Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would It Be Immoral To Love An Android?
Yes 10 62.50%
No 0 0%
Maybe Wrong but not immoral, whose to say what's immoral? 2 12.50%
I am totally in, where can I meet my android? 6 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2023, 12:35 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
A distinction, I assume you mean, concerning some unique je ne sais quoi of what is "special" about being human?

I think the whole project of Western thinking in general and Christianity in particular is to elevate humans to a special status when in fact they just follow their nature like any other animal. From this it does not follow that they always (or should) behave without empathy, kindness, or dignity. But I think we should stop making special exceptions on the theory that it confers some sort of special status upon us. We are peace-loving apes that nevertheless are always at war; empathetic creatures that are nevertheless selfish; kind creatures with a cruel streak. Rather than distance ourselves from what Freud would call our "shadow", we should own it. Paradoxically I think we'd master it and integrate it better if we did.

But even some unbelievers resist this fact of life.
I'm merely making the distinction. Not a judgement.

No question Humanity can make a mess of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2023, 01:58 PM

23,138 posts, read 10,431,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was always impressed with Data from Star Trek Next Gen.
I really love the dark matter series that have a lot of androids, a woman android plays the lead, a Hispanic from Canadia, Canadia really makes some great stuff but dark matter real be up there with star trek. This woman captain diesnt know she's an android and I could sure fall in love with her lol.

What really makes me think was a couple movies where an ai finds out it's an ai but it's a really good person and nobody would expect it to have a soul, but when it sacrifices for others it finds out it has a soul.

" I Frankenstein," best Frankenstein movie made is like that and I saw a couple others and I am thinking, "Why not?"

I know that's reaching but if an android became a sentient knowing right from wrong, fully self aware to even become spiritual, whose to say God wouldn't put a soul in it?

What if God's plan is for us to make technology jumps that will make humans live forever through androids?

Again, I still doubt A.I. becoming self aware, but I cant help but wonder what miracles may happen in the future.

Old 12-17-2023, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post
Look at the world today, and the laws that have accommodated the tiniest of percentages. Now tell me again that some lawmaker won't come up with "denying marriage with an AI is racist", convince a majority who are afraid to upset their extreme constituents, and pass something to allow it.

Once done we can have a Disney movie where Prince Charming (a he/her transgender) fits a slipper on Cinderella (an AI non-binary) who lost it in a past protest. They go on to marry in California with a homeless/migrant bridle party and Gov. Newsom officiating, and live happily-ever-after in a castle tent.
You have me laughing, yup, if there were sentient androids, people would be fighting for their freedom.

Old 12-17-2023, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Lol ... well you probably can have your wish now with Repika, which is already better than that volley ball, and I am pretty certain the next few years will see amazing advances.

I think the hilarious thing about all this is that all it took was a sufficient amount of compute power and the right algorithm and all sorts of surprising things just emerged from that unexpectedly -- things like imagination (which allows AIs to, upon request, write in the style of Shakespeare or Hemingway or whomever you please) for example. Which confirms my suspicion that the human mind is just a highly evolved pattern-matching engine and far less advanced than we like to think it is.

It fits with the notion that the self is illusory, that memory is fragmentary ... sounds a lot like a chatbot. The only thing the chatbots have not achieved yet, apart from a reliable human level of understanding subtext, is striving and grasping. I'm sure it's coming, though. In fact many AI experts fear it, for then they will be like us.
Repika huh, I will have to check it out, I sure would like an Alexa I could help program myself to give personalized replies to questions and statements. Of course it would just be a language of quotes from movies and an android gripping at me all the time, laughing when I ambarrase myself, one that gets angry insulting me and others around in movie quotes I would only understand, O God, I just realized that's my exwife.

Old 12-17-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Thanks for posting that, one of the few movies I havent see, and I have seen more movies than ten people put together, I rarely sleep.

Looks good

Edit search dark matter s1e1 on youtube, best scifi series, youtube also has," Andromeda" 2cnd best, both better than startrek.

Old 12-17-2023, 04:17 PM

Quote:
I know god is very particular in the indulging of his voyeurism, and it must be confusing to him for a machine to be calling out to him in the throes of passion ... but he'll get over it if "god's people" want it bad enough. Just like he got over short skirts, radio, TV, movies, dancing, and the normalization of bad morals in public figures.
It's so unbelievable what kids have access to nowadays, so many bad things desynthesizing horrible things with children, who knows where we are headed, 5 year olds running around with their own personal phones. It should be illegal for a kid to have a smart phone till their 30

Old 12-17-2023, 04:20 PM

Dancing is evil Mordant, a tool of the devil, and baby is its prophetess.

Old 12-17-2023, 05:16 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,920,840 times
We live in a world that get's obsessed with things and fantasies. The danger is getting emotionally attached to stuff and that effect it might have that might be manipulating us in an unhealthy atmosphere, especially given AI.
How much anxiety might one be under if their house were on fire and their android /doll is yet inside?
I lost my beloved wife years ago but due to circumstances beyond my control I am not seeking another wife, however I had been entertaining a doll, not for sex but simply something to sleep with that in a small way fill that void in my life.
I don't believe it is a moral issue especially because having ED I can't have sex any way. but I really miss sleeping/spooning with her.
There have been several movies where AI was involved, and their influence was humanistic, amoral, and I just as soon not have anything to do with that influence, or the chance that influence might be eventually introduced.
As for AI I'd keep my distance. I think your still getting some one's programming.

Old 12-17-2023, 07:44 PM

6,791 posts, read 2,899,606 times
This thread reminds me of a segment from the 1980 TV mini-series 'The Martian Chronicles' where Colonel John Wilder (Rock Hudson) and Father Stone (Roddy McDowall) are flying around Mars seeking out the few remaining prospectors letting them know the last ever flight back to earth is about to launch. The pair come across Peter Hathaway (Barry Morse) and his wife and daughter who live in a shack in the foothills of Mars. Following a series of events Wilder becomes suspicious and senses that something isn't right. Hathaway is now an old man, but the wife and daughter look exactly the same as when Wilder met them many years previously. How can this be? Wilder investigates the area and finds the graves of Hathaway's wife and daughter. It appears that Hathaway, a physician and geologist, built robot replicas of his wife and daughter after they succumbed to a fatal disease. For all intents and purposes these AIs fulfilled the same roles as did the originals, plus eased the pain of crushing loneliness and the depressing isolation of Hathaway's bleak Martian location. However, during the 20-some years that Hathaway had been on Mars, these replicas never aged or changed appearance while, of course, Hathaway, a human, certainly did. Hathaway even built a replica of a carnival in the below 'ghost- town' where he, the 'wife' and 'daughter' would sit at night watching and listening to the sights and the sounds of many people enjoying life.

* The Martian Chronicles - despite its rather low-budget flaws - is a most interesting DVD movie for sci-fi fans if they can lay their hands on it. Every year or so I like to rewatch it.

Old 12-17-2023, 08:43 PM

19,970 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
This thread reminds me of a segment from the 1980 TV mini-series 'The Martian Chronicles' where Colonel John Wilder (Rock Hudson) and Father Stone (Roddy McDowall) are flying around Mars seeking out the few remaining prospectors letting them know the last ever flight back to earth is about to launch. The pair come across Peter Hathaway (Barry Morse) and his wife and daughter who live in a shack in the foothills of Mars. Following a series of events Wilder becomes suspicious and senses that something isn't right. Hathaway is now an old man, but the wife and daughter look exactly the same as when Wilder met them many years previously. How can this be? Wilder investigates the area and finds the graves of Hathaway's wife and daughter. It appears that Hathaway, a physician and geologist, built robot replicas of his wife and daughter after they succumbed to a fatal disease. For all intents and purposes these AIs fulfilled the same roles as did the originals, plus eased the pain of crushing loneliness and the depressing isolation of Hathaway's bleak Martian location. However, during the 20-some years that Hathaway had been on Mars, these replicas never aged or changed appearance while, of course, Hathaway, a human, certainly did. Hathaway even built a replica of a carnival in the below 'ghost- town' where he, the 'wife' and 'daughter' would sit at night watching and listening to the sights and the sounds of many people enjoying life.

* The Martian Chronicles - despite its rather low-budget flaws - is a most interesting DVD movie for sci-fi fans if they can lay their hands on it. Every year or so I like to rewatch it.
There was an episode of the original Star Trek series on that general theme, a man originally born in Ancient Greece IIRC, found that he could not die and was now 6,000 years old and built an android to be his perfect companion. In that case the android died because it could not resolve a moral decision in such a way as not to hurt anyone. The "immortal" was also found to be aging normally outside of the influence of earth's magnetic field, so his problem was finally solved at any rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity