Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2022, 02:04 PM

13,679 posts, read 7,988,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
That’s why Christians reject the Catholic dogma.
I'm just going to ignore your "Catholics aren't Christians" ridiculousness...

Quote:
There is no hierarchy. There is Jesus and the believers. There are no middle men. The priest, bishop or pope have no more ability to intercede then the believer.
Spiritual anarchy. "Do what thou wilt".

These are not traditionally Christian ideas, but go ahead and run with them and see where they take you! I don't think it will be a very good place...

Quote:
God views all their sacrifices equally.
Did God view Cain and Abel's sacrifices equally?

What about the sacrifices of Nadab and Abihu?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2022, 02:05 PM

10,047 posts, read 4,983,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Being a Christian is not the same as being a priest or king is my point
The role of the priest is about mediation, reconciliation - and not all Christians have the capacity, ability, part for that
Yes, the figurative humble 'sheep' of Matthew 25:37 remaining on Earth are Not considered in the role of priests.
The kings and priests govern with Christ in Heaven after they are resurrected - Rev. 20:6; 5:9-10; 2:10; Daniel 7:18

Old 03-31-2022, 02:08 PM

28,106 posts, read 30,014,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
You are a welcome exception to the general rule as to how you present your beliefs.
Wow! What a nice comment! I genuinely appreciate the compliment!

Old 03-31-2022, 02:13 PM

11,903 posts, read 3,722,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I'm just going to ignore your "Catholics aren't Christians" ridiculousness...

Spiritual anarchy. "Do what thou wilt".

These are not traditionally Christian ideas, but go ahead and run with them and see where they take you! I don't think it will be a very good place...

Individually it will not be too bad I suspect, we reap what we sow and it is based on relevance

What I believe is there is a disconnect between understanding the difference between the personal and the public

That religion has always been about the public

Old 03-31-2022, 02:17 PM

10,047 posts, read 4,983,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
The Scripture comes to mind that 'obedience' is better than sacrifice.- see 1st Samuel 15:22.
Cain could have given his best and Abel could have given his best.
However, Cain's bad attitude is what made his sacrifice as Not acceptable.

Old 03-31-2022, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Peter said differently. Although he wasn't suggesting we are Levitical priests. We are priests in that we testify of the Gospel.
I don’t think that is being a priest, that is being an evangelist

G2099***(Strong)
εὐαγγελιστής
euaggelistēs
yoo-ang-ghel-is-tace'
From G2097; a preacher of the gospel: - evangelist.

Old 03-31-2022, 02:37 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,049,405 times
Quote:
Peter actually said otherwise.

That said no, I don't call myself a priest. He was making a point in his letter. He wasn't giving us all a title.

Old 03-31-2022, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Peter actually said otherwise.

That said no, I don't call myself a priest. He was making a point in his letter. He wasn't giving us all a title.
But titles (and words) do have meaning …. And relevance

It is part of communication and if you misunderstand the meaning of words it does cause confusion

Old 03-31-2022, 02:55 PM

9,899 posts, read 1,285,181 times
Quote:
Being a Christian is not the same as being a priest or king is my point

The role of the priest is about mediation, reconciliation - and not all Christians have the capacity, ability, part for that
The role of the Old Testament priest was to mediate. Jesus is the only mediator between God and man now.

1 Timothy 2:5
”For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus,…”

Do you have Scripture to support your view that the role of a priest in the New Testament is to mediate?

I gave you quite a few Scriptures that show all Christians are priests. I was hoping you would look them up for yourself and share your thoughts about them.

I say the following with all respect. I believe you are misunderstanding exactly what Peter and John meant when they referred to the saved as priests. A royal priesthood.

There is no longer a priestly class of people within God’s people. All believers share in Christ’s priestly status by virtue of their union with Christ. Although there was a select group of priests in the OT, who mediated the knowledge and forgiveness of God to the rest of Israel, Christ has come and fulfilled the priestly role through his life, death, and resurrection.

Under the Old Law, no one could approach the throne of God except by way of the high priest. He would offer up physical sacrifices on behalf of the people. But that ended at the cross. The Levitical priesthood was no longer needed to mediate between God an man. Jesus is our mediator now. We can approach God through Jesus. He is the middle man. We no longer need an earthly priest to mediate for us. As priests we offer spiritual sacrifices to God, and we do it through Jesus, our high priest and mediator.

Look at this verse.

1 Peter 2:5 says, “You also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.”

By spiritual house he means the church. By spiritual sacrifices, he means prayer, praise and surrendering our will to God. Anytime we glorify God, whether in word or deed, we are offering a spiritual sacrifice to our God.

That is the role of the christian priest, and that includes you. If you are a christian, then you are a priest. There is no separate class of priests in the Lord’s church. We are all equal in the eyes of God.

I’m sorry I’m not doing a better job explaining. I hope this helps.

Last edited by MissKate12; 03-31-2022 at 03:24 PM..

Old 03-31-2022, 03:07 PM

33,316 posts, read 26,518,342 times
Quote:

G2099***(Strong)
εὐαγγελιστής
euaggelistēs
yoo-ang-ghel-is-tace'
From G2097; a preacher of the gospel: - evangelist.
Meerkat, in 1 Peter 2:5 and 9 Peter does write that we are a royal priesthood. The Greek word for priesthood is ἱεράτευμα - herateuma.

If you wish, google 'doctrine of the royal priesthood of the believer' for information on the teaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity