Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2023, 11:42 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
We have discussed this ad nauseum. I’m done with it. As I said. we will each give an account when we stand before the judgement seat.
Yes, we will. And you know what, I believe that God will put a whole lot of stock in the condition of our hearts when He judges us. I believe He values our integrity in trying our best to worship as we genuinely believe we should. If any of us have any errors in doctrine, I can see Him clearing those up right away without them keeping us from entering His presence. (This, incidentally, is something Mystic and I have come to an agreement on. It has, on occasion, kept us from eating each other alive. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2023, 02:52 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
And if you read John 10, or any of the other chapters where he makes an "I AM" statement with the same hermeneutic you apply to John 6, you come away thinking he's a door, or a light, or a vine, etc.

But you don't. Why is that? Why won't you be consistent?
Well, I thought we were discussing John6, but if you must;
Yes, Jesus also describes Himself as a vine, to which we must stay attached also to feed on , lest we wither and are thrown away into the fire.
In Genesis He is also The Tree of Life, at the center of the garden, from which Adam and Eve could also have taken and eaten to live forever (gen 3:22) , had they also not chosen to disobey and gotten thrown out.
Jesus is indeed the door , a narrow gate in fact, only thru which one can enter The Kingdom.
And light, yes, "His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance."

"Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me." Jn 6:57
(The risen) Jesus said (to Peter), “Feed my lambs.”" Jn 21:15

Old 11-22-2023, 03:07 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Well, I thought we were discussing John6, but if you must;
Yes, we are. But we don't rip a verse out of context. You should realize that it's all part of a bigger work.
Quote:

Yes, Jesus also describes Himself as a vine, to which we must stay attached also to feed on , lest we wither and are thrown away into the fire.
In Genesis He is also The Tree of Life, at the center of the garden, from which Adam and Eve could also have taken and eaten to live forever (gen 3:22) , had they also not chosen to disobey and gotten thrown out.
Jesus is indeed the door , a narrow gate in fact, only thru which one can enter The Kingdom.
And light, yes, "His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance."

"Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me." Jn 6:57
(The risen) Jesus said (to Peter), “Feed my lambs.”" Jn 21:15
So why don't you read them all the same way?

Old 11-22-2023, 04:09 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,264,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yes, we will. And you know what, I believe that God will put a whole lot of stock in the condition of our hearts when He judges us. I believe He values our integrity in trying our best to worship as we genuinely believe we should. If any of us have any errors in doctrine, I can see Him clearing those up right away without them keeping us from entering His presence. (This, incidentally, is something Mystic and I have come to an agreement on. It has, on occasion, kept us from eating each other alive. )
Actually, the condition of our heart would make a great thread topic. I’m thinking that if our hearts are right with the Lord, then we will do as says.

Here’s what I found about how we will be judged.

Romans 2
But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;

John 12:48
He who rejects Me and does not receive My sayings, has one who judges him; the word I spoke is what will judge him at the last day.

John 3:18
He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

John 5:24
“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

John 3:36
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.

Old 11-22-2023, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes, we are. But we don't rip a verse out of context. You should realize that it's all part of a bigger work.
So why don't you read them all the same way?
'rip a verse out of context' ?

How can you not read the 10 verses in John 6 of Jesus speaking the bread and wine IS HIS flesh and blood - and then say 'I take it out of context'?

Old 11-22-2023, 04:26 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Actually, the condition of our heart would make a great thread topic.
I agree.

Quote:
I’m thinking that if our hearts are right with the Lord, then we will do as says.
We can only do what we believe He was saying. Sometimes, it's obvious, but there are times when we disagree on what He actually meant. I'm thinking, of course, of this whole Real Presence/Transubstantiation debate. That's where integrity comes in. And by integrity, I mean when our beliefs and our behaviors do not contradict each other. I see it as the opposite of hypocrisy.

Quote:
Here’s what I found about how we will be judged.

Romans 2
But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;

John 12:48
He who rejects Me and does not receive My sayings, has one who judges him; the word I spoke is what will judge him at the last day.

John 3:18
He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

John 5:24
“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

John 3:36
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.
All excellent passages.

Old 11-22-2023, 04:39 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,264,560 times
Quote:
'rip a verse out of context' ?

How can you not read the 10 verses in John 6 of Jesus speaking the bread and wine IS HIS flesh and blood - and then say 'I take it out of context'?
Bread is pretty much in the context of the entire chapter.

Old 11-22-2023, 05:14 PM

Quote:
63The Spirit gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life. 64However, there are some of you who do not believe.”

We have discussed this ad nauseum. I’m done with it. As I said. we will each give an account when we stand before the judgement seat.
Ok then, so 'pre-denominational Christians' ;

a) like Docetists, "do not confess that the Eucharist is the flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ"
(as Ignatius phrased it 110ad in his Letter to the Smyrnaeans 6:2–7:1);
b) reject apostolic authority;
c) reject the historical record of the early church;
d) annnnnd, reject links.

Got it.

Did I miss anything?

oh, and your women, do they cover their heads? A hijab, a burka, or something in-between?

Old 11-22-2023, 06:08 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Ok then, so 'pre-denominational Christians' ;

a) like Docetists, "do not confess that the Eucharist is the flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ"
(as Ignatius phrased it 110ad in his Letter to the Smyrnaeans 6:2–7:1);
b) reject apostolic authority;
c) reject the historical record of the early church;
d) annnnnd, reject links.

Got it.

Did I miss anything?

oh, and your women, do they cover their heads? A hijab, a burka, or something in-between?
I have found that the concept of God tends to be couched in minds that vary according to the degree of "magic" they are willing to incorporate into their thinking. I don't know why magic seems to be a component in God-belief, but it is. Since I had ZERO belief in magic as an atheist (and still do not), it is very obvious to me when it is present in someone's beliefs about God. Obviously, I still have zero belief in magic or I would never have spent decades trying to substantiate my experience of the existence of God with science. Your Eucharist belief is "maximum magic" and you attribute it to the manipulations of a priest (a mere human). You should not be that surprised when others do not believe it, CCCyou.

Old 11-22-2023, 06:17 PM

4,859 posts, read 451,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Hmmm. Not so fast. I have a feeling I may have misled you. I believe that Jesus is Jehovah, but I don't believe that God the Father is Jehovah, too. I'm not sure that we even know His name, but I refer to Him as Elohim.

I don't think anybody's sure. That's just what New Testament scholarship has suggested as being the approximate date of His birth.
Yes, I recall from school there was an (English?) monk, Bede the Venerable, who attempted to calculate the actual year of the birth of Jesus. He came up with 6 B.C.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bede
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity