Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 05:49 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,795,443 times

Advertisements

I can't envision what Christian persecution in America would even look like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2023, 05:09 PM

7,324 posts, read 4,118,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I can't envision what Christian persecution in America would even look like.
It's going to be financial. You'll be fired for celebrating religious holidays, saying "Merry Christmas," for politely refusing to attended Gay Pride events or even for your personal life.

Quote:
Veteran biology professor who teaches scientific fact that sex is determined by chromosomes X and Y is FIRED after four students walked out of his reproductive class - accusing him of 'religious preaching'

Dr. Johnson Varkey claimed he was let go from his teaching position at St. Philip’s College in San Antonio after he was accused of 'religious preaching'

He was discussing the human reproductive system on November 28, 2022, when four students stormed out of the lecture

Varkey was then accused of 'discriminatory comments about homosexuals and transgender individuals, anti-abortion rhetoric, and misogynistic banter'

'In January 2023, St. Philip’s College fired Dr. Varkey for teaching human biology just as he did in his previous twenty-year career as a professor,' it read.

'His statements are not only supported by his extensive education and experience, but they also reflect his sincerely held religious beliefs.'

The law firm argued the firing of Varkey, who taught Human Anatomy and Physiology at the college for 22 years, was against federal and state law and it targeted his First Amendment rights.

Varkey is also an associate pastor at a local church and a devout Christian who follows the religion's teachings on sexuality and abortion.

But his attorney's added he has not expressed any of those beliefs in the classroom.

'As his stellar performance reviews suggest, Dr. Varkey gladly taught students of all beliefs and backgrounds,' the letter continued.

'Throughout his employment, he never discussed with any student his personal views — religious or otherwise — on human gender or sexuality.'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...X-Y-fired.html

Quote:
(Reuters) - A Colorado baker who had won a narrow U.S. Supreme Court victory over his refusal to make a wedding cake for a gay couple on Thursday lost his appeal of a ruling in a separate case that he violated a state anti-discrimination law by not making a cake to celebrate a gender transition.
https://www.reuters.com/legal/govern...r%20transition.

Persecution in America is happening to Christians want to pause their children transgender transitions.

Quote:
Pelosi’s Equality Act Could Lead to More Parents Losing Custody of Kids Who Want "Gender Transition"

Americans have long understood that children are best cared for by their parents. The state can only intervene in the family when there is demonstrable evidence of abuse and neglect.

This has long been established in our laws. But now, transgender ideology is silencing doctors and challenging the way courts define parental abuse and neglect.

Last year in Ohio, a judge removed a biological girl from her parents’ custody after they declined to help her “transition” to male with testosterone supplements. The Cincinnati Children’s gender clinic recommended these treatments for gender dysphoria (the condition of being distressed with one’s biological sex).

When her parents wanted to treat her with counseling instead, the county prosecutor charged them with abuse and neglect, while transgender activists and pro-trans doctors compared their decision to denying treatment for asthma or even cancer patients.

That all happened without federal legislation.

But now, one of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s top legislative priorities, the Equality Act, could give the transgender community a vice grip over the medical profession. It could open the floodgates for lawsuits against doctors who don’t fall in line with transgender ideology.
https://www.heritage.org/marriage-an...stody-kids-who

Christian belief of God made men and women! How many journalist use "breastfeeders" instead of women? A lot! How many transgender are competing with women?

Quote:
On Sunday night at the University of Michigan Medical School's annual white coat ceremony, incoming medical students recited oaths, received their white coats – then dozens of them walked out.

At issue was the keynote speaker: Dr. Kristin Collier, a Michigan faculty member and primary care physician who has spoken publicly about her Christian beliefs and anti-abortion views.

In a video posted online, dozens of students can be seen walking out of the auditorium as Collier began her address. The video, recorded and posted by Detroit resident Brendan Scorpio, has been viewed more than 11 million times.

In an interview with NPR, Scorpio, who attended the ceremony to support a friend in the incoming medical student class, estimated that roughly 70 of the 170 incoming students walked out, followed by some friends and family "in solidarity."

In total, he guessed, 35 to 40% of the audience took part in the walkout.

"The overall message that the students wanted to push was that reproductive rights, abortion, is health care," Scorpio said. "Reproductive rights for anyone who is able to give birth are incredibly important and should be something that's allowed to everyone in the country."

Collier has served on Michigan's faculty for 17 years, according to her introduction by a dean, who described her as an "enormously popular" teacher and physician. She serves as director of the medical school's Health, Spirituality and Religion program.

Collier is a frequent speaker and panelist on issues of bioethics and the role of spirituality in healthcare. On her Twitter, she has written about racism, ageism and ableism in medicine and advocated for better healthcare access for incarcerated people and residents of rural America.

But it was her anti-abortion comments that came under scrutiny by Michigan medical students.
https://www.npr.org/2022/07/25/11135...eynote-speaker

This is just the beginning of silencing Christians.

Old 06-28-2023, 08:20 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,685,900 times
It seems to me that nations and their churches/religious people are linked in a common bond

They are part of the communities and what is happening in America is as a result of how it’s many churches have brought up their children

It relates back to what has been handed down

The more oppression, repression, suppression and also excessiveness and inequality there is, the more violent the liberators and the liberation becomes - that is the worldly, societal dynamic and it has to do with physics

Newton’s 3rd law: for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction

The Christian is not to be involved in either of those processes, their focus is to be above all that

That is how they are in the world but not of the world

I believe what we are seeing currently is a result of massive social identity crisis and inequalities and discriminations that compound as time goes on

Last edited by Meerkat2; 06-28-2023 at 08:28 PM..

Old 06-28-2023, 09:26 PM

6,791 posts, read 2,899,606 times
I'm sure that there are many Christians who welcome any forthcoming persecution and suffering since such trials and tribulations apparently herald the soon return of Jesus. So, how many of you look forward to persecution and suffering? I mean, if it doesn't happen as per the Bible then Jesus won't appear. This seems to be a case of "Oh my, this is terrible!" followed quickly by "Oh my, this is wonderful!"

Old 06-29-2023, 12:50 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
It seems to me that nations and their churches/religious people are linked in a common bond

They are part of the communities and what is happening in America is as a result of how it’s many churches have brought up their children

It relates back to what has been handed down

The more oppression, repression, suppression and also excessiveness and inequality there is, the more violent the liberators and the liberation becomes - that is the worldly, societal dynamic and it has to do with physics

Newton’s 3rd law: for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction

The Christian is not to be involved in either of those processes, their focus is to be above all that

That is how they are in the world but not of the world

I believe what we are seeing currently is a result of massive social identity crisis and inequalities and discriminations that compound as time goes on
It takes an enormously selfish and self-centered human being to become so egregiously wealthy as the top 1%. I find myself completely unable to identify with such a person. I cannot see any humanity in them at all no matter what meager attempts they make to engage in charity primarily for tax purposes. I feel the same way about Corporate entities that accumulate wealth at the expense of their employees instead of spreading the wealth and enriching the economy.

Old 06-29-2023, 01:30 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It takes an enormously selfish and self-centered human being to become so egregiously wealthy as the top 1%.
Does this bother you?

Why?

I have never considered that it was any of my business.

Quote:
.... I find myself completely unable to identify with such a person. I cannot see any humanity in them at all no matter what meager attempts they make to engage in charity primarily for tax purposes.
It sounds to me like you are actively projecting your feelings onto these other people.

Quote:
... I feel the same way about Corporate entities that accumulate wealth at the expense of their employees instead of spreading the wealth and enriching the economy.
Any corporation that employs people and provides a product or service to society, is enriching society.

In my country, most of our nation's tax revenue comes from corporations.

Old 06-29-2023, 01:35 PM

33,223 posts, read 26,417,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I'm sure that there are many Christians who welcome any forthcoming persecution and suffering since such trials and tribulations apparently herald the soon return of Jesus. So, how many of you look forward to persecution and suffering? I mean, if it doesn't happen as per the Bible then Jesus won't appear. This seems to be a case of "Oh my, this is terrible!" followed quickly by "Oh my, this is wonderful!"
No persecution and suffering for me. I want my comforts.

Old 06-29-2023, 01:50 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,685,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
No persecution and suffering for me. I want my comforts.
I think what some people think of as persecution is actually more about intolerance of others (and that can go both ways, especially when you get 2 intolerant people or types of people at each other)

I try to quietly live my life in peace and living within the societal and moral boundaries of not intentionally lying, cheating, stealing, etc

Old 06-29-2023, 02:10 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Does this bother you?
Why?
I have never considered that it was any of my business.
It sounds to me like you are actively projecting your feelings onto these other people.
Any corporation that employs people and provides a product or service to society, is enriching society.
In my country, most of our nation's tax revenue comes from corporations.
It does not bother me.I just do not understand such enormous greed and selfishness, that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity