Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2023, 04:36 PM

529 posts, read 182,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRoadg View Post
It's all about the candy.
Ha-ha Rocky road which is a very interesting name you have by the way lol. I have coven family members that used to joke with me by saying " Come to the dark side, we have better candy!" Oh those were fun days I miss with my coven family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2023, 05:36 PM

23,141 posts, read 10,438,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High.priestess.Sarah View Post
Hello, I was wondering if you could help me out on this question because it always confuses me when I hear about Halloween. I noticed a few Christian churches in my area substitute the name Fall Harvest Festival, instead of calling it Halloween.

When did Christians equate the origins of Halloween being an evil night? Is it because Halloween, or All Hallows Eve happens the night before and darkness night before day's light is evil? To us it is the third and final harvest celebration we have before Winters slumber takes hold in our area. It is our New Year where we reflect on our past, give thanks to Mother Earth for blessing our crops, honor our elders that passed on in dance and music, as we invite them to celebrate this sacred family moment with our loved ones. This is the time we also let go of the things that harmed us during the past year, so tomorrow's New Year, can start fresh and new with love in our hearts. We don't call the sacred night Halloween though, we call it Samhain which Irish Gaelic language literally translates to Summer's End. I hope our ways can comfort Christians in knowing there is no evil in our Samhain celebrations and hope it helps you feel less anxious about the wonderful and loving family celebration we have during the Final Falls Harvest.

Do you celebrate or fear Halloween? I really would like to know, thanks!

My favorite holy day almost.

Old 10-13-2023, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
My favorite holy day almost.
my favorite Holliday too Hannibal Flavius!

Old 10-13-2023, 07:27 PM

23,141 posts, read 10,438,364 times
People can think they are cool, but if they didn't Halloween in the 60's, they missed out on cool that was gone by the 70's.

Old 10-13-2023, 07:39 PM

188 posts, read 358,079 times
Many churches by me do trunk or treat. Everyone dresses in costumes and pass out candy. Sometimes they will have pumpkin carving contests and things like that.

Old 10-13-2023, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieRose View Post
Many churches by me do trunk or treat. Everyone dresses in costumes and pass out candy. Sometimes they will have pumpkin carving contests and things like that.
I heard that phrase before AbbieRose lol. Does trunk or treat mean it's a gathering of people around cars where candy and treats are in the trunk?

Old 10-13-2023, 07:54 PM

4,858 posts, read 451,959 times
It's All Hallows' Eve. the Eve of All Saints' Day.
It got morphed and ruined and commercialized.

On the church calendar, the day before All Saints is ALL SOULS. In Mexico and maybe elsewhere, they call it the Day of the Dead.

And in the CHURCH, All Souls Day has in some places been stretched and manipulated into a special, lovely, super-dooper day for Masses and "Indulgences." Instant release for souls in Purgatory.

But... what's Purgatory??? (ORK!)

Old 10-13-2023, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitonmywhat View Post

And in the CHURCH, All Souls Day has in some places been stretched and manipulated into a special, lovely, super-dooper day for Masses and "Indulgences." Instant release for souls in Purgatory.

Christian Purgatory is equivalent to Earth bound spirits from a Wicca perspective in my opinion. It is a spiritual place separate from Heaven just like our physical Earth that is very close to us and separated only by a thin veil. It is the occult world or hidden world where dearly departed spirits were not ready or able to go to Summer land or in Christian terms, "Heaven" yet.

I am able to communicate with people in Purgatory or Earth Bound spirits because they are so close to our living realm. I am unable to communicate with people in Heaven because there is a tremendous and beautiful light barrier that separates our worlds. I'm not speaking for all Wicca faiths, just mine but it is very similar to Catholics beliefs in Purgatory. The only difference is that I don't think the Earth bound spirits are in Purgatory because of punishment. I believe they need to be near our Earth until they can observe, remember when they were alive, and heal from their ordeal until they are ready to cross over into the light. I am going to have a special Wicca ritual on October 31st at 2300 hrs to invite the spirits that are ready to leave the Earth to cross into the light. I'm going with them to the light and have them hold my open hand. My hand must stay open so they can leave me if they change their minds. This is one of many things I will be doing on Samhain night Christians know as (Halloween). God I love being a witch!

Old 10-14-2023, 05:35 AM

30,254 posts, read 23,727,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High.priestess.Sarah View Post
Hello, I was wondering if you could help me out on this question because it always confuses me when I hear about Halloween. I noticed a few Christian churches in my area substitute the name Fall Harvest Festival, instead of calling it Halloween.

When did Christians equate the origins of Halloween being an evil night? Is it because Halloween, or All Hallows Eve happens the night before and darkness night before day's light is evil? To us it is the third and final harvest celebration we have before Winters slumber takes hold in our area. It is our New Year where we reflect on our past, give thanks to Mother Earth for blessing our crops, honor our elders that passed on in dance and music, as we invite them to celebrate this sacred family moment with our loved ones. This is the time we also let go of the things that harmed us during the past year, so tomorrow's New Year, can start fresh and new with love in our hearts. We don't call the sacred night Halloween though, we call it Samhain which Irish Gaelic language literally translates to Summer's End. I hope our ways can comfort Christians in knowing there is no evil in our Samhain celebrations and hope it helps you feel less anxious about the wonderful and loving family celebration we have during the Final Falls Harvest.

Do you celebrate or fear Halloween? I really would like to know, thanks!
I love how you come out of the gate, swinging. It has nothing to do with 'fear', and everything to do with it being a pagan holiday.

End.

No unnecessary drama attached.

I did get a good laugh at your 'loving' bit. You come in here, immediately attack Christians, but want to talk about how 'loving' you are.

Ok.

You do your pagan thing, we'll do our Christian thing.

Old 10-14-2023, 06:19 AM

43,073 posts, read 18,246,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitonmywhat View Post
It's All Hallows' Eve. the Eve of All Saints' Day.
It got morphed and ruined and commercialized.

On the church calendar, the day before All Saints is ALL SOULS. In Mexico and maybe elsewhere, they call it the Day of the Dead.

That didn't happen until Pope Gregory III in 740ish AD.
And that was done to try to "morph" Samhain into a christian holiday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity