Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 07:30 AM

9,899 posts, read 1,280,373 times

Advertisements

I came across this while researching the LDS.

True to the Faith, a currently used “correlated” booklet, summarizes the Great Apostasy this way:

“After the deaths of the Savior and His Apostles, men corrupted the principles of the gospel and made unauthorized changes in Church organization and priesthood ordinances. Because of this widespread wickedness, the Lord withdrew the authority of the priesthood from the earth.During the Great Apostasy, people were without divine direction from living prophets. Many churches were established, but they did not have priesthood power to lead people to the true knowledge of God the Father and Jesus Christ. Parts of the holy scriptures were corrupted or lost, and no one had the authority to confer the gift of the Holy Ghost or perform other priesthood ordinances. This apostasy lasted until Heavenly Father and His Beloved Son appeared to Joseph Smith in 1820 and initiated the restoration of the fulness of the gospel. We now live in a time when the gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored. But unlike the Church in times past, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will not be overcome by general apostasy. The scriptures teach that the Church will never again be destroyed (see D&C 138:44; see also Daniel 2:44)”

Questions

Where in the New Testament did Jesus give “priesthood authority” to His church?

The church was destroyed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2022, 08:13 AM

1,812 posts, read 904,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post

True to the Faith, a currently used “correlated” booklet, summarizes the Great Apostasy this way:

“After the deaths of the Savior and His Apostles, men corrupted the principles of the gospel and made unauthorized changes in Church organization and priesthood ordinances. Because of this widespread wickedness, the Lord withdrew the authority of the priesthood from the earth.During the Great Apostasy, people were without divine direction from living prophets. Many churches were established, but they did not have priesthood power to lead people to the true knowledge of God the Father and Jesus Christ. Parts of the holy scriptures were corrupted or lost, and no one had the authority to confer the gift of the Holy Ghost or perform other priesthood ordinances. This apostasy lasted until Heavenly Father and His Beloved Son appeared to Joseph Smith in 1820 and initiated the restoration of the fulness of the gospel. We now live in a time when the gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored. But unlike the Church in times past, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will not be overcome by general apostasy. The scriptures teach that the Church will never again be destroyed (see D&C 138:44; see also Daniel 2:44)”

Questions

What are these “priesthood ordinances” and where are they described in the New Testament?

Old 03-30-2022, 08:20 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,040,953 times
Good luck with that. Methinks you'll have more success nailing jello to a wall than to get a clear answer from anyone on this.

Old 03-30-2022, 09:32 AM

28,103 posts, read 29,997,160 times
Quote:

Quote:
Questions

You should have started by asking what "priesthood authority" even was. My guess is that you have an entirely different understanding of it than do members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Priesthood authority is the power God confirms on men to act in His name. Jesus conferred this authority on His Apostles when he ordained (as recorded in John 15:16).

We see this authority in action in Acts 8:14-20, which reads:

Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.) Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.

And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money, Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost. But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money.

Quote:
There is nowhere in the Bible where we are told that the "Church was destroyed." We are only told that it would fall into apostasy and that this apostasy would be far-reaching. Your question makes about as much sense as asking, "Where, in that man's memoirs, did he describe his own death?"

Old 03-30-2022, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
What are these “priesthood ordinances” and where are they described in the New Testament?
"Ordinances" is simply another word for "sacraments." As a former Mormon, this is something you should already know. The seven traditional sacraments (or ordinances) are baptism, confirmation, penance (confession), the Lord's Supper, marriage, holy orders (receiving the priesthood) and the anointing of the sick. All seven of these are still practiced in both Mormonism and Catholicism, although their names may vary and the means by which they are administrated certainly does. Most Protestant Churches only accept baptism and the Lord's Supper as legitimate sacraments.

Old 03-30-2022, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You should have started by asking what "priesthood authority" even was. My guess is that you have an entirely different understanding of it than do members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Priesthood authority is the power God confirms on men to act in His name. Jesus conferred this authority on His Apostles when he ordained (as recorded in John 15:16).

We see this authority in action in Acts 8:14-20, which reads:

Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.) Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.

And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money, Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost. But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money.

There is nowhere in the Bible where we are told that the "Church was destroyed." We are only told that it would fall into apostasy and that this apostasy would be far-reaching. Your question makes about as much sense as asking, "Where, in that man's memoirs, did he describe his own death?"
I thought you were done talking to me?

Old 03-30-2022, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Good luck with that. Methinks you'll have more success nailing jello to a wall than to get a clear answer from anyone on this.
LOL. I don’t expect a clear answer.

Old 03-30-2022, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

You may want to direct your post to the LDS. They are the ones who produce “True to the Faith.” You’ll find what I posted in my OP under Apostasy. Please note that I didn’t make a single change.

Last edited by MissKate12; 03-30-2022 at 10:31 AM..

Old 03-30-2022, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
I was under the impression that all Christians are priests. I wasn’t aware of a separate priesthood.

Old 03-30-2022, 10:35 AM

Quote:
You may want to direct your post to the LDS. They are the ones who produce “True to the Faith.” You’ll find what I posted in my OP under Apostasy. You’ll find that I didn’t make a single change.
First off, MissKate, I don't believe I need to inform the LDS leadership of anything concerning the apostasy. Furthermore, "True to the Faith" is a teaching tool. It is not a doctrinal treatise. The choice of words used in it are not "inspired" but are the authors' best attempts at explaining our doctrine.

I already explained to you previously that we do not believe Christianity as a whole ceased to exist entirely. It was "destroyed" sufficiently as to make it substantially different from original Christianity. Do you believe that the Colosseum in Rome was "destroyed"? If you believe it was, why is it a tourist attraction today? After all, a portion of it is still standing. If you believe it wasn't, then why isn't it still being used today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity