Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2022, 05:13 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
OMG! They aren’t psychic. They are simply intuitive. You kid yourself if you think otherwise.
The vast majority of those "practicing" and making money from it are frauds, no question! Your skepticism is justified but overly confident, IMO. You act as if you know or understand what the hell intuition IS!!! Perhaps you can enlighten me with your special scientific knowledge of what it is.

I have a lifetime of mystic experiences that paint a very different Reality than the one the "user interface" presents to us and science so I am probably even more skeptical of your certainty. "I also have a very deep knowledge of science in multiple fields and the limitations of them as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2022, 05:17 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I think it is more that for some they need to have a resolution of unfinished business, they are holding on and can’t let go of something and the ‘psychic’ is the channel that allows that to happen

The same as a trained psychologist when doing behavioural therapy they are not telling you what you should think and feel, they are there to guide you through the process of understanding and processing things that you weren’t able to

There is a lot more going on in the background (or internal) as it were then we can see both on the surface and at the exterior
I may be too close minded on this issue.
I have some close relatives who have visited a woman whom they believe has the gift you refer to.

They shared a few things they heard. It sounded like something they needed ( wanted ) to hear. ( not surprising to me at least)

I remain unconvinced.

Old 05-13-2022, 05:17 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,687,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
And the ones who mutter and stumble as they fabricate, or rather relate, the wonderful words of the dead.
That’s it! The qualities and meaning are the most important things - where our internal focus should be

Old 05-13-2022, 06:32 PM

43,055 posts, read 18,237,901 times
I'm of the belief that God sends spirits to you. One does not go looking for them.

Old 05-13-2022, 07:59 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,687,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
Just curious... what does God or Jesus say about mediums or the act of seeking the services of a medium to contact deceased loved ones?
I think it depends what is being mediated and at what level

The individual and the societal are totally different levels and we need to keep those relationships separate

Old 05-13-2022, 11:38 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,837,694 times
Deu 18:10, There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch,
Deu 18:11, Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.
Deu 18:12, For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.

Old 05-14-2022, 05:28 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,264,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Some Christians pray to dead saints for favors and expect a good outcome. The Catholic mass asks churchgoers to repeat "lord hear our prayer" and asks a deceased Jesus Christ for favors. So from a Christian perspective, trying to make contact with dead people is ok if it's done in church, but not by medium?
Except that Jesus isn’t dead. He arose and is seated at the right hand of God. He is our mediator, not a medium.

Praying to dead saints, including Mary, is false teaching.

Old 05-14-2022, 05:37 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,279,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
Except that Jesus isn’t dead. He arose and is seated at the right hand of God. He is our mediator, not a medium.

Praying to dead saints, including Mary, is false teaching.
True, Yet God is also the God of the Living.

‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’ He is not the God of the dead, but of the living. I am pretty sure based upon that quote from Jesus that Mary the mother of Jesus is living.

Old 05-14-2022, 07:14 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
It’s not that stunning. I am a trained interviewer and interrogator. In just a couple of minutes of casual conversation and watching your body language I can learn volumes about you. While you may think she didn’t know anything about you I guarantee you she learned everything she needed in just a few minutes of casual conversation.
No, that is not applicable. First of all, there were no "few minutes of casual conversation" beforehand. Secondly, I am really not as stupid as you seem to assume.

I certainly would have thought of THAT myself if the situation had been as you describe.

Old 05-14-2022, 07:16 AM

15,853 posts, read 6,313,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I may be too close minded on this issue.
I have some close relatives who have visited a woman whom they believe has the gift you refer to.

They shared a few things they heard. It sounded like something they needed ( wanted ) to hear. ( not surprising to me at least)

I remain unconvinced.
God is like that to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity