Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2022, 12:58 PM

11,070 posts, read 7,139,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Christianity is divided/sectarian by design
"Christianity" as controlled and filtered through religion and churches is divided/sectarian. But what was set up purely by Christ was/is thoroughly unifying (unified between us and God, unified between each other as brothers and sisters).

Too bad the first is by-and-large the norm. But then again, he did point out the contrast between the wide path of the many, and the narrow path of the relatively few. We see exactly what he was talking about and warned about. There are no surprises.

Be careful that you separate the two, otherwise the pure gets dragged down to the level of the corrupt. Pearls don't belong in the swine pit.

Old 11-16-2022, 01:10 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,685,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
"Christianity" as controlled and filtered through religion is divided/sectarian. But what was set up purely by Christ was/is thoroughly unifying (unified between us and God, unified between each other as brothers and sisters).

Too bad the first is by-and-large the norm. But then again, he did point out the contrast between the wide path of the many, and the narrow path of the relatively few.

Be careful that you separate the two, otherwise the pure gets dragged down to the level of the corrupt.
That’s right, and that is where we need to understand the difference between the personal and the organisational

All societies need some sort of law and order but it can be and does get corrupt and needs to be reformed and that happens in cycles

This has been happening for the past 2000 years and the end result is the dividing and separating and that’s also how it multiplies

Gen 1:27**So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
Gen 1:28**And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

The Holy Scriptures are full of symbolism, they use the same figures of speech in both the OT and NT

Last edited by Meerkat2; 11-16-2022 at 01:21 PM..

Old 11-16-2022, 02:44 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Or maybe you take my post exactly as I said.
I'm not sure who you thought you weren't going to get a straight answer from. At any rate, I posted my answer and it was entirely honest, accurate and as comprehensive as I know how to be (which is pretty darned honest, accurate and comprehensive, if I do say so myself).

Last edited by Katzpur; 11-16-2022 at 03:00 PM..

Old 11-16-2022, 03:13 PM

11,070 posts, read 7,139,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaEnd View Post
They just built a Temple in Meridian, Idaho. A large concrete building, looks like a Federal Reserve Bank.
We have one near us too. Huge concrete monstrosity, resembling a mausoleum. All those millions of dollars on that weirdness, and closed to the public. They have no idea how negative and repulsive of an image it is to others. I've heard of some praying that the idol Moroni on the roof gets struck by lightning.

Old 11-16-2022, 03:31 PM

332 posts, read 84,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaEnd View Post
I was wined and dined by Mormon Missionaries in 1984. We hung out, played basketball, went to the Oakland Temple. This lasted for several weeks. It ended when I told them I did not believe in Joseph Smith and would not give them 10% of my, "Net Pay". I was then told, since I know "The TRUTH", I would be held accountable for it.

The Truth, according to Mormonians, basically elevates Joseph Smith to Major Prophet.
Wined and dined? Good one!

I may not have all the all the answers you want, but I will do one question per post. I think Katzpur is doing a great job!

We believe that after Jesus died, the apostles guided His church by revelation from Jesus Christ. Through continued revelation, they kept the church united in doctrine. When they were killed, revelation ceased and the priesthood authority that he gave to his apostles was lost.

Yes, we believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. When he was 14 years old, in response to a simple prayer as to which church he should join, the Father and Jesus Christ appeared to him. They told him they had a work for him to do. In other words, he was called to be a prophet.

At Pentecost, Peter told the Jews that Jesus Christ would be sent at the time of restitution of all things.

Acts 3:20 "And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: 21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began".

This "restitution of all things" was the work Joseph Smith was called to begin.

The restitution of all things included the restoration of the Church that Jesus established while He was on earth, including the apostles who held the priesthood keys and received revelation from Jesus Christ. It also included restoration of the keys and covenants made in prior dispensations such as the keys of the gathering of Israel, and the covenants made to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

This restoration is a work in progress guided by living apostles and prophets today. Its purpose is to prepare the world for the second coming of Jesus Christ.

Joseph Smith received revelation from Jesus Christ in various ways over the course of his life. The teachings of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints did not come from studying the Bible. However, it came from the same source of revelation, and therefore proves that the Bible is true!

Old 11-16-2022, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
We have one near us too. Huge concrete monstrosity, resembling a mausoleum. All those millions of dollars on that weirdness, and closed to the public. They have no idea how negative and repulsive of an image it is to others. I've heard of some praying that the idol Moroni on the roof gets struck by lightning.
So, you don't like the temple. I'm not sure which one you are referring to, but I personally find all of the Texas temples (I'm assuming that's where you are) to be quite attractive. As for the prayers that the statue (which is in no way an idol) of Moroni on the temple will be struck by lightning, I guess only time will tell whether or not that happens.

Any more questions?

Old 11-16-2022, 03:40 PM

344 posts, read 144,309 times
Why does the Book of Mormon lower the divinity of Christ? The Book of Mormon makes Christ a created being on par with Lucifer.

This is a different version of Christ all together. Biblical Scripture has Christ as the Creator God and Lucifer as a mere angel,a created being. The Book of Mormon lowers Christ.

Old 11-16-2022, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtolympus View Post
Yeah, you know... with their big spending allowance from Church Headquarters in Salt Lake City.

Old 11-16-2022, 03:43 PM

344 posts, read 144,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtolympus View Post

I may not have all the all the answers you want, but I will do one question per post. I think Katzpur is doing a great job!

We believe that after Jesus died, the apostles guided His church by revelation from Jesus Christ. Through continued revelation, they kept the church united in doctrine. When they were killed, revelation ceased and the priesthood authority that he gave to his apostles was lost.

Yes, we believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. When he was 14 years old, in response to a simple prayer as to which church he should join, the Father and Jesus Christ appeared to him. They told him they had a work for him to do. In other words, he was called to be a prophet.

At Pentecost, Peter told the Jews that Jesus Christ would be sent at the time of restitution of all things.

Acts 3:20 "And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: 21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began".

This "restitution of all things" was the work Joseph Smith was called to begin.

The restitution of all things included the restoration of the Church that Jesus established while He was on earth, including the apostles who held the priesthood keys and received revelation from Jesus Christ. It also included restoration of the keys and covenants made in prior dispensations such as the keys of the gathering of Israel, and the covenants made to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

This restoration is a work in progress guided by living apostles and prophets today. Its purpose is to prepare the world for the second coming of Jesus Christ.

Joseph Smith received revelation from Jesus Christ in various ways over the course of his life. The teachings of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints did not come from studying the Bible. However, it came from the same source of revelation, and therefore proves that the Bible is true!
You need to explain how your Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith lowers the divinty Of Christ, making him equal with Lucifer.

The Holy Scriptures have Christ as the Creator God not a creation.

What about God being a man and how latter day saints will be God's also in charge of their own Planet. Is this true?

Old 11-16-2022, 03:57 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So, you don't like the temple. I'm not sure which one you are referring to, but I personally find all of the Texas temples (I'm assuming that's where you are) to be quite attractive. As for the prayers that the statue (which is in no way an idol) of Moroni on the temple will be struck by lightning, I guess only time will tell whether or not that happens.

Any more questions?
Moroni has always been an idol of mine. He smote himself a lot of Lamanites back in the day when he was a mortal. He was one of only 24 survivors out of 230,000 in the Battle of Cumorah. Dude was a bada$$ even before he became an angel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity