man doesn't come to Jesus it is because he wasn't drawn to Jesus by the Holy Spirit. The fault lies with God, not man because man, as Jesus clearly says, didn't have the power to choose Jesus by himself.

I'm afraid double predestination is the correct reality. God chose the few to salvation--in line with the narrow gate parable--and predestined the vast majority to eternal damnation, "wide is the gate that leads to destruction and many are they who go through it." Matthew 7:14.
John 12:

30 Jesus answered and said, This voice came not because of me, but for your sakes.

31 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.

32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

Old 03-25-2022, 06:23 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,417,924 times
Quote:
God does not prevent anything. He simply does not call certain people to believe in Jesus as the verse clearly states, "NO ONE can come to me.......UNLESS....the Father draws him to me." God calls some and not others according to his will and according to his good pleasure.

“For he says to Moses, ‘I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.’ So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy.” Romans 9:15

Translated: "I will save who I choose to save."

So I have nothing to do with it. It doesn't depend on my will or exertion to make a choice to accept Jesus. Says so right there. My choice to accept or reject Jesus is not dependent on MY will or exertion, it is wholly dependent on God's mercy shown to me as one of the fortunate few elected to salvation.
Since you insist on claiming that God does not call certain people (for whatever reason) you need to explain why he does that despite the fact that he desires that ALL men be saved and that he doesn't desire that ANYONE perish. I've already provided both verses which speak to that.

What you are claiming is that despite the fact that God wants all to come to salvation he nevertheless leaves some in condemnation because according to you, while ignoring the fact that God doesn't desire that any perish, he nevertheless - "I will save who I choose to save."

And God has mercy on all.

Also, you've been shown, I provided the passage in Romans that all who call on the name of the Lord in response to the gospel message can believe in Christ for eternal life.

Furthermore, I've already told you that God draws through the gospel message, so repeating over and over that no one can come to Christ unless God draws them is pointless. God does draw all who hear the Gospel. And the gospel can be accepted or rejected.

So explain why God would choose to leave some in condemnation when he desires that all be saved and that none perish.

Old 03-25-2022, 06:39 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,907,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Since you insist on claiming that God does not call certain people (for whatever reason) you need to explain why he does that despite the fact that he desires that ALL men be saved and that he doesn't desire that ANYONE perish. I've already provided both verses which speak to that.

What you are claiming is that despite the fact that God wants all to come to salvation he nevertheless leaves some in condemnation because according to you, while ignoring the fact that God doesn't desire that any perish, he nevertheless - "I will save who I choose to save."

And God has mercy on all.

Also, you've been shown, I provided the passage in Romans that all who call on the name of the Lord in response to the gospel message can believe in Christ for eternal life.

So explain why God would choose to leave some in condemnation when he desires that all be saved and that none perish.

To carry it further, Romans 9:22-23

What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory?

Right away we see TWO distinct groups of people:

1. vessels of wrath
2. vessels of mercy

Vessels of wrath clearly are those people who are predestined to experience God's wrath (eternal condemnation in hell) and vessels of mercy are those people who are predestined to experience God's mercy of salvation (eternal happiness in heaven).

God desires to demonstrate his power and wrath by patiently enduring those vessels who have been prepared for destruction in hell. He patiently endures them so that he can demonstrate to those he has elected to save--the vessels of mercy--the riches of his glory.

So I'm not insisting anything. It is Paul who is insisting that God saves some (vessels of mercy) and withholds mercy from others in order to demonstrate the richness of his mercy toward his elect.

Says so. Right there in black and white.

Old 03-25-2022, 06:43 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,683,545 times
Quote:
To carry it further, Romans 9:22-23

What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory?

Right away we see TWO distinct groups of people:

1. vessels of wrath
2. vessels of mercy

Vessels of wrath clearly are those people who are predestined to experience God's wrath (eternal condemnation in hell) and vessels of mercy are those people who are predestined to experience God's mercy of salvation (eternal happiness in heaven).

God desires to demonstrate his power and wrath by patiently enduring those vessels who have been prepared for destruction in hell. He patiently endures them so that he can demonstrate to those he has elected to save--the vessels of mercy--the riches of his glory.

So I'm not insisting anything. It is Paul who is insisting that God saves some (vessels of mercy) and withholds mercy from others in order to demonstrate the richness of his mercy toward his elect.

Says so. Right there in black and white.
Is a vessel an actual literal person though?

I don’t believe it is in all instances and not in that context, I believe there is a lot of figurative language being used
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity